Collecting Geocoins

mat.knott

Check the number on the website. If it's been activated it's meant to travel like a TB(should have a mission stated). If it hasn't been activated or is non-trackable, then it's yours to what you want with it.

But only if you trade fairly for it otherwise it's called stealing.

Hi :P

Whats the deal with geocoins? i have read there collectable but does that mean you buy them to keep them or if you find one in a cache you can keep it if you want?

Or are they the same as TB's where you just move it on?

Mat,

two tabs up from the Forums tab is one labelled Trackable Items. Check it out. It has links for Geocoins, Travel Bugs and Promotionals.

However unlike the Travel Bug section you won't find a link for ordering coins since they are not made by Groundspeak the parent company of Geocaching.com but you can find links to approved coinmakers and vendours under Geocoins Home. It may get a little confusing at that point but when you're ready to handle it there are a handfull of pinned threads at the top of the Geocoin Discussions with much more info to set you straight... should you wish it!

Hi :D

Whats the deal with geocoins? i have read there collectable but does that mean you buy them to keep them or if you find one in a cache you can keep it if you want?

Or are they the same as TB's where you just move it on?

You Can Buy coins :

to keep and collect.

to activate and move on

to activate and let others " dicover" at events etc

to share as "missions"

to give as gifts.

If you find one in a cache, Please log to make sure it is or isn't activated. If activated . .. PLEASE move along

thanks for all your posts guys.. i get the idea now :D

when ever i do trade i always make sure i put at least the same back in but i do try and put more in.

Now that i know geocoins are like TB ill check any that i find. Are they easy to tell when you find one like a tb or do they just look like a coin?

thanks for all your posts guys.. i get the idea now :D

when ever i do trade i always make sure i put at least the same back in but i do try and put more in.

Now that i know geocoins are like TB ill check any that i find. Are they easy to tell when you find one like a tb or do they just look like a coin?

Some will attach something to a coin :D

Hey Mat.knott:

Welcome to the forum. Many geocoins have tracking numbers on the back. When you get a new coin, it does not come activated. Often, people who collect geocoins with tracking numbers prefer that they are not activated, but opinions vary as to whether you should activate or not. Personally, I don't activate them unless I'm going to set them free to travel. Once you do, there is a paper trail that proves it is yours in case it gets lost or stolen. Many folks who bring binders of coins to shows will activate them in case one slips away. But be advised that once it is activated, it cannot be un-activated. If you do activate a coin and later decide to sell, trade or give it away, you can allow the recipient to "adopt" it, so it will then be in their name.

Now, a geocoin can also be a travel bug. If you acticate it and leave it in a cache, it is considered a TB. Some people (including yours truly) will drill a hole in the coin and attach the coin to something else like a stuffed animal or they will attach a "mission statement" to it. A mission statement lets people know where you would like the coin to go. Some people just want the coin to go wherever it feel like, others want to send it to California, or to Norway. Maybe you want it to travel within 50 miles of your home town or to visit each of the 50 states. Maybe you want it to travel down along the Appalachian trail, it's up to you. This is one example of a coin with a mission statement:

2008-06-19004.jpg

I'm hoping to get this one to the Four Corners Monument out west. If you find a coin in a cache, check it out to see if it's activated like rifleman81 said. A lot of people leave coins behind in the cache for the next lucky person to find and keep as a gift or for swag (item available for trade). I've left coins as gifts, but will write a little note inside the coin flip so that the recipient know it is a gift and not a TB.

Also, there is something called a signature (sig) item that is like a person's or a group's personal calling card. Sometimes these are coins, but they can be almost anything. Check out this thread for examples of sig items. You don't have to read it all, just scroll down to find pictures. Many of these are amazing:

Sig Items Link

Hope this helps.

Check the number on the website. If it's been activated it's meant to travel like a TB(should have a mission stated). If it hasn't been activated or is non-trackable, then it's yours to what you want with it.

Yes, that is an important thing to remember. Also, if you find a cache that has more than one, don't take all of them. Unless they've been sitting there for a long time and need to be moved on. I've seen where caches will get a few coins and bugs and one person comes along and grabs all of them and they've only been there a few days. I usually will grab one to move and discover the rest. That gives other cachers in that area a chance to discover them.

Yes, that is an important thing to remember. Also, if you find a cache that has more than one, don't take all of them. Unless they've been sitting there for a long time and need to be moved on. I've seen where caches will get a few coins and bugs and one person comes along and grabs all of them and they've only been there a few days. I usually will grab one to move and discover the rest. That gives other cachers in that area a chance to discover them.

If you can help them toward their goal, don't feel obligated to leave it in the cache in order to not disappoint the next finders!! The owner of the trackable would usually prefer to see it moved toward it's goal!