Central "Joisey" Caches?

StephenTravels

Greetings! I'm a cacher from Washington State and I'll be visiting the East Coast to visit family in New Jersey (particularly Cinnaminson/Willingsboro area) this summer near the end of July through August. Of course, no out-of-state trip is complete without grabbing a few caches here and there! So I was wondering if any locals might be able to point out a few "must-do" or other kind of interesting caches in that area...pretty much Central New Jersey and nearby areas in Pennsylvania. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

In central NJ, Melvin's Multiple Madness is a good one if you have a few hours and the gumption.

Also check out some of the caches in the Sourlands (just do a keyword search on "Sourland" for list of a few.

I'd recommend some northern NJ caches like NY NJ Multi Stage, Multi Cache, or the Giants Stairs, which are classics, but the Cinnaminson/Willingboro area is more south, than central NJ, so you're talking a 2 hour drive to those.

Also check out Wharton State Forest. It's a bit closer to you and has a lot of caches. Very flat down there, but

it's a cool area nonetheless.

Edited by briansnat
Greetings! I'm a cacher from Washington State and I'll be visiting the East Coast to visit family in New Jersey (particularly Cinnaminson/Willingsboro area) this summer near the end of July through August. Of course, no out-of-state trip is complete without grabbing a few caches here and there! So I was wondering if any locals might be able to point out a few "must-do" or other kind of interesting caches in that area...pretty much Central New Jersey and nearby areas in Pennsylvania. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

The Cinnamison/Willingsboro is more of the South Jersey turf, so I'm so some one from there will check in with a best of bookmark list for you.

But, from my experiece of the Best caches in that area, I've found that you can't go wrong seeking a 4 Wheeling Fool cache.

The Cinnamison/Willingsboro is mostly urban, but the nearby preserve has several caches and is a really nice walk along the Deleware River.

Not much further away is the Rancocas Wildlife Preserve. The Mud and Thorn Adventure cache gets a lot of high marks for local cachers. I haven't tried this one year, as the two time I went the park was closed. They have bankers hours there so check that out before you go.

If you're looking to get some numbers on something other than parking lot micros, head over to Wharton State forest. Go straight for Can you Follow Directions and then spend a day grabbing a bunch of the gazzilion caches in the park.

The last cache I would suggest might be tricky for you to coordinate, but is a great experience.

In Camden is one of the Peter Pan caches. With some planning ahead you should be able to get this one. While it's mostly an urban caching experience the whole layout is pretty unique.

If you like puzzles and you are in Philly, I think this is a must do:

National Treasure 1

If you read the cache page carefully and review the logs, you should be able to figure out where to go when you get to the GZ :P The other caches by this hider are all great too if you like puzzles.

This is my recommended caches list: link but I haven't updated in a while. They are a bit all over the map. I concur with "Rancocas Mud and Thorn Adventure" and there is another really good one in the same park: "The Secret Stash of Edward Teach, 1717" (on my recommended list). If you have a bike and like slightly urban caches, I really liked "Tour de Michaelcycle" (also on my recommended list) ...and I don't normally like urban type caches. One of the stages on that cache was very creative and I have not seen anything like it before.

If you have or can rent a canoe or kayak, head up north to Split Rock reservoir, where there are a ton of paddle-tos (search around Island in the Sun) or head south down Route 55 and visit the new string of caches along the Maurice River, paddling upstream from Union Lake Lovely Lilly Laden Lake OR head down one of the many rivers in Wharton State Forest (Mullica, Batsto, Wading)...there are many boat rental places down there that run trips down these rivers and lots of paddle-tos on each one (i.e. Ditsy B goes for a swim down river, ka-plunk) You can search around this cache for the bazillion other non-paddle to caches in WSF as well and there are a number of night caches in the area too, as well as in Lebanon state forest which is just a bit to the north west of Wharton.

If you shoot down Route 130 a bit, this cache is pretty unique: seven tee 5 Just make sure you check the tides, as you cannot access it unless it is low tide. At low tide you can walk right out to it...at high tide, you would have to swim :laughing: Not the most attractive area in the state, but a good view of the Philly skyline and worth it for the unique placement. There are 3-4 other caches on the way.

Edited by trowel32

The only people who say "Joisey" are from Brooklyn & the Bronx...

I don't know... I grew up in Brooklyn and we always called it New Jersey, it might have sounded like 'Joisey' but that's just that dumb sounding Brooklyn accent. For some reason it sounds a bit derogatory when someone not from New Jersey calls it Joisey.

(sorry if I went down the wrong 'topic' trail)

-On topic- Double Trouble State Park is a great place to cache.

Edited by macatac1961

Dang! I'm a Joisey boy! (Okay. Move here at the age of three months from Westchester.) Been livng in Joisey longer than you have. I'm proud to be a Joisey boy! Still working hard on my Joisey accent. What's the capital of Joisey? Trent'n. Work on your glottal stop! Wharton? hWart'n. :)

Not according to Joe Piscopo. (Who according to Wikipedia is from Passaic), and his recurring SNL character that said "I'm from Joisey. Are you from Joisey? I'm from Joisey". Blame him. Nice career, Joe. :)

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Not according to Joe Piscopo. (Who according to Wikipedia is from Passaic), and his recurring SNL character that said "I'm from Joisey. Are you from Joisey? I'm from Joisey". Blame him. Nice career, Joe. :)

Born and raised in Passaic myself and I assure you nobody from NJ calls it "Joisey". By the way it's "Pa-sake" or "Piss-ake" , not "Pa-Say-ik". The latter pronunciation drives anybody from Passaic mad.

It's also "Nork" not "New-ark" and "We-quake" not "We-quay-ik".

Finally nobody from NJ says "What exit?" If you tell us what town you live in, we know which exit. Passaic, is exit 153.

The entire discussion is fascinating, being that I grew up in Paramus Exit 163 ( not Pair a Moose) , but Mr. Snat why is it THE BRONX ? Why not A Bronx ? TIA :)

Actually it was named after the Broncks family who owned a few hundred acres in what is now The Bronx back in the 1600's (imagine how rich they'd be today had they held on to it). I guess people would say they are visiting the Broncks or give directions by telling people to ride past the Broncks, then make a left at...

Edit: looks like I was wrong. It didn't come to be called The Bronx until the late 1800's when it came to be called The Bronx because it was along The Bronx River (which the fore mentioned Broncks family named after their selves in the 1600's).

Amazing what you can find through Google.

Why is it The Bronx?

NY Times letter to the editor - 1993

Edited by briansnat

Born and raised in Passaic myself and I assure you nobody from NJ calls it "Joisey". By the way it's "Pa-sake" or "Piss-ake" , not "Pa-Say-ik". The latter pronunciation drives anybody from Passaic mad.

It's also "Nork" not "New-ark" and "We-quake" not "We-quay-ik".

Finally nobody from NJ says "What exit?" If you tell us what town you live in, we know which exit. Passaic, is exit 153.

What do I know? I grew up in MARS-town (Morristown). You can tell when a New York broadcaster is not from the area when he or she tells you about the bear on 287 in ber-NARDS-ville. Heard a broadcaster on QXR reading the ad for a piano sale on 202 in TOE-uh-co.

But, of more interest, am I right in suspecting that Wanaque and Wyanokie derive from the same Indian name? Even though they are pronounced WAN-uh-cue and wye-uh-NO-key.

What do I know? I grew up in MARS-town (Morristown). You can tell when a New York broadcaster is not from the area when he or she tells you about the bear on 287 in ber-NARDS-ville. Heard a broadcaster on QXR reading the ad for a piano sale on 202 in TOE-uh-co.

It's hard to fit into North Jersey if you don't speak the language. People get all kinds of confused when you ask them how to get to 'PEA-kwa-nock'.

It's hard to fit into North Jersey if you don't speak the language. People get all kinds of confused when you ask them how to get to 'PEA-kwa-nock'.

Every time I go on vacation outside of New Jersey and tell someone I'm from this great state, they ALWAYS say, "OHHH New JOIsey!". :P It then becomes embarrassing, (for my wife), because I then say..."No...New JERRR-SEY! Then I tell them that there are about 20 people in the state that say Joisey and they live on the border of New Yawk in...(dare I say it???)...Joisey City!!! (waiting for the barrage of complaints....) :D

I grew up in Pequannock (the town's name was actually on a spelling test when I was a kid). I work in Moonachie. I have a blast when the tech support people go to pronounce "Moonachie" and stop because they are too embarrassed to continue until I dare them to attempt it. Ahh but I'll get off my high horse, because I'm sure I probably perpetuate some kind of mispronunciation of someones home town. <_<

FRENCHTOWN, I have been asked to run a bicycle trip for the local boy scout troop, and I am leaning toward the D&R Canal Towpath from Frenchtown to Stockton and back, I have PQ'd the caches as I plan on pre-riding the route before taking them on the ride in Sept. My question has more to do with the conditions of the path, I had ridden it several years back with my son, when he was still involved and it was a beautiful ride, and thereafter it flooded, I wanted to know if it is open and repaired and overall conditions, before I drive down. I may try tomorrow AM, so any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Packanack

Recommended, I did make the ride from Frenchtown to Pralls Mill complex on the smooth and level D&R Canal towpath and thought that those who like to bike and cache could do far worse than this delightful trip. Although I only logged one cache on this trip, I hope to return soon and pick up a few more.