Cache on in the Isle of Man

A really good article that points out the neccessary bits and pieces. Nice one.

Some geocaches are designated “Waymarks”, and there is not even a log book at the location: the idea is to point out something notable.

This is the only bit I am unsure about? :anibad: Waymarks aren't geocaches, as they don't get credited to your geocaching account. The statement does describe virtuals and earthcaches though, as they don't have logbooks.

I am pleased to see that the statement did stop short of saying - Some geocaches are designated “Waymarks”, and there is not even a log book at the location: the idea is to point out something notable such as a McDonalds :huh::rolleyes:

Only jesting :ph34r:

Well I've got it all sorted. Ferry booked. Campsite in Peel booked. We'll be on the island for our 2nd annual visit from the 18th to the 27th August. Hopefully I'll be better organised than last year. :rolleyes:

If anybody fancies a spot of caching, locals or visitors, between those dates we'll always welcome the company.

I've got 4 weeks to get some of the puzzles worked out and I've still got the details gathered from the caches we managed to find last year. I still can't believe we only managed to find less than 10% of our intended total, although I still can't believe we could have so many mishaps in the space of one week. :rolleyes::blink:

Still looking forward to our visit though. We really enjoyed the scenery last year and we're hoping to go up to the Point of Ayre this time. I wouldn't mind a trip to the calf of man as well. :sunsure:

Now counting the days and we've also got Piratemania and the Mega event to look forward to beforehand :blink:

We still have a Isle of Man geocoin and associated OS map waiting to go out on loan to anyone visiting the island:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...a9-b01eea78d7a0

I promised markandlynne I would keep an eye out for anyone going there - however they have been sadly sitting on my bookshelf since March - all unloved - go on , you know you want to take them for a trip back 'home'! :sad: Just contact me through gc.com

Lisa

Well I've got it all sorted. Ferry booked. Campsite in Peel booked. We'll be on the island for our 2nd annual visit from the 18th to the 27th August. Hopefully I'll be better organised than last year. :anitongue:

If anybody fancies a spot of caching, locals or visitors, between those dates we'll always welcome the company.

I've got 4 weeks to get some of the puzzles worked out and I've still got the details gathered from the caches we managed to find last year. I still can't believe we only managed to find less than 10% of our intended total, although I still can't believe we could have so many mishaps in the space of one week. :laughing::lol:

Still looking forward to our visit though. We really enjoyed the scenery last year and we're hoping to go up to the Point of Ayre this time. I wouldn't mind a trip to the calf of man as well. :ph34r:

Now counting the days and we've also got Piratemania and the Mega event to look forward to beforehand :lol:

If you can beg, borrow or buy a Garmin Nuvi for when you come across you can load it with full cache details (including descriptions, hints and logs - and soon (perhaps) photos too). It does have complete coverage of the IOM roads, and the SMC contour maps can be overlaid as well to give the total paperless caching solution. I can lend you one for a couple of days whilst you're here if you can't get one beforehand.

On top of that, there's a way of loading the local maps from Openstreetmap into a Garmin mapping GPSr: these maps have contours and footpaths as well as roads.

That should cut out some of the potential mishaps!

If you need instructions on all this, let me know by e-mail. The Calf trip is highly recommended, by the way - plenty of seals on the way even if you don't see sharks.

We still have a Isle of Man geocoin and associated OS map waiting to go out on loan to anyone visiting the island:

I promised markandlynne I would keep an eye out for anyone going there - however they have been sadly sitting on my bookshelf since March - all unloved - go on , you know you want to take them for a trip back 'home'! :anitongue: Just contact me through gc.com

Lisa

Im thinking it may be better in an IOM cache "unsure" but it needs to be somewhere you can go early in the holiday and get back to later in the holiday.

Still happy for it to remain with you in the meantime or you could virtually log it into an IOM cache with a note to contact you for it ??

Not sure how to proceed allthough im certain we want to share it with other cachers on the island.

HH any thoughts ?

I promised markandlynne I would keep an eye out for anyone going there - however they have been sadly sitting on my bookshelf since March - all unloved - go on , you know you want to take them for a trip back 'home'! :laughing: Just contact me through gc.com

Lisa

Im thinking it may be better in an IOM cache "unsure" but it needs to be somewhere you can go early in the holiday and get back to later in the holiday.

Still happy for it to remain with you in the meantime or you could virtually log it into an IOM cache with a note to contact you for it ??

Not sure how to proceed allthough im certain we want to share it with other cachers on the island.

HH any thoughts ?

I'll be quite happy to take it over with me, I'll contact Minstrelcat via email. I'm sure we can find a cache to put it in. We found a very large one last year, The Montpelier Ford, which I'm sure wll be ideal. We found the area just by using the etrex so it should be easy for future visitors to get to.

If any local cachers know of any better caches to place it in please let me know.

:anitongue:

I promised markandlynne I would keep an eye out for anyone going there - however they have been sadly sitting on my bookshelf since March - all unloved - go on , you know you want to take them for a trip back 'home'! :laughing: Just contact me through gc.com

Lisa

HH any thoughts ?

I'll be quite happy to take it over with me, I'll contact Minstrelcat via email. I'm sure we can find a cache to put it in. We found a very large one last year, The Montpelier Ford, which I'm sure wll be ideal. We found the area just by using the etrex so it should be easy for future visitors to get to.

If any local cachers know of any better caches to place it in please let me know.

:laughing:

The Douglas Travel Bug Hotel is ideal: a large ammo box at the side of the road overlooking the sea.

Thanks. I'll make a note of that one. :laughing:

Ahh excellent news thank you. !