newbie question- quadrahelix versus patch antenna?

poloballs

Like most newbies, I'm looking for the perfect GPSr for me and my price range. I've been lurking in the forums, reading faq's, reading reviews, and googling models. I've figured out which features I think would be important to me, and based off all of this I've narrowed my choices down to only a couple of models. The eTrex Legend hcx and the GPSMap 60cx. There is just one piece missing to my research - Quadrahelix versus patch antenna. Help!

Geocacher-u.com specifically mentions that the quadrahelix antenna makes a difference in the pacific northwest, which is where I live (Oregon). Gpsinformation.net has an article about antennas that indicates the overall size of the GPSr (and antenna) is a bigger factor, meaning the patch on a smallish eTrex Legend is a drawback. But in most posts I've found from actual users, few people can tell the difference.

I can scrap together the cash for the GPSMap 60cx if that's really a better fit for the tree filled world I just moved to. But if that really won't be noticeably better than a Legend hcx, then the $70-80 saved would buy me a copy of topo 2008.

What do you think? I welcome responses from all, though I'm particularly interested in experiences from those who live in the pacific northwest or other similarly forested areas.

Thanks!!

This is an almost endless debate.

Just pick one and be done with it. :D

Really, most cachers will not be able to tell the difference.

For me, it came down to the compactness of the Etrex vs the front button arrangement of the 60's. I still have a 60CS as a backup backup. The Vista HCx is the primary, then a Venture Cx, then the 60CS. Just the other day I broke out the 60 after a year in storage in my office 'cause I left my Etrex at home. Boy, did the 60CS feel cumbersomely awkward!

Supposedly, the helix antenna prefers that the 60 be held vertically, and the patch likes to be held horizontally. I've held my HCx from one to the other and the accuracy remains the same - superb. Same for the 60CS - not superb, but accuracy remains the same. Maybe with limited visibility to the skies will the issue of horizontal v vertical be apparent.

Can't help with Pacific NW; I in the Pacific SW. :o

Both are very good units. The difference in reception is minimal- my 60 CSx usually locks onto more satellites and higher numbered WAAS ones than the gps units of other people we might hunt with no matter what gps they have--so in theory it has better accuracy, but we are just talking a hair's difference here. If the person who hid the cache was using less accuarate technology what difference is a foot or two going to make anyway?

The biggest difference is size and button position. You really need to try to get somewhere that carries both and hold them in your hands.

The Legend is smaller, the 60 is larger~ noticebly; my husband, who has large hands, prefers the 60.

The rubber gasket on the Legend body has been known to get loose or come off after some time~ it's easily repaired.

Most of the buttons on the Legend are small and located on the sides; it has a click stick you'll use when marking a new waypoint or for moving your cursor on the map. I used to power my Legend down accidentally when going after the zoom button or the page button--you quickly learn which is which.

The buttons for the 60 are located on the front and instead of the click stick there is a rocker button. The power button is on the top.

My husband prefers the 60 body style because it's easier to use while driving--he has it in a mount and he can just push the button--with our old Legends he had to hold the unit to steady it while pushing the button from the opposite direction.

With either unit you will need city navigation maps to use the autorouting feature (the top maps default to the base map, which is not as complete). I load both topo and city maps on my 60 CSx and toggle between them as needed.

(From woodsy southern Indiana near Kentucky--I don't think it matters which of these two units you choose as far as reception in the woods. The older "plain" Legend unit is another story)

Edited by Neos2

The new high sensitivity chips seem to make the anntena difference unnoticiable. I've seen some report that the 60 is a tiny bit better but not much.

So the real difference is the format. I perfer the legend out on the trail because it is compact and just works easier for one handed operation. The slightly larger screen and front facing bottons on the 60 are a bit nicer in the car. I like both of them really.

The patch antenna is a bit better at picking up sats overhead. The quad is slightly better at picking up sats lower to the horizon. Overall, one is not better than the other, only different and the differences really don't amount to much.

The patch got a bad rap some years ago because the early Garmin eTrex units that used them didn't get the best reception under trees. What people didn't realize is that it wasn't the antenna that was the issue. The newer units with the high sensitivity receivers prove that the supposed inferiority of the patch just isn't the case.

It’s an ongoing debate…done that bought the t-shirt. It comes down to one thing. Go out with one, then go out with the other, which ever you like best is the on you buy. I love the E-trex series, they are an awesome little unit. I love the 60 CSx I ended up with. It’s really up to you.

Good luck!

JPL`

If you're going to buy something lke that, you might as well buy a 76CSx. I bought mine for 226.99, I can tell you the site if you want. 1) it floats 2) buttons are at top, easier for hiking and controlling with one hand. 3) comes with a larger memory card 4) has tide tables 5) also good for around the water since it floats.

Like most newbies, I'm looking for the perfect GPSr for me and my price range. I've been lurking in the forums, reading faq's, reading reviews, and googling models. I've figured out which features I think would be important to me, and based off all of this I've narrowed my choices down to only a couple of models. The eTrex Legend hcx and the GPSMap 60cx. There is just one piece missing to my research - Quadrahelix versus patch antenna. Help!

Geocacher-u.com specifically mentions that the quadrahelix antenna makes a difference in the pacific northwest, which is where I live (Oregon). Gpsinformation.net has an article about antennas that indicates the overall size of the GPSr (and antenna) is a bigger factor, meaning the patch on a smallish eTrex Legend is a drawback. But in most posts I've found from actual users, few people can tell the difference.

I can scrap together the cash for the GPSMap 60cx if that's really a better fit for the tree filled world I just moved to. But if that really won't be noticeably better than a Legend hcx, then the $70-80 saved would buy me a copy of topo 2008.

What do you think? I welcome responses from all, though I'm particularly interested in experiences from those who live in the pacific northwest or other similarly forested areas.

Thanks!!

Edited by Insane Kangaroo

If you're going to buy something lke that, you might as well buy a 76CSx. I bought mine for 226.99, I can tell you the site if you want. 1) it floats 2) buttons are at top, easier for hiking and controlling with one hand. 3) comes with a larger memory card 4) has tide tables 5) also good for around the water since it floats.

If sales are any indication, it seems more people like the form-factor of the 60C(S)x over the 76. It doesn't float (unless you use lithium batteries), because it has a more compact shape. The 76 just barely floats, and both units are waterproof. If you're concerned about it going overboard, attach a keychain float to the lanyard, regardless of which model it is. Oh, and that's another thing. The lanyard attachment on the 76 is at the bottom, so when held by the strap, it's actually upside-down, which isn't the best position for satellite reception.

The memory card it comes with is irrelevant these days, as you can get a 2gig card for under $10, so who's not going to upgrade?

The OS of the 60 and 76 are identical, so both have tide tables, etc.

If sales are any indication, it seems more people like the form-factor of the 60C(S)x over the 76. It doesn't float (unless you use lithium batteries), because it has a more compact shape. The 76 just barely floats, and both units are waterproof. If you're concerned about it going overboard, attach a keychain float to the lanyard, regardless of which model it is. Oh, and that's another thing. The lanyard attachment on the 76 is at the bottom, so when held by the strap, it's actually upside-down, which isn't the best position for satellite reception.

The memory card it comes with is irrelevant these days, as you can get a 2gig card for under $10, so who's not going to upgrade?

The OS of the 60 and 76 are identical, so both have tide tables, etc.

I've got a 76 CS (not the "x) --and I sort of like the body style. It's like a big remote control for a TV. Of course, I use my 60 CSx instead because it gets better reception.

However, if you like the 76 body style, the 76CSx units do seem to be selling for about $75 less than the 60CSx units. You could use that cash toward a map.

Does any one hold their gps by the strap? I only use my strap to hang the gps around my neck or trekking pole while I root through the cache.