Colorado - deleting geocaches and frustration

I downloaded a number of geocaches onto my colorado, they don't show up in the geocaching listing on the device, but when I searched for it, no match found, then I tried to re-download it and it says it's there. After searching the forums I found that there is a 127-128 file limit, but I can't figure out how to delete these 127 files, plus the invisible files that I can't see. I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the lack of information in the manual, I would have guessed this is basic information, delete an unwanted geocache, delete a logged/found geocache. How do I delete it?

Your computer will see the Colorado as an external drive. Find it on your computer, there will be a folder called "Garmin" and inside that a folder called "GPX." That's where your GPX files should be. Once you find the right folder it should be easy to delete them from there.

Connect your CO to your computer

Navigate to [drive]:\Garmin\GPX in your computer's file explorer

Delete all of the files with a .gpx extension (or copy them to your computer if you want to save them and then delete them)

Unplug your CO from your computer, it will power off

Power the CO back on

Re-attach it to the computer once it has booted

Download a single gpx file (ie. PQ) to [drive]:\Garmin\GPX

Unplug

Power on

Select Others->Geocache and see if you can see the geocache(s) you downloaded

GO$Rs

I went to my computer, garmin, gpx on the computer and deteled all the files, 213 of them, followed the rest of the of your instructions and it's all good, except how to get the gpx files through a pocket query, I'm can only manage to get the loc files into gsak, so I haven't even attempted to send that to the gps unit. Fix one problem, create another, AAAaahhhhhhh

I went to my computer, garmin, gpx on the computer and deteled all the files, 213 of them, followed the rest of the of your instructions and it's all good, except how to get the gpx files through a pocket query, I'm can only manage to get the loc files into gsak, so I haven't even attempted to send that to the gps unit. Fix one problem, create another, AAAaahhhhhhh

I'm not sure I follow your issue.

If you are running PQ's you should be getting gpx files. These files can be downloaded directly into the Colorado -- same directory as above.

If you want to use GSAK, download the PQ's into GSAK same as you normally would and export a gpx from GSAK and save it the Colorado. I would suggest using the GSAK Colorado Export macro to do this as it will get the export settings just right.

The link to the GSAK macro is my FAQ in the Geocaching section.

GO$Rs

I tired that and my computer just beeped at me. I'm going to have my husband look at this tonight and see if he can make sense of it at all. I'm ready to just forget the pocket query and download the caches one by one each morning when we figure out exactly where we're going to go so we don't get into this mess of going over the 127 file limit.

I tired that and my computer just beeped at me. I'm going to have my husband look at this tonight and see if he can make sense of it at all. I'm ready to just forget the pocket query and download the caches one by one each morning when we figure out exactly where we're going to go so we don't get into this mess of going over the 127 file limit.

An easier thing to do would be to forget GSAK for now and just copy the PQ directly to your Colorado.

After you receive a PQ via email, unzip the .zip file and extract the two .gpx files contained inside to your desktop

Connect your Colorado your computer and wait for it to connect

Once connected copy the gpx files from your desktop to [drive]:\Garmin\GPX where [drive] is the driver letter that gets assigned to the Colorado when it is connected

Unplug the GPS

Power on the GPS

You should see all of the caches from the PQ on your Colorado under Shortcuts->Others->Geocaches

GO$Rs

GSAK does not directly support the Colorado. There is a macro you can download for GSAK that will let you send the files to your Colorado. Or you can directly export the GPX file to the G or H or what ever your Colorado shows up as. If the caches are all in 1 GPX file you can send up to 2000 caches. You cannot edit these caches nor delete them once they are on the Colorado until you have a PC and can overwrite the entire file. The 127 limit refers to the total number of files you can put on the GPs. You need to make sure you delete the ones you do not want on a regular basis.

I personally upload about 500 caches as a single GPX file (always use the same name that way it overwites and deletes the old data) once a week. I then only upload directly 1 at a time for a new cache that just came out that I might want to go and grab. Once done this single file can be deleted.

You could do this daily if you needed to or you could have several files each covering an area then after caching in an area just overwrite that area to update. without having to update the entire GPS

Edited by Sargents

Whoaaaa Whooo!!! It works, it really works! Okay, I figured out the pocket query thing (without any additional help from my husband either!) I've downloaded 700 caches in four queries for the four towns we're going to, I'll add in another 20 single ones that we'll do enroute to the towns. That's really cool, never thought that really, once I figued it out it would be so darn easy. Kinda makes me feel dumb for making it way harder than it really is. I did delete gsak, I like the "open file", "extract files", next, next, finish, drag, drop DONE. I didn't realize that inorder to get the gpx format, the PQ had to come through email, I was thinking that once I did the PQ, I had to go to the preview caches, check all, and download that which was only coming in in the .loc format. Anyway, everything is all good, thank you for all your patience and help, I really appreciate it.