someone please suggest a good choice for gps for this newbie

MEZMN

Hi, I am brand spanking new to this. Just found out about this game on 06/06/08 and all weekend i have been looking at the website and can't wait to get started as there are caches hidden less than .02 mi. from my front door! I want to buy a gps unit within a price range of $100-200. Can someone please make a recommendation?

I did see some cell phones with gps will work. My cell phone has navigator in it but no way to enter waypoints or latitude or longitude. Verizon is the service provider. So any help in choosing a good unit will be much appreciated!

Hi, I am brand spanking new to this. Just found out about this game on 06/06/08 and all weekend i have been looking at the website and can't wait to get started as there are caches hidden less than .02 mi. from my front door! I want to buy a gps unit within a price range of $100-200. Can someone please make a recommendation?

I did see some cell phones with gps will work. My cell phone has navigator in it but no way to enter waypoints or latitude or longitude. Verizon is the service provider. So any help in choosing a good unit will be much appreciated!

Generally I don't post links to online stores, however I still gawk at buying this 76CSx for 226.99. The price rose to 229.99 since I ordered.

http://www.compuplus.com/i-Garmin-GPSMAP-7...0-1006303~.html

Personally I'd go for the 76CSx and not a 60 series for the sake of maintained support. If you've the money for a colorado, then buy it. The above is the best deal you're going to get.

I must say one thing, GET GARMIN. Magellan's are second rate, plus you can't use the "send to GPS" feature with them. I must also mention you can get a 30 day free trial on geocaching.com for he premium caching when you buy Garmin.

Edited by Insane Kangaroo

Welcome to the Forums! :wub:

In your price range, look at the Garmin Venture HC or Legend HCx.

The 'H' in the model name refers to the "High Sensitivity" receiver. The 'x' means the GPS unit has "expandable" memory for maps and Custom POIs. Check out Garmin's "Comparison Page" to see which models area available that connect to your computer with USB, instead of with the Serial Port.

The maps are an additional expense, but you can get those later. The Topo maps do not have an Unlock code, so you can get the older versions of those on eBay to save some money.

Be sure to check the garage sale section of this forum, and EBay as well, but be careful whom you deal with there. No need to spend more than you need for a basic unit to get your feet wet and decide if this is something you want to stay after. Make if larger investment then, if you wish.

Hi, i'm in it for about 8 months, i bought a garmin etrex first, then i bought a garmin Vista Hcx, i love this unit. i bought it from amazon.com for about 230 delivered with carring case. It is in color and holds a micro chip to store topo maps. you can still buy the older model Vista cx, at a really good price, the HCX came out in the last couple months. you will not be sorry with this unit! i bought the maps on ebay for about 35.00. Gave the etrex to my 6 yr. old grandson. :wub: pthanes@alltel.net

Hi, i'm in it for about 8 months, i bought a garmin etrex first, then i bought a garmin Vista Hcx, i love this unit. i bought it from amazon.com for about 230 delivered with carring case. It is in color and holds a micro chip to store topo maps. you can still buy the older model Vista cx, at a really good price, the HCX came out in the last couple months. you will not be sorry with this unit! i bought the maps on ebay for about 35.00. Gave the etrex to my 6 yr. old grandson. :wub: pthanes@alltel.net

Thanks for the suggestions! I will check them out for sure. I can already say I am glad I came to the forums as i was looking at magellan gps units at costco but wasn't sure about them. I will stick with garmin. You mention maps you puchased also, is this needed to get started with geocashing? I guess I thought the gps unit would somewhat direct you to the area. So much to learn! I guess I have to do a little more research... the excitement is building. I want to get out there! Thanks again!

Welcome to the Forums! :wub:

In your price range, look at the Garmin Venture HC or Legend HCx.

The 'H' in the model name refers to the "High Sensitivity" receiver. The 'x' means the GPS unit has "expandable" memory for maps and Custom POIs. Check out Garmin's "Comparison Page" to see which models area available that connect to your computer with USB, instead of with the Serial Port.

The maps are an additional expense, but you can get those later. The Topo maps do not have an Unlock code, so you can get the older versions of those on eBay to save some money.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will check them both out! Also thanks about the suggestion regarding the usb connection. And I haven't even thought about the topo maps yet, so much to learn first! can't wait to get started! Thanks Again!

Thanks for the suggestions! I will check them out for sure. I can already say I am glad I came to the forums as i was looking at magellan gps units at costco but wasn't sure about them. I will stick with garmin. You mention maps you puchased also, is this needed to get started with geocashing? I guess I thought the gps unit would somewhat direct you to the area. So much to learn! I guess I have to do a little more research... the excitement is building. I want to get out there! Thanks again!

The base maps on (most) gps units will help you find the cache once you get close to the area. The additional maps you can purchase (for most) gps units will help you get to the area as well!

We found our first several hundred caches with only the base maps in the plain old Garmin Legend.

(I say "most" because there are some very low end models that do not have even base maps and/or do not accept additional maps. None of the models already suggested have that 'flaw').

Funny you mention Magellan and Costco in the same sentence. A friend's wife wrote an article for the Costco magazine. Across from the title page was a full-page ad for Magellan. He has a Magellan and tells everyone he knows to "Get a Garmin." because of all the problems he has had with his Magellan and their "Customer Service."

You can find Geocaches without maps on your GPS unit, but having at least the Topo maps gives you a bit of geographic reference, especially if you are in an unfamiliar area.

That cache that is .02 miles from your home is only about 110 feet away! Use Google Maps to locate the cache. By using landmarks such as trees, houses, etc..., you should be able to locate that cache.

As for GPS', the Etrex H is Garmin's entry level handheld GPS (not counting the Geko models). They're under $100 but unless your computer supports serial connections, you'll be entering waypoints by hand. The aforementioned Venture HC is a better entry level option. I recommend it for your price range.

Generally I don't post links to online stores, however I still gawk at buying this 76CSx for 226.99. The price rose to 229.99 since I ordered.

http://www.compuplus.com/i-Garmin-GPSMAP-7...0-1006303~.html

Personally I'd go for the 76CSx and not a 60 series for the sake of maintained support. If you've the money for a colorado, then buy it. The above is the best deal you're going to get.

I must say one thing, GET GARMIN. Magellan's are second rate, plus you can't use the "send to GPS" feature with them. I must also mention you can get a 30 day free trial on geocaching.com for he premium caching when you buy Garmin.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went with the 76csx. Should be here within the week!

That cache that is .02 miles from your home is only about 110 feet away! Use Google Maps to locate the cache. By using landmarks such as trees, houses, etc..., you should be able to locate that cache.

As for GPS', the Etrex H is Garmin's entry level handheld GPS (not counting the Geko models). They're under $100 but unless your computer supports serial connections, you'll be entering waypoints by hand. The aforementioned Venture HC is a better entry level option. I recommend it for your price range.

Ok educate me... how will google maps know where the cache is hidden? I know my neighborhood and the approximate location from the geocahing search I did. what would be my next step? Sorry I'm so green! would I be using google maps to get the landmarks?

I probably should have the person who told me about this take me on a hunt with them, just to see what the process is. But they are out of town and I'm impatient and want to get started, so hopefully my questions aren't too annoying! :o

Ok educate me... how will google maps know where the cache is hidden? I know my neighborhood and the approximate location from the geocahing search I did. what would be my next step? Sorry I'm so green! would I be using google maps to get the landmarks?

I probably should have the person who told me about this take me on a hunt with them, just to see what the process is. But they are out of town and I'm impatient and want to get started, so hopefully my questions aren't too annoying! :o

With google maps, you can pop in the coordinates of the cache you are looking for, and have it pop up with a pointer to it. That way, you can see the landmarks around it, big rocks, architectural structures, etc, to help you get a clearer idea of where the cache is. The only time it might not work is if the cache is in the middle of a heavily wooded area with nothing but trees around it such as this one at a local park.

With google maps, you can pop in the coordinates of the cache you are looking for, and have it pop up with a pointer to it. That way, you can see the landmarks around it, big rocks, architectural structures, etc, to help you get a clearer idea of where the cache is. The only time it might not work is if the cache is in the middle of a heavily wooded area with nothing but trees around it such as this one at a local park.

Got it! I checked the one near me and I think I'll try to find it without the gps unit. It's pouring down rain today but as soon as it stops I'll be on my way. Thanks for the help!

[i must also mention you can get a 30 day free trial on geocaching.com for he premium caching when you buy Garmin.

I bought a Garmin this mouth but never hard anything about that. how do you set it up ?

I think this is only for Colorado models.

Found this on the home page after clicking the link to register your new product. looks like all garmin gps can get the free month.

Each Garmin device is automatically set up to receive a complimentary 30-day Groundspeak Premium Membership.

What Do You Get With a Premium Membership?

A Groundspeak Premium Membership provides additional tools and support to enhance your geocaching experience.

Here are a few of our favorite features:

Garmin premium users have the ability to receive full text descriptions of geocaches and hints, including the last 10 cache logs.

Create and send a Pocket Query - a file containing up to 500 geocaches that is generated by your search preferences - quickly to your device. Only interested in traditional caches that are dog-friendly, with an easy terrain and difficulty? Pocket Queries make it easy to search by cache type, size, difficulty, location conditions and more.

Instant Cache notifications - Want to be one of the first notified when a new cache has been published in your area? With the Insta-Notify service you can enter in your coordinates and a search radius to be emailed whenever a new cache has been published.

Learn more Groundspeak Premium Membership features at http://www.geocaching.com/subscribe

All you need to activate your membership is:

Create a free account at Geocaching.com. Create one now

Register your new Garmin device. Register my Garmin now

Install the Garmin Communicator plugin. Install it now

Power-on and connect your Garmin device to your PC/Mac

Click to activate your 30-day trial membership

so go back to the homepage and click the link. hope this helps.

I didn't read the other posts - so it may be mentioned - but we purchased ours about 2 weeks ago strictly by price - CHEAP! And it has been very easy to use....we bought the Garmin Etrek. We knew NOTHING about GPS's how to read one or what on earth the terminology meant (waypoint, etc) but we figured it out our 1st trip out.

We got it in the sporting goods section of Walmart for like $96...

[i must also mention you can get a 30 day free trial on geocaching.com for he premium caching when you buy Garmin.

I bought a Garmin this mouth but never hard anything about that. how do you set it up ?

I think this is only for Colorado models.

Nope, all new garmins will work. I activated my 30 day free trial yesterday using my 76CSx. However, I think it will work for any garmin which hasn't activated a trial through the website.

Anyway, Garmin is the defacto way to go for quality. I recommend using Mac for the OS though. Stuff just works. :D Too bad the communicator isn't for Linux. :D

We just bought the TomTom One XL-S.

Once you figure it out, its just as good as most of them. You can actually set it up to view real time coords and its very accurate from what I can see.

Plus the other half of Wapahani (the wife) can use it in her travels for her work.

We like it and being able to upload coords from google maps "send feature" really makes it nice.

I've got our next 20 caches already loaded.