Wherigo Caching

I did the "experience" at GW6 with GeoPirat and GSguru.

I wasn't impressed. In fact, I was bored to tears.

Diane (guru) summed up my feelings best when she said, "I don't wanna be standing in a frickin field reading on a hot day. I'd just rather find a cache." (It in fact wasn't hot that day, but guru and I both live in the pit where MOST days are hot and humid and sticky. I knew exactly what she meant.)

I'm sure individual mileage may vary and one Wherigo experience shouldn't represent ALL of them, but I honestly could care less doing Wherigo right now. I don't see it being a big deal in my neck of the woods....

BTW- I noticed 2 Wherigos by Touchstone listed in Monterey when I was there a few days ago. I would have given it a second chance there if I had a Colorado. I love the Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel area and I could see that area being great for Wherigo.

I suspect it's going to be slow going, both because of the hardware requirement, and because writing a Wherigo cartridge is a tad technical - but the lifers are gonna love it. Precisely because it's not a "quick smiley for the numbers".

By it's very nature, Wherigo caching is multi-stepped, with a major effort required of the cache placer.

Snoogans, you didn't do a Wherigo cache at GW6, you played a Wherigo cartridge, Whack-a-Lackey.

I've played all the "play anywhere" carts, and learned a lot from them. I agree with you though, that they're not very appealing, ultimately - they're really video games on a small screen. If I wanted to play video games (I hate 'em) there's a better platform for that.

BUT, actual Wherigo caches! love it. The ability of the cache owner to offer a new bit of info, puzzle, sidebar at each location. It's way cool.

This replaced virtual caches, correct? I haven't read as to the reasoning behind it but, it doesn't seem to make a big difference. I like mixing in a Virtual every now and then. I'm gonna hit three tomorrow.

No, I'd say a Wherigo cache is more like an interactive multi.

This replaced virtual caches, correct?

No, perhaps you're thinking of the Waymarking site?

Wherigo is much newer, and for a geocache to be listed here as a Wherigo cache there must be a physical container with a log, and finding it must require downloading and running a Wherigo cartridge. The Wherigo cartridge runs on a gps enabled/linked Pocket PC, or a Garmin Colorado. It needs location input via the gps to trigger changing pages.