Paperless with an IPOD...is there an easyu way for the non-technical?

HELP!!

I would like to go paperless and use my IPOD. From my research there are some tools out there that are free or cost minimal amounts.

The problem with everything that I have found is that it almost requires a PhD in computer science to figure it out. I am ok with technology, but not good enough for what I have found.

Is there an easy product out there that will allow me to use my IPOD for paperless caching? Is there any guidance that someone can give me to make my dream of paperless caching a reality?

I use a program called "Cache Magnet". It basically uses the ebook version of the ipod and created everything into a text file and transfers it directly to the iPod. Its quite a nice program. I use it when I go out on a long day of caching as it gives me a backup from my PDA. Sometimes its nicer using the iPod too cause it has a hold button and loading a single text file is much faster than a 500 cache GPX file.

HELP!!

I would like to go paperless and use my IPOD. From my research there are some tools out there that are free or cost minimal amounts.

The problem with everything that I have found is that it almost requires a PhD in computer science to figure it out. I am ok with technology, but not good enough for what I have found.

Is there an easy product out there that will allow me to use my IPOD for paperless caching? Is there any guidance that someone can give me to make my dream of paperless caching a reality?

I use my IPOD and a program called CacheMagnet, its free. Create a folder perhaps called Geocaches say under Documents. On a cache that you want to do hit the GPX button and save the cache in Geocaches. Open Cachemagnet as a blank database and import under Waypoint the file from Geocaches. It will show as a single line entry. Assuming you have the cables from your PC to your IPOD and GPS you can download the cache using Devices. The GPS gets the co-ords and GCname, the IPOD gets the complete text from the cache page, a second line gives you the Hints (decoded) and a third line gives you the last five logs.

Works great, plus you can listen to music while you cache.

these sounds great.

I have tried cachemagnet before and didn't get it to work. i may try that again.

I have not tried GSAK because it costs. if i could hear that it was better than the free stuff, maybe i would put out the money.

any comments or other ideas?

GSAK is absolutely worth every penny.

It's mind-boggling what you can do with it. It works flawlessly, and Clyde (the creator) is always quick to help if you have problems.

Software that works well, and is created by a 'little guy", and supported well, I have no problem paying for.

My $0.02

<><

I tried cachemagnet and GSAK. I prefer GSAK as it doesn't split the logs and the description and the hint into 3 separate files. On the ipod, there is a limit to how many files you can load, and 3 files per cache is a waste.

I'm still working on a way to port the info into my ipod touch. I got both programs to work on my nano.

There is a project that is working on the iphone/ipod touch... but it's not very useful on the touch unless you're constantly near an open wireless access point.

The kicker is that Apple may have recently added a notepad function to the touch, but you can't enter data into it except by typing it in to the device manually.

(There are exceptions to that last statement, but they void the warranty.)

I tried GSAK last night and it was very easy to set up...

the problem that i have is that i loaded a batch of 40 caches for an area where i am doing some consulting work. I am not familiar with the area. GSAK doesn't show you a map of the cache or a map any kind that i can see.

Is this correct? If so, is there another software that provides a map.

If this is wrong, where do i see that map or make it load?

Thank you to all that have helped with this...

I tried GSAK last night and it was very easy to set up...

the problem that i have is that i loaded a batch of 40 caches for an area where i am doing some consulting work. I am not familiar with the area. GSAK doesn't show you a map of the cache or a map any kind that i can see.

Is this correct? If so, is there another software that provides a map.

If this is wrong, where do i see that map or make it load?

Thank you to all that have helped with this...

I had that same confusion when I first installed GSAK - where are the maps? <_< Answer: GSAK doesn't have maps. Instead, you can export files for use in mapping programs such as Garmin MapSource or Microsoft Streets & Trips. GSAK even has shortcut buttons for GPX and S&T exports. Of course, the mapping programs aren't free, but not everything in life is, alas. But if you've bought any Garmin mapping software, you have MapSource, it comes with all of them. If you use a Garmin.

Edited by hydnsek

I wouldn't know where to begin on recommendations for software, but I did a quick search for "mapping software for iPod" and found a few pages. Try Cartographica. Lifehacker had a promising article, but the link was broken. I'm not sure if these would do what you need, but they may be worth a looksee.

i am running an explorist 100 by Magellan. no maps no anything. Just an arrow and a marker for coordinates.

is there any paperless software for an ipod that would have a map with it?

for a mapping program with GPX files I would go back to recommending CacheMagnet. It uses Microsoft's virtual earth which is suppose to be the next best thing to Google earth except this has a twist.

Its' called birds eye view. Here is a pic I pulled off it for use in one of my hides.

sacheart.jpg

Using GSAK, I create a GPX file, and I have cachemagnet as my default GPX viewer. This is also nice cause I don't accidently open it in GSAK and import into the wrong database or something like that. The other nice thing is CacheMagnet is free.

I downloaded and installed the stand alone client for virtual earth but it runs in a web browser window and I much prefer the control I have over which image I want to view with cache magnet vs virtual earth. It also is really nice when I get a new publishing alert I open just the GPX file for that cache and I can get a view like the one above instantly, plus rotate it 90 degrees for 4 different angles to possibly find a trail nearby and avoid bushwacking, and even find a nice parking space. I got an FTF the other day and beat someone else there by minutes cause of this program. I knew where to park and the other guy didn't.

Even if you don't use it for your iPod, I would recommend it for the mapping purposes. Plus this bird's eye view is awsome.