1st GC trek tomorrow!

Hey guys. I was introduced to this hobby (i guess that's what it is) by a guy I met in a parking lot kinda wondering around. I was curious as to what he was looking for because he had a GPS and was looking EVERYWHERE! I went over to see if I could help out and he was like sure and told me briefly about geocaching. Sounded interesting to me because I LOVE hiking and I have a GPS with me if I get lost. Never really used it for anything else except for safety. Now I guess I can put it to a bit more use. I've did nothing but read and watch videos about GC'ing and I think I'm ready to go. I got 5 caches laid out for tomorrow's hunt, all local, and all (supposedly) not that hard. I'm excited and will report back how it goes.

-NG

Welcome to the addiction from a few hours east of you. I'm sure you will have lots of fun out there. There are so many hidden caches now, that it will really be to your advantage to take the time to read the cache listing and a few of the logs to be sure you are looking for ones that sound like FUN to you, and take you on the hikes you like. Some people like short walks, some like tricky puzzles, some like lazy paddles, some like park and grabs in parking lots.

I'd suggest avoiding micros in the beginning as well. Then can be a bit frustrating to new cachers and children who like finding the swag in larger containers.

Hey guys. I was introduced to this hobby (i guess that's what it is) by a guy I met in a parking lot kinda wondering around. I was curious as to what he was looking for because he had a GPS and was looking EVERYWHERE! I went over to see if I could help out and he was like sure and told me briefly about geocaching. Sounded interesting to me because I LOVE hiking and I have a GPS with me if I get lost. Never really used it for anything else except for safety. Now I guess I can put it to a bit more use. I've did nothing but read and watch videos about GC'ing and I think I'm ready to go. I got 5 caches laid out for tomorrow's hunt, all local, and all (supposedly) not that hard. I'm excited and will report back how it goes.

-NG

Thanks for the great tale of how you stumbled upon this great sport! However, I must urge you to reconsider, and to NOT go out hunting your first caches, for here are just a few of the horrible things that can happen to you while you are out hunting geocaches:

• infestation with ticks, with the tick bites resulting in deathly illness from Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, babesiosis, bubonic plague or hantavirus
  • getting poison ivy, resulting in lengthy hospitalization
  • encountering gay sex cruisers who will pursue you relentlessly
  • encountering drug dealers engaging in a nefarious transaction who will chase you and try to kill you for having been an eyewitness to their deal
  • there is the ever-present danger, if your first six or seven finds happen to be lame urban micros, that you will instantly be reduced to a babbling imbecile with no morals and a vapid and vacant sense of ethics
  • stumbling upon a commercial outdoor pot-growing field booby-trapped with a punja pit where you will spend your last hours bleeding to death impaled on sharpened sticks in a spider-infested pit
  • the danger of having your cache find log deleted by a spiteful cache owner because you found the final stage of a multi-cache in a way that they did not anticipate
  • getting mugged while hunting for the cache and waking up minus your GPS receiver
  • getting bitten by a venomous snake while hunting the cache and spending weeks recovering in a hospital
  • stumbling upon a hidden meth lab and being attacked by the zombie-like lab drug-crazed lab operators
  • stumbling upon a dead body and having to spend hours explaining to law enforcement officers who you are, why you were in the area, and how you stumbled upon the body
  • having to explain to co-workers that not all geocachers are serial killers, despite the frequency of that theme in popular fiction

So, I beg you, do NOT go out geocaching -- your very life could be at risk!

:anicute::anicute:

;)

Oops! Uhhh....

Ahem.... Sorry! ...got carried away there... I guess I have been reading -- and believing -- the posts in the forums here too much lately! :D:D:D

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

haha thanks guys. In the past 3 days, I've found almost 20 caches. I've gotten my girlfriend hooked on it. She's the driver and I'm the navigator lol. It's so much fun. My uncle is also hooked now. He even went out and got a new Magellan Triton. I got an explorist 500le and when it gets that WAAS enabled, I usually go straight to the cache and find it VERY soon after.

I've learned that hunting at night makes the difficulty go up a couple of stars. It's super hard to find a camo tube, buried, in briers while trying to hold a flashlight and a gps. But I just can't stop until I've found it. So far no absolute DNL's. I've had to postpone a hunt because it was getting really late but that hunt was resumed the following day and the cache found.

Thanks for all you guys and gals' support.