how to buy

Pinehurst

how do you buy one

Well if your talking geocoins the first thing you might want to do is set up a paypal account. (paypal dot com)

Most of the coins sold on here are personal geocoins and usually require payment through paypal. There are a lot of websites out there as well that sell geocoins, in which payment can be done through credit card or paypal.

These are many websites this complete list is found on geocaching.com homepage, click on trackable items on the left, then when the next page that comes up click on Geocoin home.

Geocoin Manufacturers & Resellers

The list below contains links to various Geocoin manufacturers approved by Groundspeak. If you don't see your company here please let us know.

www.coinsandpins.com

www.personalgeocoins.com

www.oakcoins.com

www.thecachingplace.com

www.geocoinstore.com

www.chqualitycoins.com

www.landsharkz.ca

www.k2coins.nl

www.geocoinshop.de

www.hogwildstuff.org

www.coinable.com

www.coinsforanything.com

www.geocachingshop.de

www.geocachingshop.com

www.coinswag.com

www.cachezone.de

www.urbancacher.com

www.aetoys.com

www.3geeks.ca

www.dorkfishcoins.com

www.atwellfamily.net/geocoins

www.geocoindesign.com

www.castlecoinsandpins.com

www.tsunrisebey.com

www.usageocoins.com

www.TnTGeocoins.com

www.geocoinshop.com

www.dwprods.com

www.ukgeocachers.co.uk

www.geocachingshop.cz

www.worldcaching.com

www.geocoin.se

www.montereycompany.com

www.geocoins.net

how do you buy one

Besides getting them from the manufacturer, you could also find them on Ebay, but may (almost certainly will) pay more for them. If you put in the search term "geocoin", there is usually between 800 and 1000 coins available at any one time. Even if you don't buy from there, it will give you an idea of some of the designs available. Keep in mind that the ones at auction are often no longer available from the manufacturer (sold out) and are generally available only through Ebay or by trade on one of these forums. If you buy through one of the manufacturers, you will often have to pre-order and patiently wait for several weeks to a couple of months by the mail box. However, they are usually cheaper this way.

Regardless of which way you go, I would suggest that you look around a little to see what types of coins you would be interested in. There is a WIDE variety of them to choose from and it's kind of neat to find a series that relates to your tastes/personality. If your are into dirt bike racing, if you want to collect one from each state or country, if you want to promote autism awareness, whatever, there is a coin out there right now, or soon will be, that interests you. I stumbled onto geocoin collecting by accident after putting in a search for Eaby under "Compass Rose" (completely unrelated to geocaching), and found the 2006 Gold Compass Rose. I was instantly hooked on collecting, before I ever heard about caching. They are beautiful coins in my opinion, but they may not be for you. Find what you like and fire up the credit card.

One word of caution, and I can't stress it enough is that geocoin collecting is highly addictive. Let this serve as a warning label of sorts. Be prepared for bad cases of the jitters when the postman comes and your box is still empty, the word "sleep" will cease to exist for you, and your bank accound will some how attain more zeros than you thought possible (no one in front either). But if you decide to proceed, geocoin collecting is a fun, great obsession (I mean hobby). There are some great people on this board that will help you along and maybe you'll get into designing your own after a while.

Good Luck,

Be careful.... your life will be forever altered..... DO NOT pursue this line of inquiry if you care about your financial health, ability to pay rent or leave some dough behind for your loved ones after you pass away. Crack cocaine is easier to break away from!!

Having said that.... activate a subscription to the forums and you will occasionally hear of new coin issues made available for sale at reasonable prices (check Ebay for comparison) or pre-sale. Once most coins are sold out - that's it, no mas. Some of the vendours listed above will have coins minted in larger numbers and those could be available a little longer and sometimes a lot longer.

FYI, there are also Coin of the Months Clubs. For a 6 month subscription (GCC) or just a recurring monthly fee of around $10 (GC&P or BMC) you get a coin mailed to you.

There is a lot of info around. Check the pinned threads at the top of the Geocoin Discussions, look through the Trackable Items links for geocoin vendours and explore their websites. It's fun and it's addictive so beware .... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Edited by Droo