Advertising OK?

I am relatively new to geocaching and was wondering if it would be appropriate to leave a business card in a cache. Our family owns a small local business and I was thinking that placing our business card in nearby local caches might be a neat way to advertise. I haven't noticed any business cards in the caches that I have found so I wasn't sure if this would be considered good etiquette.

Thanks for any advice!

jennyh311

I don't know about business cards, but if your family's business had personalized items that could be cool. Pens with your logo, keychains, etc. You might print up the business cards on waterproof paper (I saw it online somewhere) and adhere it to magnet backing. I found a ceramic coffee token from a coffee shop that was really cool once.

I wouldn't do it. I think I am safe in saying that most cachers have no interest in business cards in caches; having watched this topic come up repeatedly over the years the most common answer seems to be "Please don't".

Getting your company's name in front of eyeballs is a good thing... except when it makes people think "I would never do business with them, they pollute our caches with trash!"

That kind of advertising reaction you don't need.

Because you asked the question, I will offer an honest responce. While out caching I can actually escape from the world and it's belief that I need to be sold something 24 hours a day 7 days a week. If you need to advertise, pony up the money and pay for it rather than taking advantage of a Geocache.

Edited by Krieg's Bones
I would agree with everyone else. Is there something in the rules about advertising?
For cache listings yes, for improper trade items no. (At least not from what I know)

In the guidelines, no. As a community-based rule, yes.

It's kind of like being rude. There no law against it. But, that doesn't mean it's right.

I would agree with everyone else. Is there something in the rules about advertising?
For cache listings yes, for improper trade items no. (At least not from what I know)

In the guidelines, no. As a community-based rule, yes.

It's kind of like being rude. There no law against it. But, that doesn't mean it's right.

ayep.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Ok, this gives me a chance to ask a question regarding an idea I had.

I was planning on doing an EMS themed cache informing others of my volunteer rescue squad in the area. Would this fall under the same standard since it's non-commercial and non-profit?

To be more clear, I was going to leave the standard swag (some EMS themed stuff included) along with brochures for the rescue squad. The brochures aren't necessarily intended as swag, but I thought it would be good to have it available to those who may have a latent interest or didn't know how to go about inquiring about such a venture.

However, if this is in bad taste, I can scrap the idea. Any feedback is appreciated!

*edit* I thought I'd add that Geocachers may be natural for EMS since there is a ton of navigation and map reading involved :)

Edited by ubermutant

I was planning on doing an EMS themed cache informing others of my volunteer rescue squad in the area. Would this fall under the same standard since it's non-commercial and non-profit?

To be more clear, I was going to leave the standard swag (some EMS themed stuff included) along with brochures for the rescue squad. The brochures aren't necessarily intended as swag, but I thought it would be good to have it available to those who may have a latent interest or didn't know how to go about inquiring about such a venture.

However, if this is in bad taste, I can scrap the idea. Any feedback is appreciated!

*edit* I thought I'd add that Geocachers may be natural for EMS since there is a ton of navigation and map reading involved :)

sounds good to me, but in the eyes of others, it may be too commercial. Promoting saving lives :):)

Not commercial, but it probably falls under the agenda guideline.

Up until about a year ago, personalized cards were common to leave in caches. Mine says something like "Lil Devil found this cache" and has my avatar. I used to collect all these cards I could find and put them in a display book. Alas, people don't seem to do this any more so my book has gathered dust.

However, when I found a business card for a real business in a cache, I would remove it and throw it away. Let's keep geocaching about geocaching, and not about advertising. :)

I am relatively new to geocaching and was wondering if it would be appropriate to leave a business card in a cache. Our family owns a small local business and I was thinking that placing our business card in nearby local caches might be a neat way to advertise. I haven't noticed any business cards in the caches that I have found so I wasn't sure if this would be considered good etiquette.

Thanks for any advice!

jennyh311

Leaving a biz card to say you have visited the cache is ok. Doing it specificly to advertise your biz isn't kosher. Making a cacher card with your caching name on it that represents you, to say you were there is much better.

The gist of it is that if the advertising is on something cool or useful it's ok. If it's just on a business card it isn't.

So, if you want to advertise in caches get some pencils or bottle openers or that kind of thing with your company info on 'em.

:):):)