Atheist Geocachers?

I consider myself more of a humanist than an atheist. But lots of people like to throw us into the same category. Which is another thing I don't particularly like - categories and the stereotypes that usually go with them.

In any event, I wish you well on your endeavor to call together those who share your POV. :D

:lol:

I have to admit, I pretty much just started this thread due to 2 other threads going at the time (Christians and one other one I don't recall, mormans or something).

Not sure what I call myself either, but this sounded close.

My kids don't have their own accounts (yet) but I'm starting to think about it so there isn't as much catch up work down the road.

Not an atheist but definitely a lapsed Catholic. I was waiting for somebody to start this thread after finding the Mason thread and encountering Christians who use caching to prosyletize.

Nature is the finest church for me. Being outdoors in all weather and conditions teaches humility (which ought to be the only message of any honest religion.)

Not an atheist but definitely a lapsed Catholic. I was waiting for somebody to start this thread after finding the Mason thread and encountering Christians who use caching to prosyletize.

Nature is the finest church for me. Being outdoors in all weather and conditions teaches humility (which ought to be the only message of any honest religion.)

Amen to that Brother!! :P

I've always wanted to create a geocoin with freethought, science, atheism, rational thinking, etc. as the theme. I would love to have the scarlet "A" from the Out Campaign (see Richard Dawkins's website) as part of the design.

Thanks for starting this thread and count me in as part of the group.

I've always wanted to create a geocoin with freethought, science, atheism, rational thinking, etc. as the theme. I would love to have the scarlet "A" from the Out Campaign (see Richard Dawkins's website) as part of the design.

Thanks for starting this thread and count me in as part of the group.

They've got Christian-based coins. I say go for it! :o

;)

I have to admit, I pretty much just started this thread due to 2 other threads going at the time (Christians and one other one I don't recall, mormans or something).

Not sure what I call myself either, but this sounded close.

My kids don't have their own accounts (yet) but I'm starting to think about it so there isn't as much catch up work down the road.

I must admit I don't get it. Did you start the thread because you felt left out or slighted in some way? Or did you start the thread in an attempt to poke fun at the cachers posting in the other threads you mention? Have you felt any urge to start threads about cachers with kids, cachers without kids, cachers using Garmin units or Magellan units? How about female cachers or male cachers?

Are you really trying to make a connection with other cachers who share a common interest or are you simply trying to stir the pot? Connecting is cool but just trying to stir the pot is juvenile. Hope you connect in some way that is meaningful to you.

Talk about reading way too much into what I wrote, this thread was going just as planned and people seemed to enjoy it - looks to me like you're the only one stirring the pot here.

It's just nice knowing I'm not alone I guess.

Edited by XopherN71

Talk about reading way too much into what I wrote, this thread was going just as planned and people seemed to enjoy it - looks to me like you're the only one stirring the pot here.

It's just nice knowing I'm not alone I guess.

Just trying to understand your reason for the thread and why you felt the need to comment on the other threads. But you don't seem inclined to answer my question. I hope it's working for you.

1. I don't feel the need to explain why I started this thread any more than I need to explain why I start any other thread. But if you must know the answer is because I never see a thread like this one started, so I wanted to see what happened if I did. If others would chime in, or if I would start it and it would die.

2. The reason I commented on the other threads is because they were started in succession and this one followed... it was basically a group of threads that started one after another, related topics.

I hope I've justified my thread to your satisfaction and we can continue on now.

Curious what your beliefs are by the way.

Edited by XopherN71

1. I don't feel the need to explain why I started this thread any more than I need to explain why I start any other thread. But if you must know the answer is because I never see a thread like this one started, so I wanted to see what happened if I did. If others would chime in, or if I would start it and it would die.

2. The reason I commented on the other threads is because they were started in succession and this one followed... it was basically a group of threads that started one after another, related topics.

I hope I've justified my thread to your satisfaction and we can continue on now.

It did seem at first that you might have been trying to stir the pot, but most of the replies were from on-topic cachers.

You can have a thread about almost anything provided the main topic is about caching. (What boots to wear while caching, what gps to use while caching, religious trade items in caches, boy scouts and caching, divine intervention while caching, etc )

Being curious about beliefs in general might get you directed to the off-topic form.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Since when is 'Where ya at!' stirring the pot?

I'd like to see in any of the other two threads where it was questioned why it started.

Unfortunately, THIS is the kind of thing I expected... I'm just glad it lasted as long as it did, sad it couldn't continue without interruption and have the same courtesy given to it.

Can we please get back on topic now?

Where you at!

Edited by XopherN71

Let me start by saying that I am a non-theist. With the shifting definitions of agnostic, atheist, secular humanist, etc, I stick to non-theist for the time being.

Secondly, I'd be in on an order of a atheist geocoin. Or a series celebrating the advances of scientific discovery. I once came across a Galileo series. Thought they were really cool.

Edited by a97virago

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions whether I agree with them or not. I questioned your purpose in starting the thread due to the timing right on top of the other thread started the same day. The Mason Geocachers thread has been poking along quietly since last July so your impression there is a bit off target.

I do appreciate your giving somewhat of a response and am glad that you weren't just trying to stir the pot.

I hope you and like minded cachers can find some common ground and have a nice long lived thread. After all that IS one of the reasons for this section of the forums. Have fun.

Since when is 'Where ya at!' stirring the pot?

I'd like to see in any of the other two threads where it was questioned why it started.

Unfortunately, THIS is the kind of thing I expected... I'm just glad it lasted as long as it did, sad it couldn't continue without interruption and have the same courtesy given to it.

Can we please get back on topic now?

Where you at!

I had a concern, then I thought you were doing fine. You want to jump my case for that?

Whatever, enjoy.

Hey, if that's all you meant no harm... I took it that you thought I was stirring the pot and the rest of the replies were on topic.

It did seem at first that you might have been trying to stir the pot, but most of the replies were from on-topic cachers.

Should have known better coming from you, I tend to agree with a lot of the things you write.

:D

Besides, that's too big of a pot to stir and I don't have the time to watch it cook :D

Edited by XopherN71

Thanks, will do!

To clarify - I saw those two threads come up at about the same time, just before I created this one. I looked and didn't see one like it and figured what the heck, we need a thread too. Whether or not they were all actually started at the same time I had no idea, but at the time this thread came about they were on the front page, one right after the other.

:D

I saw all 3 of these threads and wondered what was going on????

I will step forward and say JESUS is my Lord!

I usually do not get involved in these type discussions but when it comes to who has the final say he is much greater than I so this is all I will post.

THEOTHRBROTHR

Cool, me too ;) Not sure what any of this has to do with geocaching though :huh: I personally don't believe in atheism :o

(careful, the op might berate you for mentioning the J word)

I hope you're posting this same stuff in the christian and mason threads.

This forum is called organized caching, we're free to discuss this here last I checked. If not, the other threads need to go too. Now if everyone who doesn't agree with the general beliefs of this thread would just stop intervening and let us have our little corner of the world we'd be just fine.

;)

Edited by XopherN71

I hope you're posting this same stuff in the christian and mason threads.

This forum is called organized caching, we're free to discuss this here last I checked. If not, the other threads need to go too.

This forum is called organized caching,
Emphasis on caching. You responded so I responded.

One subject might more sensitive than another but it's all the same. Stay on topic and don't feed the trolls. Report them if necessary.

::: shrugs shoulders :::

I've seen too many "Christian geocachers" threads get derailed and sometimes locked over the years. It's something I'd like to discuss, as I have some cool stories to share. But, I don't bother participating in those threads, preferring instead to avoid controversy over things unrelated to geocaching.

A Garmin user can barge into a Magellan bug thread and brag about how their Garmin doesn't ever have that problem. Rude, but not a forum guidelines violation so long as there's no personal attacks, potty language, etc.

A non-Christian can barge into a Christian geocaching thread and laugh at the beliefs held by those other geocachers. Rude, and possibly a forum guidelines violation, depending on the details.

So, a Christian geocacher ought to be able to barge into an atheist geocacher thread and rudely point fingers at the atheists so long as there are no forum guideline violations. The point being, most won't. That's part of being a Christian.

Enjoy your thread. :D

Don't disappointment me now, okay?

Serious? This thread was started to counter the Christian threads. Nothing more, nothing less. Personally, I don't think threads discussing Christianity or atheism should be allowed in the main forum. Just my opinion.