A treasure box!

I posted this on another thread but thought best to open a new thread rather than hijack the other.

I've thought about hiding a cache in the area that will have about $200 of high quality Geocaching related starter swag. Plus the FTF prize will be something real special, like a single prize or a prize bag worth $50 to $75. There will be STF and TFT prizes as well.

If I do I will probably make it a PMO cache until most or all the starter swag is gone.

What do you folks think about doing that? You think I should make it PMO only first of not?

By the way I will post it here when it's ready to go. If any of you want to go for it you can.

If I did that, I would definitely make it PMO to start.

But I wouldn't do that, unless it was a seriously hard to figure out multi-stage puzzle.

[cynic]If you make is a generic 2/2 or less, with easy access, and open to the public, then your $200 starter swag will be reduced to $2 worth of McToys and plastic jewelry within a month.[/cynic]

If I did that, I would definitely make it PMO to start.

But I wouldn't do that, unless it was a seriously hard to figure out multi-stage puzzle.

[cynic]If you make is a generic 2/2 or less, with easy access, and open to the public, then your $200 starter swag will be reduced to $2 worth of McToys and plastic jewelry within a month.[/cynic]

Really? :) Will it take that long? :D;):D

I was think of doing a multi that takes you on several hikes all around the Red River Valley. The final would be in a pad locked box. The only way to get the combo and the final coords is to do the whole multi.

I posted this on another thread but thought best to open a new thread rather than hijack the other.

I've thought about hiding a cache in the area that will have about $200 of high quality Geocaching related starter swag. Plus the FTF prize will be something real special, like a single prize or a prize bag worth $50 to $75. There will be STF and TFT prizes as well.

If I do I will probably make it a PMO cache until most or all the starter swag is gone.

What do you folks think about doing that? You think I should make it PMO only first of not?

By the way I will post it here when it's ready to go. If any of you want to go for it you can.

WOW!! You must be rich... Can I have a 'Loan'? ;)

WOW!! You must be rich... Can I have a 'Loan'? :D

No, I just have good credit. :D;):)

What sort of difficulty and terrain are you shooting for? Length of hike? Those factors are more relevant to protecting a treasure chest from being plundered than PMO status.

At least a 4/4 multi with a 15 to 20 mile total hiking distance.

Excellent. The PMOC designation wouldn't provide any stronger bozo filter than the hike. I'd leave it open to all members. Hiking a total of 20 miles is a far greater indication of commitment to Geocaching than shelling out three bucks a month.

Seems like most agree that a high rank of difficulty and terrain would do more than the PMO ranking, and for not many visitors, I think the promise of more than a McToy as the swag will bring out the better cachers. There are alot of cachers that only seek the more challenging, so "Hide it and they will come.".

As for me I'm still a newbie and not in shape for a twenty mile hike yet, but thats why I'm caching, to get healthy and lose a little weight.

The harder the cache is to find, the longer your swag will remain high quality. Caches that require such great effort often gain even more great swag, in the long run. This held true for my cache.

8137076b-f8e2-4d84-a6b9-7f566de47e70.jpg

Ohh, I shouldn't do it, but I just can't help myself!

Who left the GPSMap 60?

:lol:

Skisidedown

After all the grief I've gotten, I feel the need to point out that there's a pocket knife in that swag and I didn't put it there. (Does look like one of the ones I was putting out before I ran out, though)

I don't know, perhaps we should dust that pocket knife for prints? :lol:;)

Do the caching police have a crime lab?

Edited by gof1

What sort of difficulty and terrain are you shooting for? Length of hike? Those factors are more relevant to protecting a treasure chest from being plundered than PMO status.

At least a 4/4 multi with a 15 to 20 mile total hiking distance.

Excellent. The PMOC designation wouldn't provide any stronger bozo filter than the hike. I'd leave it open to all members. Hiking a total of 20 miles is a far greater indication of commitment to Geocaching than shelling out three bucks a month.

This is the sort of cache that I want to be able to find

I don't get out into the country too often, so I haven't been able to get something like that - Maybe I should hit Gatineau Park...

Also, I agree about not making it PMO, not to mention the fact that the Prime Minister's Office doesn't usually hide caches (:lol:) - The hike is deterrent that you were thinking PMOC status would bring

I don't think I've seen one PMOC around here, and I think that they're somewhat elitist, as it implies (this is just to me) that PM are in some way 'better.' I doubt that there are many rogue cachers who go and take every cache they find, thereby getting they're find and ruining it for everyone after them. Besides that, if anyone was that hellbent on being such a (insert favourite swear here), then they would probably just pay the $3 to go and get it

Now, I've heard the 'It's a reward for supporting the site' argument, but to me this takes away from the pure spirit of the game

Before I start something, I should mention that I'm planning to upgrade my membership for the Fall (the start of my next semester)

The harder the cache is to find, the longer your swag will remain high quality. Caches that require such great effort often gain even more great swag, in the long run. This held true for my cache.

8137076b-f8e2-4d84-a6b9-7f566de47e70.jpg

Do I see a Morgan Dollar and some Mercury Dimes in there? :lol:

Wow - My two hobbies combined ;)

Either a long hike or put out a tb with either a key for a locked box or two tbs with half the coordinates each for the final cache.

Both of these ideas have been done local to me.

The key one was done for three caches two of which are still active.

Do a search under Moneydork as a keyword and you should be able to find them. Haven't done any of them yet as the key is always in a cache a with a high difficulty/terrain rating.