Garmin/Magellean

Kotterlee

We don't have a GPS right now, we looked at a couple this weekend and my fiance directed me to find out more information from people here. We're planning on spending about $150-$200 on a GPS. We're looking for something that's user friendly, yet has all the needed features. I followed the links on "choosing a GPS" but wasn't satisfied... they just had specs. no reviews by users. I'd like to hear from people here, your experiences with different models and what you like/dislike

Edited by Kotterlee

I'm a Garmin user also.

Needed features? Well, all you really need is a compass screen. The yellow Etrex H for $92 can do that. But it don't have serial cable connection and is bare bones in features.

I suggest either the Etrex Summit HC or the Etrex Legend HCx. Both have color screen and sensitive chipset, and both support customized POIs.

Summit goes for $188. It has electronic compass; altimeter and 24mb internally. It will not auto-route but supports TOPO or MetroGuide street maps.

Legend goes for $202. It does not have electronic compass or altimeter. It does have external card slot for 2gb memory card to store maps. It supports auto-routing with optional City Navigator NT street maps. For another $22, you can get the Vista HCx which adds electronic compass and altimeter.

For $200 I'd probably get the Garmin Legend HCX. Color display, expandable map memory, storage for thousands of waypoints, great reception and auto routing (with the City Navigator software).

Magellan also makes some good units (but not the Triton line). You can get the eXplorist units very cheap now. But Magellan's customer service is abysmal, while Garmin consistently gets praise for theirs.

You can save some money getting a Magellan and keep your fingers crossed that you never have a problem with it, or need to get a question answered.

Edited by briansnat

Magellan also makes some good units (but not the Triton line). You can get the eXplorist units very cheap now. But Magellan's customer service is abysmal, while Garmin consistently gets praise for theirs.

You can save some money getting a Magellan and keep your fingers crossed that you never have a problem with it, or need to get a question answered.

I use my 8 year old Garmin GPS12Map. I was given a Magellan for my birthday two years ago. It broke one month after the warranty expired. I sent it to Magellan to be fixed. They lost it. Customer service is a joke. They treated me like I was an idiot. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. After they finally admitted it was lost, they offered to upgrade me at a discounted price. They finally sent a replacement for free after I wrote the corporate office. (I would have rather had the money so I could have bought a Garmin.)

My experience had been that the coordinates are more accurate with my older Garmin than with the newer Magellan. I've had one experience with Garmin's customer service. They treated me in a very courteous and professional manner even though it was a user related issue and not the unit.

I know fellow cachers who swear by their Magellans but most cachers I know use Garmins. However, I won't own another Magellan if I have anything to say about it. I'd rather pay a little more initially and have a good quality unit.

I just got into this myself, and I am more then happy with my Garmin Legend HCx. Easy to use, and I cannot find a bad customer report/review on it…well that is other then not having the electric compass. I have added a TOPO to it and it is everything you could want.

I have played with a Magellean and I have to admit it was nice, however it did not compare to my Garmin, plus there is the ease of uploading a Cache from the Geocache.com website that “currently” only supports Garmin.

But my only real use has been with Garmin, so I'm totally being BIAS. ;)

Definitely Garmin.

If I were in your place, I'd probably buy the Garmin Legend HCx; if you could swing a bit more, perhaps the eTrex Vista HCx --if money were no object, I'd recommend the 60CSx. I personally think it's the best unit out there right now.

Compare these units here

With any of those units, you will be able to use it as soon as you put in the batteries and let it acquire a signal.

Expect to want to add maps later to any of them though--about another $100 each type of map.

City maps will let you autoroute to the cache (which is wonderful) and give you lots of waypoints as well (gas stations, parks, diners, etc).

Topo maps are nice if you spend most of your time wayyyyy out in the boonies.

I use both on my 60CSx, and have to admit that I rarely use the topo maps (but when I do need them, I really need them!).

I say go with the Garmin eTrex Venture HC. I purchased a Magellan Triton200 a month ago. Last weekend I was out caching & it locked up on me. I could change screens as long as it wasn't connected to satellite, but the second it did connect the system locked up. I took it back yesterday and exchanged it for the Garmin eTrex Venture HC. It was about $70 more, but so far I really like it. I plugged it in to the computer and loaded all the data I had lost on my Magellan in about 15 minutes (that was figuring out the software as well). I never could get my Magellan to play nice with my computer. I really liked the Magellan's features, but now that I have comparison the Garmin is much better - quicker to adjust to changing screens, quicker start up, quicker to connect to satellites. I just hope it lasts longer than a month!

Thanks everyone for all of your responses, I think that I'm going to get the E Trex Venture HC

Good unit. Just bear in mind that it doesn't have autorouting capability or expandable map memory. I've known a few people who have purchased this unit expecting to load City Navigator and get turn by turn driving directions. For that you need to go up a notch in the product line to the Legend HCX.

Thanks everyone for all of your responses, I think that I'm going to get the E Trex Venture HC

Good unit. Just bear in mind that it doesn't have autorouting capability or expandable map memory. I've known a few people who have purchased this unit expecting to load City Navigator and get turn by turn driving directions. For that you need to go up a notch in the product line to the Legend HCX.

That's fine by me... I had a auto GPS briefly and HATED it! I sold it on ebay, it would always make me do weird routes, or put me on the right road in the WRONG city! I'm sticking to old school directions for now so I'm not too concerned about that feature. Thanks for the heads up though!

That's fine by me... I had a auto GPS briefly and HATED it! I sold it on ebay, it would always make me do weird routes, or put me on the right road in the WRONG city! I'm sticking to old school directions for now so I'm not too concerned about that feature. Thanks for the heads up though!

I found this same one yesterday with a case and topo maps for $169.00! I WAS SOOOOOO HAPPY! Wasn't available in local store, so I raced to get the last one in a store 20 miles away!!! There was also a $30. rebate!!! I'm in shopping heaven!!

We don't have a GPS right now, we looked at a couple this weekend and my fiance directed me to find out more information from people here. We're planning on spending about $150-$200 on a GPS. We're looking for something that's user friendly, yet has all the needed features. I followed the links on "choosing a GPS" but wasn't satisfied... they just had specs. no reviews by users. I'd like to hear from people here, your experiences with different models and what you like/dislike

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR ,DON'T BUY ANY MAGELLAN TRITONS.Sorry about screaming.I bought a Triton 400 and it was nothing but a battery sucking brick.I sent it back and bought a Garmin GPSMap 76CSx.I'm happy and buy.com can put the Triton where the sun don't shine,lol.