Quick question. Finding a cache that is not listed here.

Long story short. My girlfriend and I were out taking pictures of some scenery in the woods just off of a road. I was looking around taking in the scenery when something caught my eye in the hull of a tree. An ammo box with the official geocache sticker on the side.

Least to say, it's been a few years since my last hunt. I was like.. holy cow a geocache, had to explain the whole process to her which then she wanted to go find more. (another story)

Anyways. I checked the site out and I can't find it listed anywhere. It was probably sitting there for quite a while with spider webs and your typical forest leaves and decomposing stuff on it.

What would you do about this find?

minitawnispics040zs9.jpg

minitawnispics041pw1.jpg

minitawnispics042xl8.jpg

Edited by -RotorDemon-

Was the GC# there? If it was you can find it that way (I found a cache yesterday that had been in my book for some time - I hadn't even realised that it had been archived for three months - I found the listing with the GCA846) - This will also guarantee that you have the right one if it's a mystery or Multi

If you can't find it that way, I'm sure the hider would have signed the front page of the log, and if you search for caches hidden by and enter in the hider's name, you should be able to find it

- The problem with this way though, is that if it's a Mystery or Multi, and you have the final, the co-ords obviously won't be right, so you may need to contact the owner (this is if you still can't find the cache name on the list)

Probably an archived cache. If the cache owner's name is listed in the log book, your might be able to find it that way.

I'm with HD on this one. The sticker on the cache looks like a geocaching.com sticker. The first thing to check would be to see if this one was archived on this site. You should be able to use the coords (may have to get some) to find what's close, then use the map section to see what's archived.

Looking for archived caches may have changed recently from how it used to be done. I havent' had to do that for about a year.

Did you find any TBs or GCs in there? If so, I bet the owners would be very happy to hear from you. Please let us know what happens next. :(

No there wasn't anything like that in there (thankfully)

I just left what was in there (the really cheap swag and the two log books) there

It's a nice cache - pretty scary to get there if you're at all afraid of height

I'd like to leave the cache there and maybe spread it through word of mouth - It really is nicely done - Probably my favourite cache I've found, just because of the ' :ph34r: ' location

Edited by Taoiseach

Well I have found a group in Portland who have cache listings that aren't part of this site. It would appear they put together caches that would be denied - commercial, inside (I read one that was underground), or in un-family friendly places - stuff like that.

So you shouldn't jump to conclusions that another poster doesn't know anything. That was pretty rude frankly. :ph34r:

i didn't mean to be rude, i was stating a point

didn't know about that "group" in Portland, since i live in Pittsburgh..........

Right! And that also means that you don't know about groups in California where DaFunkyFrogs if from either. No need to say someone doesn't know anything when you don't know what they know or don't know.

Ya know? :ph34r:

i dont think Da Frogs know anything. there is no other caching website. if there was, dont you think the veteran cachers, like The Leprehchauns, Harry Dolphin, even Jeremy, would have heard about it?

If you look around these forums you will see other cache listing sites mentioned. I have looked at some of them myself. They are not true competition in the sense that they have very few listings and not that many members compared to Groundspeak. But they DO exist. I may not remember what I had for breakfast, but I do know there are other sites. ;)

i dont think Da Frogs know anything. there is no other caching website. if there was, dont you think the veteran cachers, like The Leprehchauns, Harry Dolphin, even Jeremy, would have heard about it?

Navicaching

Terracaching

Opencaching.de

Geocaching.hu

Geocaching.ru

gpsgames

To name a few.

There are others.,

There have been more in the past.

There will be more in the future.

In this case the cache in the photo has a sticker that is from geocaching.com. That means it's probably listed here, and was archived.

I appreciate the info. I will go back there tomorrow and go through the logbook and see what I can find out. Didn't pay much attention reading the log, just took something, left something, signed the log and put it back.

Sparked the geocaching side of me back up and heading out tomorrow to find some more. :P

I'd like to leave the cache there and maybe spread it through word of mouth - It really is nicely done - Probably my favourite cache I've found, just because of the ' :) ' location

I think you have the right idea, the cache should stay there. AFAIK, the cache was archived because the city had a project of reactivating the abandoned railroad line very near the cache. The project has been abandoned after a few months, but the city left the no trespassing signs up, so the cache will remain archived. But leaving the container there really doesn't hurt anyone (not a natural setting or a place where anyone will stumble on it), and more cachers might get a chance to experience this very memorable hide. I know I certainly never would have gone there if not for the cache. Took me 3 visits to dare it...

Now, it would be nice if the original poster updated us on what cache he found, geocachers are curious people :)

Any update? :lol:

Yes. I still don't have a GPS so I cannot give a precise location, if it is part of a multi then (if this sounds right) I would like to keep it hidden.

I couldn't find any information on it, here, on or in the cache. ;)

minidsc02852wj2.jpg

minidsc02853ft5.jpg

Edited by -RotorDemon-

I'd like to leave the cache there and maybe spread it through word of mouth - It really is nicely done - Probably my favourite cache I've found, just because of the ' :lol: ' location

I think you have the right idea, the cache should stay there. AFAIK, the cache was archived because the city had a project of reactivating the abandoned railroad line very near the cache. The project has been abandoned after a few months, but the city left the no trespassing signs up, so the cache will remain archived. But leaving the container there really doesn't hurt anyone (not a natural setting or a place where anyone will stumble on it), and more cachers might get a chance to experience this very memorable hide. I know I certainly never would have gone there if not for the cache. Took me 3 visits to dare it...

Now, it would be nice if the original poster updated us on what cache he found, geocachers are curious people ;)

Yea - It was something about extending the O-Train into either Hull and/or Aylmer wasn't it?

Hopefully something will happen & Zartimus will be allowed to unarchive it

Any update? B)

Yes. I still don't have a GPS so I cannot give a precise location, if it is part of a multi then (if this sounds right) I would like to keep it hidden.

I couldn't find any information on it, here, on or in the cache. :laughing:

minidsc02852wj2.jpg

minidsc02853ft5.jpg

Took a while. The first two finders find dozens of caches a week!! This, however, has got to be the cache in question, FTF by OregonMo 40 on 10/8/07, 2TF Dasindog on 10/13/07:

Why do I need braces? (GC16FJC)

Still active multi-cache! Last found 8 April 2008. B)

I found one while looking for a cache container on a bridge. There was two containers on the same side of the bridge just on different corners. One ended up being a letterbox.

Been there, done that. I don't know, I'm guessing almost 10 times now. ;) I guess we both (us and letterboxers) really do pick the best spots for our containers.