Showing coins at events

ThePetersTrio

So this might be considered a dumb question, so please bear in mind that I'm still rather new to this. 015-[Embarrassed]-[EmoticonKing.com].gif

I am hoping to attend my first event in early May and I was thinking about taking a special coin or two in case people wanted to discover them for the icon. So how does one go about doing this? I mean, I'd feel kinda weird just going up to people, introducing myself and holding out a coin. I considered making having my daughter do this but that just didn't seem right.

Should I print out little slips of paper with the tracking number on it so people can log it more easily?

How is this typically done?

Or should I just leave the coin(s) at home?

Help? :laughing:

:laughing:

Edited by ThePetersTrio

At most of the events I've been to, there are always travel bugs and geocoins making the rounds. Either for trading or just for discovery. If you just have a few, I'd go with the paper slip with the tracking # on it. I've seen people make spreadsheets with all their coins listed, their tracking numbers, and the icon. It's nice and handy to pass out. Either way, there will likely be people there ready with their notepads to discover coins. Go and have fun!!

most events have a table or an area where TB's and coins can be traded or discovered. I take my collection to all events I attend and I used to give out printed copies of the tracking #'s to anyone that wanted to discover them, but now I have a TB dogtag attached to the front of my coinbook and have folks discover it and I email them the tracking #'s once they discover the dogtag. It's the easiest way I've found to keep an updated list for everyone that is interested in them. Each event is different though and you may want to ask the person(s) hosting the event how they would like you to do it.

Bring 'em and you could even use them as ice breakers to start conversations and meet new people.

Just don't leave them there. That's the worst!! People will drop off a coin or bug at an event and just leave it in the jar hoping someone will pick it up, eventually.

If you do pass it on to someone make note of who it is and put that in your drop log for the coin. If it gets lost at the event the owner has a record of who was last seen with it.

I like to rome around asked people if I can Discover their coins! J/K. If I see people writing down #s', I go over and introduce myself, write down a few, and ask if the would like to discover any of mine. Seems to work good. I do not mind the "copied sheet" method but, if I am going to discover any of them I like to make sure I really do see them and not assume that I've seen them just because they have a ammo can full of geocoins and a couple of TBs'.

Generally when I log my "will attend" log, I mention that I will be bringing my coin collection for anyone interested in discovering the coins. Since I always wear something Penn State, I mention that I will be the one wearing the PSU .... (hat, shirt, slippers, sweatpants...whatever). It is an icebreaker for even before I attend the event and it gets those initially interested to come over to me so that I do not feel like I am burdening anyone who is not interested.

Good luck at your first event. They are fun!!!!

I was very nervous bringing some of my special coins to a local meeting for discovery. Just make sure that they don't get mixed in with the coins and bugs for distribution. I usually put mine in a ziploc and label "for discovery", and I've had no problems. You'd probably fare even better putting them in an album, b/c then there's no mistaking that they aren't for distribution. I stopped dropping them into the event cache, b/c it's kind of a pain to do that for many coins. If the event has very few coins or bugs, sometimes I'll drop a few with cool icons just to keep it interesting and encourage others to share.

Thanks for the advice all. At this point, I'm just not feeling comfortable bringing my entire collection. The 2 events that I'm hoping to attend are probably not going to have tables set up. One is a flash event at a local mall and the other is a journey out to the original stash plaque. So there probably won't be a lot of time to discover coins. But then again, as I've never been to an event, I'm not exactly sure.

I thought I'd just have one or two of my library coins to show off and share the icon if anyone is interested. I'm planning to keep them safely tucked in my pocket and will not drop either of them anywhere. I'll probably just wait to see if anyone else is sharing coins and if so, then I'll approach and share.

It's very helpful for me to read how all of you handle this though as I may attend more events over the summer that would be a better opportunity to bring more of my collection to share.

Keep the tips coming! :sad:

Since the events you're going to sound like they are not going to be real sit down and hang out events, in that case I'd just bring five or so in case people are sharing coins. I usually have 3 or 4 with me that I'm ready to release and that's what I have available for discovery at that kind of event.

One of my coins went to an event where they had separate milk crates, one for travelers that were to picked up and moved, and the other for people's coins and bugs that were for discovery only.

Many people are taking to wearing their personal coins as a custom wire-wrapped pendant. Here are some examples:

(images omitted for brevity's sake)

:D

Wow, now those are pretty darn cool! Since there's a FAQ or an expert for pretty much everything else pertaining to caching, does anyone know how to go about making one of those? :P

most events have a table or an area where TB's and coins can be traded or discovered. I take my collection to all events I attend and I used to give out printed copies of the tracking #'s to anyone that wanted to discover them, but now I have a TB dogtag attached to the front of my coinbook and have folks discover it and I email them the tracking #'s once they discover the dogtag. It's the easiest way I've found to keep an updated list for everyone that is interested in them. Each event is different though and you may want to ask the person(s) hosting the event how they would like you to do it.

This is a very cool concept. One I have never happened to see. Thanks for sharing.

I have 4 binders full of coins that people can discover. I have a travel bug attached to one of the binders and if people will discover that travel bug I will arrange to get them a list of the coins. I always try to tell people in advance to do that because otherwise they may sit down and try to actually write down all 700+ of my coins that I have in my collection! :P

Many people are taking to wearing their personal coins as a custom wire-wrapped pendant. Here are some examples:

(images omitted for brevity's sake)

:D

Wow, now those are pretty darn cool! Since there's a FAQ or an expert for pretty much everything else pertaining to caching, does anyone know how to go about making one of those? B)

:D I cannot tell a lie. That would be me. Check out my gallery link.

:P