Newbie questions...

Twitchyy

I'm very new to Geocaching. In fact, I just stumbled upon my first Geocache by accident yesterday while hiking near my house. I am very interested in the sport and I have been vigorously reading about every aspect of it from the website.

I do not own a GPS, but I plan on purchasing one soon. I have been reading up on various models. I was thinking about getting the Colorado 400t. Can anyone give me a review on how they like theirs? Pros, Cons?

I have a couple of specific questions about it. Does it have 12 parallel channels? Does it come with an external antenna jack? I am trying to make a checklist with all of the suggested features from GeoCache.com.

I am a Mac user, is this device fully compatible with Macs? Is there certain software I'll need? If so, which program do you guys suggest?

Are there any other GPS units that you would recommend?

Lastly, do you guys have any tips or pointers you could share with me?

:P

Are there any other GPS units that you would recommend?

You will find a lot of cachers use the Garmin GPSmap 60Cx or one in the "60??" family. The Colorado is relatively new and is a top of the line sort of unit when it comes to features. Garmin also has the eTrex series that are basic units that are a good starting point for geocachers. If you upgrade in the future you always have a backup unit, or one to lone out. It just depends on how much you want to invest in a new hobby? I bought a gps not knowing what geocaching was. After playing a while I have upgraded to a 60Cx.

As for MAC caching goes... you are just in time. Two years ago you would have been on your own, but some of the software companies have started to work with MAC systems in mind. Check out MacCaching for a great piece of software. Others are also catching up. In fact you can find Garmin's map installer at : http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3825

If you are looking for more information you can check out some podcast about the sport of Geocaching. I recommend the Podcacher Podcast. They can be found at www.podcacher.com.

Hope this helps & welcome to caching

Derrick Perrin

lestgoicon.jpgLets Go Geocaching - A Video Podcast About Geocaching

Edited by deeperrin

... Garmin also has the eTrex series that are basic units that are a good starting point for geocachers...

:P

Basic? Isn't the GPS60 a basic 60? Like the Etrex H is to the HCx?

The 60 series differ primarily in size - the 60s having a bit larger screen. The 60's have external antenna connection, and supports both serial and usb connections. That's about it. The Etrex' have longer battery life, brighter screens, and are lighter and more compact.

However, before making a recommendation, we need to know your budget and intended usage. That is, only geocaching? Will you be buying optional street maps?

Here is a good geocaching site for MAC users.

However, before making a recommendation, we need to know your budget and intended usage. That is, only geocaching? Will you be buying optional street maps?

I don't want to spend more than $600. I know that may seem like a lot, but a family member of mine also plans to use the GPS and they are pitching in. It will only be used for geocaching. What do you mean by optional street maps?

You will find a lot of cachers use the Garmin GPSmap 60Cx or one in the "60??" family. The Colorado is relatively new and is a top of the line sort of unit when it comes to features. Garmin also has the eTrex series that are basic units that are a good starting point for geocachers. If you upgrade in the future you always have a backup unit, or one to lone out. It just depends on how much you want to invest in a new hobby? I bought a gps not knowing what geocaching was. After playing a while I have upgraded to a 60Cx.

As for MAC caching goes... you are just in time. Two years ago you would have been on your own, but some of the software companies have started to work with MAC systems in mind. Check out MacCaching for a great piece of software. Others are also catching up. In fact you can find Garmin's map installer at : http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3825

Thanks for the pointers. :D MacCashing looks like a great program, I'm going to go ahead at purchase it as soon as I get my GPS. What do you mean by Map Installer? Do we have to upload maps onto the GPS?

Low end - for about $90 you can't go wrong wit the eTrex yellow "H" model. Simple unit will get you to any cache.

Mid-level - for about $130 you can get a Garmin Venture HC or for $200 the Garmin Legend HCx. Both have color screens, long battery life, a Geocaching mode, high sensitivity, very rugged, nice small form factor. The Legend adds routable mapping and expandable memory.

High End - For about $300+ you can get the Garmin 60CSx - long considered the "cream of the crop" for Geocaching GPSr. Many of the above features plus altimeter and compass. All buttons on the front make it a nice choice for in-car use as well. Also the newer Colorado line at a pricey $420+ adds paperless Caching use and a larger high-res screen and the ability to do Wherigo cartidges.

I don't want to spend more than $600. I know that may seem like a lot, but a family member of mine also plans to use the GPS and they are pitching in. It will only be used for geocaching. What do you mean by optional street maps?

You can get a new Garmin Colorado 400t at REI for that amount of money. :laughing:

Or, you could get a Legend HCx or Vista HCx or 60Cx/CSx and the City Navigator and Topo maps and have money left over. Any of those GPS units will auto-route you through unfamiliar areas, and you can also use those maps on your computer for pre-planning.

Total investment for a GPS unit and both types of maps could be less than $400.00. :D

I have the Vista HCx and prefer it to the 60CSx.

The Colorado 400t still has some bugs that need to be worked out. As a new geocacher/GPS user you probably won't even notice a lot of the bugs that others are complaining about. If you have the bucks, go for it.

Though you could something like a 60CSX or Vista HCX, which are both excellent units, plus mapping software for what you might pay for the Colorado.

What do you mean by optional street maps?

The Colorado 400t comes with detailed topo maps installed. Most other handheld units only come with a base map, that only shows major roads. Virtually useless. You need to add detailed maps for the maps to be useful.

There are essentially 2 choices for geocachers. Mapsource Topo and Mapsource City Navigator. Mapsource Topo will show you basically what the Colorado 400t will show, terrain features. It also shows roads, but most roads aren't named and road data is out of date in some areas.

City Navigator has detailed and fairly up to date road maps and will turn your unit into something you can use in your car to give you turn by turn directions. It also has a database of millions of businesses and services. If you need to find the nearest restaurant, post office, police station, hotel, campground, marina, shopping mall, etc. it will tell you where it is and how to get there.

The 400t comes with Mapsource Topo installed and you can add City Navigator later. Most other units you have to buy both. Topo is around $80 and City Navigator runs around $120, so figure that into the price if you buy something other than the 400t.

Just my two cents here - I use an Etrex H and my Ipod. Thats it - nothing more. This sport can be as simple, cheap, and as easy as you make it - or expensive, electronic heavy and as complicated as you can make it.

The main thing is get what you think works for you - but remember you can always upgrade easier than you can downgrade.

ok, back to my peanut butter and banana sandwiches

Just my two cents here - I use an Etrex H and my Ipod. Thats it - nothing more. This sport can be as simple, cheap, and as easy as you make it - or expensive, electronic heavy and as complicated as you can make it.

The main thing is get what you think works for you - but remember you can always upgrade easier than you can downgrade.

ok, back to my peanut butter and banana sandwiches

I would love to paperless using my ipod. I had not heard of it until today. How do you do it?

I'm on a Mac too and just started geocaching about 8 months ago. I started out with my lowly Forerunner, but after some research, settled on the purchase of a Garmin Legend HCX. I really like it. I also purchased the City Navigator, but on the pre-programmed micro SD card. (The CD version won't work on your Mac, at least it wasn't compatible back in December when I bought the SD card) I really like my GPS and when we are traveling it works just like an in-car until with turn-by-turn directions and everything.

I also am using MacCaching, great program, easy to use and works seamlessly with my mac and GPS.

I am paperless with a palm pilot and Cachemate.

My most recent purchase has been the Topo SD card and the National Geographic TOPO program. Don't know why I waited so long to get NG TOPO, wonderful program. You can load you PQ gpx files right onto it, and print out maps and routes. Now that summer is coming and I'll be hiking a lot, I can't wait to start taking some maps and finding caches on my hikes.

These are just my preferences, but I like everything that I use so far.

Have fun!!

Start basic -- I would recommend the old etrex models (yellow, blue Legend, silver Vista) but in a USB world, the old serial-port connections are obsolete. Currently can't download waypoints to my etrex Legend, which has served me well for over two years and 1200 finds.

The Legend Hcx seems like a good starter unit -- color screen, upgraded antenna -- and not too expensive. The Garmin Rino's have a two-way radio if you feel like you need to chit-chat. The Colorado is gorgeous, but way out of my price-range. I would rather save the money for gas and batteries.