Step up to *better* GPSr from MAP60C?

I have a Garmin MAP60C that I've run into the ground (literally) and Garmin replaced once already. I pretty much like the unit with the exception of the mushy center navigation button (press UP+UP+UP and often it goes UP+LEFT+UP or something.... no tactile feel at all, like the eTrax nav button better). Also heard that some Magellin units are more able to deal with geocaching with more notes (like hints) able to be uploaded to it.

I also have City Navigator and we use that for driving directions which is nice to have. But with the limited memory of the MAP60C we can't load in but one or two maps so for long trips it's useless. And we kayak a lot, mostly rivers and some bay paddles and have a suction mount for on the water. And I have a bike mount on my mountain bike and my road bike so my MAP60C has a lot of use outside geocaching.

I just finished some side work and have a littler 'fluff' money to spend and was thinking about upgrading. Looking at the MAP60CSX and the Colorado 300 (even though I don't care about unit-to-unit transfers or the picture viewer), but don't feel obligated to stick with Garmin if something else fits our needs better.

Any and all suggestions and comments welcomed!

Good link Red. Looks like a toss up for now, but I am betting Garmin can do more with the Colorado series with firmware upgrades than they can with the 60 series.

I have the 60csx and love it. If it died today I may consider the Colorada, but it would be a tough choice.

...but it would be a tough choice.

Not if you've used them both. I've been out with people that have 60csx and if it were not for the cost, they would all take the Colorado. For Geocaching use it is much better. One device, all the information is there, a click or two away, while navigating. It is so much nicer caching now that I have one of these.

I have a Garmin MAP60C that I've run into the ground (literally) and Garmin replaced once already. I pretty much like the unit with the exception of the mushy center navigation button (press UP+UP+UP and often it goes UP+LEFT+UP or something....

I have a GPSMap 60CSx and a Colorado 400t. I love the Colorado it is a great unit! I really like my GPSMap 60CSx but it still has the issue with directional pad where pushing up goes left or some other direction. They are both great units but I would recommend the Colorado more! I don't use my PDA any more for paperless caching I can do it all on the Colorado.

I don't use my PDA any more for paperless caching I can do it all on the Colorado.
Sounds like the Colorado is getting the higher marks. Going to have to check the comparison info out. When you say you can dump the PDA in favor of the Colorado, how much can you load on there? Previous logs? Hints? And what about mapsets? We bought City Navigator for the MAP60C and really like that (but need to upgrade). Does the Colorado offer such a thing or is it built in? If the Colorado has the mapsets included then the cost difference isn't that much compared to a MAP60CSx + City Navigator....

When you say you can dump the PDA in favor of the Colorado, how much can you load on there? Previous logs? Hints? And what about mapsets? We bought City Navigator for the MAP60C and really like that (but need to upgrade). Does the Colorado offer such a thing or is it built in? If the Colorado has the mapsets included then the cost difference isn't that much compared to a MAP60CSx + City Navigator....

Yes, everything that is in the Pocket Query go on the unit, up to 2000 caches at a time.

It uses the same maps. If you get a 400t, Topo USA is pre-loaded. With a 300, there are no detailed maps. City Navigator would need to be purchased separately, unless you have a free unlock available from your old unit.

I have a Garmin MAP60C that I've run into the ground (literally) and Garmin replaced once already. I pretty much like the unit with the exception of the mushy center navigation button (press UP+UP+UP and often it goes UP+LEFT+UP or something.... no tactile feel at all, like the eTrax nav button better). Also heard that some Magellin units are more able to deal with geocaching with more notes (like hints) able to be uploaded to it.

I also have City Navigator and we use that for driving directions which is nice to have. But with the limited memory of the MAP60C we can't load in but one or two maps so for long trips it's useless. And we kayak a lot, mostly rivers and some bay paddles and have a suction mount for on the water. And I have a bike mount on my mountain bike and my road bike so my MAP60C has a lot of use outside geocaching.

I just finished some side work and have a littler 'fluff' money to spend and was thinking about upgrading. Looking at the MAP60CSX and the Colorado 300 (even though I don't care about unit-to-unit transfers or the picture viewer), but don't feel obligated to stick with Garmin if something else fits our needs better.

Any and all suggestions and comments welcomed!

It's a tough choice. I own so both so I'll give some of my personal experiences. I believe if you are mainly going to geocache the Colorado is the unit for you ( I'm going to assume you get a unit that works, I'm on my third so to be fair I'll keep those comments separate ).

I at this point mostly use it for outdoor activities like hiking, quading, boating ect. In this case the 60csx has some advantages - being able to display multiple tracks

- wavepoint averaging

- distance measurement from current position

- better water proofing ( they say there the same but in really)

-a better reciever ( both high sensitivity but I've done several test's and 60scx better)

- way better battery life

- lighter display

Colorado advantages

-cool displays

- all the geocaching functionality ( I don't do enough to comment but it sounds good)

Hopefully most of the Colorado's short comings will be fixed with updates.

I don't use my PDA any more for paperless caching I can do it all on the Colorado.
Sounds like the Colorado is getting the higher marks. Going to have to check the comparison info out. When you say you can dump the PDA in favor of the Colorado, how much can you load on there? Previous logs? Hints? And what about mapsets? We bought City Navigator for the MAP60C and really like that (but need to upgrade). Does the Colorado offer such a thing or is it built in? If the Colorado has the mapsets included then the cost difference isn't that much compared to a MAP60CSx + City Navigator....

[/quote I own both but tend to do alot more outdoor activities like hiking,boating,quading ect. than geocaching. Unfortunatley the Colorado has some important shortcomings you need to know about.

- it's reciever although "high" sensitivity is not as good under cover as the 60csx ( I've done tons of tests)

- at this point it is unable to display multiple tracks

- it's battery use is much worse than the 60csx

- no wavpoint averging

- dim screen

- can't measure distance from position with cursor

It sounds great for geocaching but for outdoor use it is abit of a pain, hopefully these can be fixed with updates.

some advantages - being able to display multiple tracks
Thanks for the comments but can you expand on this? If I have been tracking my paths and had some previously saved, does the Colorado only show one and not overlay all of them on the display?

-a better reciever ( both high sensitivity but I've done several test's and 60scx better)
Ouch!!! I am not overly happy with the reception on my MAP60C and if the Colorado is less accurate I'd be making it into a TB....
some advantages - being able to display multiple tracks
Thanks for the comments but can you expand on this? If I have been tracking my paths and had some previously saved, does the Colorado only show one and not overlay all of them on the display?

Ouch!!! I am not overly happy with the reception on my MAP60C and if the Colorado is less accurate I'd be making it into a TB....

At the moment, only 1 saved track can be displayed at a time. It is an obvious bug, so we assume will be fixed. However, you CAN save unlimited (AFAWK) tracks of whatever size. The 60 series is limitted to 20 tracks at 500 points each.

He mean less than the 60Csx. Personally I don't agree. It behaves a little differently, but the sensitivity and accuracy seem to be around the same.

On the Colorado you can view your current tracklog (most recent 10000 trackpoints) and one saved track (up to 10000 trackpoints) at the same time. You can have many more saved tracks loaded but only one is visible on the map page at a time.

Colorado is much better than the 60cs (no x) that I have which would be similar to your 60c. I think the previous post was referring to the 60csx which I cannot make a comparison with.

GO$Rs

On the Colorado you can view your current tracklog (most recent 10000 trackpoints) and one saved track (up to 10000 trackpoints) at the same time. You can have many more saved tracks loaded but only one is visible on the map page at a time.

Colorado is much better than the 60cs (no x) that I have which would be similar to your 60c. I think the previous post was referring to the 60csx which I cannot make a comparison with.

GO$Rs

absolutely. the 60csx and the Colorado are miles better than the 60cs, I've just found in cases with heavy cover the 60csx out performs the Colrado ( I still use both units on all trips mainly because of the instability of the Colorado)
absolutely. the 60csx and the Colorado are miles better than the 60cs, I've just found in cases with heavy cover the 60csx out performs the Colrado ( I still use both units on all trips mainly because of the instability of the Colorado)
In many places we hike and cache we're in heavy tree cover. We do our paperless caching with my Palm Tungsten TX with a couple Gb SD card and tons loaded on there. We also have the ability of yanking the SD card from the Z3 digital camera and viewing them in a slide show on the Tx and with the contacts, PDF's of park info and all the other stuff we use the Palm for I doubt we'd be sluffing off the Palm. So if the CSx is as good (if not better in some aspects) then the 400t for it's GPSr abilities, if I keep the TX with me then I'm not seeing much advantage to the 400t over the CSx. We have City Navigator so we're set on that already.

So if choosing between a MAP60CSx + Palm Tungsten TX or a Colorado 400t by itself, which is the better choice? My MAP60C has been swimming on more then one occasion while kayaking, has been knocked off my bike handlebar mount while mountain biking and has taken many a tumble when dislodged from my belt clip while bushwhacking. Will the Colorado be as rugged????

So if choosing between a MAP60CSx + Palm Tungsten TX or a Colorado 400t by itself, which is the better choice? My MAP60C has been swimming on more then one occasion while kayaking, has been knocked off my bike handlebar mount while mountain biking and has taken many a tumble when dislodged from my belt clip while bushwhacking. Will the Colorado be as rugged????

The PDA will do more, but the Colorado does it in one device, which is a lot less work and does not require 3 hands. It is quick and easy to switch from reading logs to navigating.

They seem to be as durable as the older models. Some people have had watertightness problems, but I'm not sure how wide spread that is.

The PDA will do more, but the Colorado does it in one device, which is a lot less work and does not require 3 hands. It is quick and easy to switch from reading logs to navigating.

They seem to be as durable as the older models. Some people have had watertightness problems, but I'm not sure how wide spread that is.

PDAs are not rugged and one drop ends most of their lives. I like the idea having it all in one rugged device.
PDAs are not rugged and one drop ends most of their lives. I like the idea having it all in one rugged device.
Totally agree. I get ribbed (in fun) about walking around hiking with a Sony A100 Alpha DSLR camera over my shoulder, a Minolta Z3 in my pack, a Garmin MAP60C on my belt, my Palm Tugnsten Tx beside it, my LG8700 beside that, my ultrasonic skeeter repeller, my ultrasonic dog chaiser (works with other critters, too), my mini-Maglite,... if I fell into a pond I'd get electricuted! B) I'm all for cutting down by at least one device.

How long do the 400t batteries last in normal operations? And what kind of water-tight issues are we referring to?

Oh yeah, one life saver with the Palm is that all my contacts and phone numbers are in there, I have multiple GSAK databases loaded in for all kinds of different areas including one for all my two hundred some odd hides and all stages of them as I do occasionally get 9-1-1 geo-panic calls from stuck cachers, and we load in PDF files of the park and preserve trail maps and info sheets for field reference. Still looking for a field wildlife identification guide to load in, too. How much PDA function is in the 400t?

And can you fully utilize an SD card? Can you load up an multi-gigabyte SD card with tons of caches (like GSAK databases) and then just access the ones you want at that particular time? Like if we were doing caches at several different places that were many, many miles apart, can we load in just the ones we're looking for right then and then swap them out when we go somewhere else or do all the caches have to be loaded at once (does this affect response)?

One other thing, we boght City Navigator for the MAP60C, does the 400t come loaded with this type of detailed mapping or do you still have to do something like buy extra mapping data? And if we already own City Navigator can we load that on the 400t (if necessary)? We like the search features of being able to find an italian resteraunt and a route us there and give us the address and phone # so we can make reservations before we even get out of the kayaks.

Thanks for the help. Big decision for me and if I don't do it soon the $$$ will end up paying bills rather then buying new toys B)

Edited by infiniteMPG
Totally agree. I get ribbed (in fun) about walking around hiking with a Sony A100 Alpha DSLR camera over my shoulder, a Minolta Z3 in my pack, a Garmin MAP60C on my belt, my Palm Tugnsten Tx beside it, my LG8700 beside that, my ultrasonic skeeter repeller, my ultrasonic dog chaiser (works with other critters, too), my mini-Maglite,... if I fell into a pond I'd get electricuted! B) I'm all for cutting down by at least one device.

How long do the 400t batteries last in normal operations? And what kind of water-tight issues are we referring to?

Oh yeah, one life saver with the Palm is that all my contacts and phone numbers are in there, I have multiple GSAK databases loaded in for all kinds of different areas including one for all my two hundred some odd hides and all stages of them as I do occasionally get 9-1-1 geo-panic calls from stuck cachers, and we load in PDF files of the park and preserve trail maps and info sheets for field reference. Still looking for a field wildlife identification guide to load in, too. How much PDA function is in the 400t?

And can you fully utilize an SD card? Can you load up an multi-gigabyte SD card with tons of caches (like GSAK databases) and then just access the ones you want at that particular time? Like if we were doing caches at several different places that were many, many miles apart, can we load in just the ones we're looking for right then and then swap them out when we go somewhere else or do all the caches have to be loaded at once (does this affect response)?

One other thing, we boght City Navigator for the MAP60C, does the 400t come loaded with this type of detailed mapping or do you still have to do something like buy extra mapping data? And if we already own City Navigator can we load that on the 400t (if necessary)? We like the search features of being able to find an italian resteraunt and a route us there and give us the address and phone # so we can make reservations before we even get out of the kayaks.

Thanks for the help. Big decision for me and if I don't do it soon the $$$ will end up paying bills rather then buying new toys B)

:D Batteries last 5-10 hours per the comparison on post#2. You still need to load City Navigator forthe street maps. That's why I was thinking of getting the 300T and not getting the topos. I don't really need topos but if do I can buy them later.

<snip>

And what kind of water-tight issues are we referring to?

<snip>

As for the weatherproofness of the Colorado, a few weeks ago a guy posted in these Forums about "drowning" a Colorado when he was demonstrating it to a customer . . . :D So, you don't want to drop it while getting out of your kayak . . .

It can most certainly withstand a few drops of rain, something a Palm cannot. My Palm has survived more than three years of caching because it stays in a hard case, in my pack, until I absolutely need it. My GPS units (Vista C and Vista HCx) have had to withstand lost of abuse . . . unintentionally administered. B) Whichever GPS unit you upgrade to, I recommend the Invisible Shield and a case and a lanyard, with an attachment hook . . . B)

Having upgraded from a 60CS three weeks ago I can only say go for the Colorado. Mine has worked like a dream since I got it. I love the paperless geocaching, the detailed screen and the huge memory ( when compared to the 60CS)

I looked at the 60CSX before upgrading but I knew that I'd only regret not buying the Colorado despite a lot of negative comments about it. The recent software updates have ironed out a lot of these and I'm sure Garmin will continue to work out solutions to other little glitches.

For a lot of people with the 60CSX the Colorado may not be a big step forward but from the CS it's night and day.

Found a few comparison sites and this one was direct between the Colorado and the 60CSx :

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Colorado+vs+60csx

A few things that caught my attention :

- For internal and SD memory Colorado beats 60CSx hands down

- For battery life the 60CSx minimum is 12 hrs (max 14) while the maximum on the Colorado is 10hrs (min 5). Kind of yucky as 5 hours isn't a lot for us.

- No direct lanyard attachment on the Colorado (that's how I carry my 60C)

- No single way to reset everything at once on the Colorado (used immediately after downloading my current GPSr stuff daily, before I upload all new stuff)

- Colorado reboots when you disconnect from computer. We use the Toughbook in the field to push stuff back and forth to the GPSr. This sounds flaky.

- Map files and segments a lot higher in the Colorado

- No accuracy ring displayed on mapping pages in the Colorado

- Can't pan/zoom maps in preview mode for routes on the Colorado

- Can't switch between track UP or north UP on the Colorado (we like this feature!)

- Can't customize waypoint symbols on the Colorado

- No POI descriptions on the Colorado

- No proximity alarms on the Colorado

- 20 saved track logs can be displayed at once on the 60CSx and only 1 on the Colorado

- Change change track color on the Colorado

- Can't recalculate the route on the Colorado

- No indication of upcoming cross street on the Colorado

- No prompted recalulation if off route on the Colorado

- Turn information pops up on the 60CSx when you're on any page, not on the Colorado

- Colorado can hold twice the geocaches as the 60CSx (but you need more then 1,000 loaded at once?)

- Colorado can mark cache in need of maintenance or DNF (we add it to notes on the 60C)

- Alarm clock on the Colorado

- Tide data/graph for date available on the 60CSx

- Current outdoor temp available on the Colorado but stated it's basically useless and reads wrong

- Other additions to Colorado is picture viewer, wireless data transfer, heart rate monitor, cadense sensor, but the 60CSx has built in games which the Colorado doesn't

Don't want to rain on anything but I am now leaning towards the 60CSx and hang on to my Palm for data (and everything else).

Edited by infiniteMPG

Generally this is true.

I remember doing some caching a few years back and had my old Compaq IPAQ on the dashboard of the car. We took a fairly fast turn out of a parking lot and I watched the IPAQ slide across the dash and out the window. It slid down the road a ways, landing right in the middle just as a Semi came by. The semi missed it by inches. I got out of the car, grabbed the IPAQ and... well it's still running to this day. Not even a scratch B)

It sounds like you will need to crank up the backlight so 5-6 hours is more likely. However if use rechargables this is less painful.
We already use the 1-hour rechargables and get good life but since both the GPSr's (MAP60C and eTrex) and the Z3 both use the same AA batteries we carry quite a few. It's just that I have yet to ever need to field change the batteries in my MAP60C. Wonder what would happen if you're marking a route while hiking with the Colorado, seeking a geocache, have everything displayed and the batteries die. Stop what you're doing, dig out the spares, swap them out, power it up, wait for satellite signal, re-find the cache you were seeking and start again... and what happens to the route?
It sounds like you will need to crank up the backlight so 5-6 hours is more likely. However if use rechargables this is less painful.
We already use the 1-hour rechargables and get good life but since both the GPSr's (MAP60C and eTrex) and the Z3 both use the same AA batteries we carry quite a few. It's just that I have yet to ever need to field change the batteries in my MAP60C. Wonder what would happen if you're marking a route while hiking with the Colorado, seeking a geocache, have everything displayed and the batteries die. Stop what you're doing, dig out the spares, swap them out, power it up, wait for satellite signal, re-find the cache you were seeking and start again... and what happens to the route?

I'm sure it would save it. Maybe you could add an USB battery pack to your bag of tricks. B)

Generally this is true.

I remember doing some caching a few years back and had my old Compaq IPAQ on the dashboard of the car. We took a fairly fast turn out of a parking lot and I watched the IPAQ slide across the dash and out the window. It slid down the road a ways, landing right in the middle just as a Semi came by. The semi missed it by inches. I got out of the car, grabbed the IPAQ and... well it's still running to this day. Not even a scratch B)

B) I forgot my hiking stick one day and I was walking at a brisk pace downhill with my IPAQ in my pocket. Anyhow, I stepped on a sandy rock and went down hard. Of course the pocket that had the IPAQ hit the rock and the IPAQ was dead. I got a nice bruise on my thigh that was the shape of the IPAQ. :D Anyhow, I threw the IPAQ on the charger. It wouldn't charge and remained dead. Then I smacked it a few times and threw it on the charger again and forgot about it. I came back about a month later and it was working again! It was a miracle! B) Anyhow, the lesson I learned is to leave my IPAQ in my backpack!
I'm sure it would save it. Maybe you could add an USB battery pack to your bag of tricks. :anitongue:
Didn't they say that the Colorado REBOOTS when you disconnect it from a computer.... I would think if you have it ported to a USB device, even to recharge the batteries, that it would reboot when you disconnected.
:anitongue: I forgot my hiking stick one day and I was walking at a brisk pace downhill with my IPAQ in my pocket. Anyhow, I stepped on a sandy rock and went down hard. Of course the pocket that had the IPAQ hit the rock and the IPAQ was dead. I got a nice bruise on my thigh that was the shape of the IPAQ. :anitongue: Anyhow, I threw the IPAQ on the charger. It wouldn't charge and remained dead. Then I smacked it a few times and threw it on the charger again and forgot about it. I came back about a month later and it was working again! It was a miracle! ;) Anyhow, the lesson I learned is to leave my IPAQ in my backpack!
I have a nice belt carrier for my Palm Tungsten Tx and it has a cool magnetic flap so I can whip it in and out quick. The problem I've had is the cover doesn't cover the stylus area and the stylus can just slide out even while the Palm is in the case. One day I was preparing for a hike and when I went to clip it on my belt I missed my belt and the thing went slamming onto the concrete parking lot. I checked and it powered up fine. Whew! Then I looked and it had dented the corner of the plastic in a little where the stylus sits. I pulled the stylus out and now the stylus is locked in and I have to pull it out rather then it free falling out! Dumb luck!!! ;)

A few more questions....

With the storage (paper-less) on a 400t, what is the displaying/searching of caches like compared to CacheMate on my Palm PDA? On my Palm I can display all caches in a database (and I can have a load of different databases active) sorted by cache full names. Then with one click I can sort them by their waymark GC code. When I click on the cache I get a brief overview, then I can see the full description, difficulties, owner, date information, hints (decoded), past five logs and I can enter info into a log or notes field right there. Does the 400t have the ability to browse thru caches similar to this???

And when the caches are displayed, can you customize waymark symbols? I like to have ALL caches in an area showing as I like hiding caches when I stumble across a new spot and you need to know where everything is, not just unfound caches. So I customized GSAK to mark MY caches with a different symbol so when we're tooling around I know just from the icon if it's an unfound cache (closed treasure chest), found cache (open chest), or my cache (and also load up all stages of my multi caches, too). Can you still use GSAK and customize the icons, names and things like that before loading them to GSAK? And can you download the data from the 400t to Mapsource to see what you've done at the end of the day?

I'm sure it would save it. Maybe you could add an USB battery pack to your bag of tricks. :anitongue:
Didn't they say that the Colorado REBOOTS when you disconnect it from a computer.... I would think if you have it ported to a USB device, even to recharge the batteries, that it would reboot when you disconnected.

Being connected to a PC is different than feeding it 5V via the USB connector. It's the same thing as plugging it into your cigarette lighter adaptor but you would be using a battery pack.

With the storage (paper-less) on a 400t, what is the displaying/searching of caches like compared to CacheMate on my Palm PDA? On my Palm I can display all caches in a database (and I can have a load of different databases active) sorted by cache full names. Then with one click I can sort them by their waymark GC code. When I click on the cache I get a brief overview, then I can see the full description, difficulties, owner, date information, hints (decoded), past five logs and I can enter info into a log or notes field right there. Does the 400t have the ability to browse thru caches similar to this???

And when the caches are displayed, can you customize waymark symbols? I like to have ALL caches in an area showing as I like hiding caches when I stumble across a new spot and you need to know where everything is, not just unfound caches. So I customized GSAK to mark MY caches with a different symbol so when we're tooling around I know just from the icon if it's an unfound cache (closed treasure chest), found cache (open chest), or my cache (and also load up all stages of my multi caches, too). Can you still use GSAK and customize the icons, names and things like that before loading them to GSAK? And can you download the data from the 400t to Mapsource to see what you've done at the end of the day?

It is not as fancy as Cachemate, but you navigate, while looking at the information, which is a huge plus. There are no multiple databases. You can sort by name, nearest, GC code or search by name. You can see all of the same information that is in Cachemate. There is no facility to add notes. It would be a PITA anyway as there is no touchscreen.

Icons are the same as the ones used by Groundspeak and these are not adjustable. You can use custom POIs for the found and owned caches with special icons, if you wish. That is what I do and they are stored and searchable by type.

Yes, you can upload to Mapsource. In addition, your logs can be uploaded to Groundspeak directly, which makes online logging much smoother.

These are two of the 5 different Geoache navigation screens.

919.jpg

914.jpg

From there is is two clicks to see the description, logs or hint.