Geocoin Etiquette?

dvogelgesang

Hello again!

A couple more noob questions. ;)

When taking a geocoin (or travel bug for that matter) from a cache with the intent of moving it along, is it generally practiced to leave another trinket/token behind? I know the principle with swag is usually if you take something, you should leave something of similar value. I wasn't sure if this applied to trackable items as well.

And question #2. ;) I'm going on vacation in a couple of months and there are a few coins in my area that I'd like to help move along. Is it acceptable to get them now and hold onto the coins for a period of time before placing in a new cache, or would it be better to wait until right before I leave and see if the coins are still there?

Thanks again!

Edited by Cademair

Coins are not considered swag, so if you are taking a coin to move it on, help it complete its mission it is ok to take it without having to leave a coin in its place.

If you have already researched coins in caches in your area that you feel you can help with their missions, just write to the coin owner through their profile and ask them. I am sure most would be happy to know that a coin is 'heading in the right direction' than risk it being left in the cache to be picked up by someone not as considerate who might move it in completely the wrong direction ;)

Just to echo others, you're spot on about contacting the owners about holding them that long.

As for #1, coins and TBs are not trade items and do not need to be traded for, no matter what the circumstances. Feel free to grab them and move them along. The owners will thank you!

You do not need to trade one for one when trading a trackable item.

If you pick up a non-trackable coin, you should trade fairly, and evenly, coins are not cheap.

I would not pick up bugs now and hold them for a couple of months, I would pick them up much closer to actually leaving for vacation. And make sure any you pick up on vacation want to leave the area, if you bring them home. Nothing feels worse than moving a bug 1000 miles only to find out it was supposed to stay in the area. Ok, well maybe some things feel worse, but you know what I mean.

You do not need to trade one for one when trading a trackable item.

This also goes for caches that try to control your actions by placing stupid illegal rules on them. Ignore them. If you can help the TB and it's owner out or just simply can move it along, then by all means do so. Ignore the dumb trading rules placed on caches by these TB Prison Owners!