OK. I am going to buy a Garmin Colorado...

Okay. I have had my etrex legend for a few years now, and last summer I got turned onto geocaching. I have decided that my etrex gets cruddy signal in the trees (as well as anywhere else for that matter) and I am upgrading. After some research and comparisons, I feel the Colorado is just right for me. (I love all the Geocache specific stuff, as well as "paperless" support and Wherigo support!)

But here is my question. do I get the 300 or the 400t with the topo maps?? I can't seem to find any good screen shots comparing the two. I think the base maps will work fine for me as I don't do much outdoors-y stuff other than geocaching yet. (I am working on using this "nature" I hear so much about more often though!) I am wondering if the base map has basic streets or roads at all? or trails, streams that sort of thing?? or is it just a basic line map??

I live in a more urban-ish environment, and while I DO like getting into the trees more and more, some basic road functionality would be cool. ( I know I can get the city navigator later, but is ther a basic set in the base map?)

But anyway, to make a LONG question short;

"What difference does the Topo map make?"

Makes the biggest difference along hilly areas and creeks/streams/rivers, gives you an idea of where you are in relationship to those marks, as well as which side of the creek/hill/river you need to get to, and the best way to get there.

I got the 400t just because I knew if I didn't then I would be upgrading again, I also got the City Navigator map for it.

The plan (for me) is to have 2 profiles, one for 'Street' and one for 'Cache', street will get me to the area while 'Cache' will get me within 15 feet or so.

Still waiting for the device to ship, but I'm looking forward to it.

The basemap on the 300 is very primitive. It has major highways and cities, some course DEM data but it doesn't have much else.

If you want elevation contours, water body information, points of interest related to geological features or even a basic road map (no routing) then you'll want to look at the 400t.

GO$Rs

The basemap on the 300 is very primitive. It has major highways and cities, some course DEM data but it doesn't have much else.

If you want elevation contours, water body information, points of interest related to geological features or even a basic road map (no routing) then you'll want to look at the 400t.

GO$Rs

so the topo map DOES have some basic "road" functions? non-routing is fine (since I will probably get city navigator later anyway) but on my etrex I had mapsource 2002 I think, and loaded some basic road maps so if the topo maps on the 400t come even CLOSE to that,it would be perfect for me right now.

As mentioned previously, Topo does have roads and stuff, although I think the maps are a bit old -- possibly 2-3 years or more out of date. I see lots of local stuff not on Topo 2008.

As for the maps -- you can get a 300 and buy Topo 2008, but you can't easily load maps for the whole U.S. without some 3rd party tools. The 400t has the whole U.S. map loaded.

The base map contains highways, interstates, major roads, etc..., but not each and every street. Its very usable if you know the area, but if you need to navigate to some place in town, you better have a paper map.

I opted for the 300 as I tried out the topo maps and they really didn't help me around here. If I lived somewhere with alot of streams, hills, etc... I would see the need.

I really like the fact that the 400t has the Topo maps. I like being able to switch between my City Nav maps and the Topo maps. The City Nav were purchased separately of course.

I know most people would either not care or just say that you can load what you need. I enjoy having the entire United States on one unit.

As with any map if there are new developing roads they aren't going to show up on the maps. I haven't had a problem with any thing missing. So far as I have seen, the roads on the City Nav and Topo 2008 are pretty much the same. But I live in South Dakota....

Edited by StaticTank

I really like the fact that the 400t has the Topo maps. I like being able to switch between my City Nav maps and the Topo maps. The City Nav were purchased separately of course.

I think it was you that pushed me over the edge to get the Colorado. I was using 3 devices prior (nüvi 660 to get there, GPSmap 60CSx to get me closer and Motorola Q in case I needed a hint/view logs).

Now I hope to just use one device for everything.

So far as I have seen, the roads on the City Nav and Topo 2008 are pretty much the same. But I live in South Dakota....

ok THAT give me an idea of what I need. IF I get the 400t, I can hold off on getting navigator for awhile!

Now I need to go talk my wife into letting me spend an extra $100.00 :)

Makes the biggest difference along hilly areas and creeks/streams/rivers, gives you an idea of where you are in relationship to those marks, as well as which side of the creek/hill/river you need to get to, and the best way to get there.

I got the 400t just because I knew if I didn't then I would be upgrading again, I also got the City Navigator map for it.

The plan (for me) is to have 2 profiles, one for 'Street' and one for 'Cache', street will get me to the area while 'Cache' will get me within 15 feet or so.

Still waiting for the device to ship, but I'm looking forward to it.

Actually the profiles are already in the unit. But you also have the "Geocache" profile. Once this profile is selected if you choose a Geocache and hit "GoTo" assuming you have CityNav installed then you will get Road Nav with a off road transition from the nearest road.

Of course it is worth noting that you not only have the Cache Description available, but the recent logs as well. None of this is in the manual of course, but it really is paperless caching. I was holding on to my 60cxs, but it will be sold in the very near future.

Bazzer

So far as I have seen, the roads on the City Nav and Topo 2008 are pretty much the same. But I live in South Dakota....

ok THAT give me an idea of what I need. IF I get the 400t, I can hold off on getting navigator for awhile!

Now I need to go talk my wife into letting me spend an extra $100.00 :ph34r:

Topo 2008 has many of the detailed streets/roads as MetroGuide and City Nav, but Topo does not auto-route. Additionally, it has been established in other threads that the streets/roads can be off up to 300 feet. I can confirm this as I have Topo 2008 and MetroGuide v8. Some streets are close, but it mostly off target. I haven't taken accurate readings, but in some cases the streets seem off further than 300 feet.

Isn't it more affordable to get the 300 and Topo separately? Topo only runs about $85; I got mine on eBay for $70.

Edited by Chuy!

Okay. I have had my etrex legend for a few years now, and last summer I got turned onto geocaching. I have decided that my etrex gets cruddy signal in the trees (as well as anywhere else for that matter) and I am upgrading. After some research and comparisons, I feel the Colorado is just right for me. (I love all the Geocache specific stuff, as well as "paperless" support and Wherigo support!)

But here is my question. do I get the 300 or the 400t with the topo maps?? I can't seem to find any good screen shots comparing the two. I think the base maps will work fine for me as I don't do much outdoors-y stuff other than geocaching yet. (I am working on using this "nature" I hear so much about more often though!) I am wondering if the base map has basic streets or roads at all? or trails, streams that sort of thing?? or is it just a basic line map??

I live in a more urban-ish environment, and while I DO like getting into the trees more and more, some basic road functionality would be cool. ( I know I can get the city navigator later, but is ther a basic set in the base map?)

But anyway, to make a LONG question short;

"What difference does the Topo map make?"

One other difference between the 400t and the 300 w/Topo 2008 loaded that I haven't seen mentioned here is that the 400t also has 3d views of the topo map available. I don't have a 300 to compare to my 400t, but that is the info from GPSMagazine.com's review. Review

One other difference between the 400t and the 300 w/Topo 2008 loaded that I haven't seen mentioned here is that the 400t also has 3d views of the topo map available. I don't have a 300 to compare to my 400t, but that is the info from GPSMagazine.com's review. Review

Both the 300 and 400t do DEM shading and 3D view if the maps you have loaded and selected support it (Topo2008 DVD and preloaded Topo2008 both support it).

G3 in the FAQ has a comparison of differences between the two units.

GO$Rs

Both the 300 and 400t do DEM shading and 3D view if the maps you have loaded and selected support it (Topo2008 DVD and preloaded Topo2008 both support it).

G3 in the FAQ has a comparison of differences between the two units.

GO$Rs

okay...even reading the FAQ AGAIN I am still confused. should I get a 300 and get US topo on it's own?? or get the 400t? I will be adding city nav at some point since I will have use for the roads to be "accurate" and from what I can tell from here, the roads in topo are not very good.

One other question, will older software work on the colorado?? I have city select from 2002 or so, and If I could load THAT over the topo map would it work??

uggggg I am so confused. it seems like the more I research, the more I can't figure this out. I have a Master's degree for pete's sake!

okay...even reading the FAQ AGAIN I am still confused. should I get a 300 and get US topo on it's own?? or get the 400t? I will be adding city nav at some point since I will have use for the roads to be "accurate" and from what I can tell from here, the roads in topo are not very good.

One other question, will older software work on the colorado?? I have city select from 2002 or so, and If I could load THAT over the topo map would it work??

uggggg I am so confused. it seems like the more I research, the more I can't figure this out. I have a Master's degree for pete's sake!

Get a 300 + CN 2008. If you have City Select you MIGHT have an unlock code to spare for that version. However, spend the extra money and get an updated mapset ( CN 2008 ).

Down the road if you need topo maps, get Topo US.

Get a 300 + CN 2008. If you have City Select you MIGHT have an unlock code to spare for that version. However, spend the extra money and get an updated mapset ( CN 2008 ).

Down the road if you need topo maps, get Topo US.

So if I am understanding this, the CN will overlay the base map and give me a good set of ACCURATE roads, but with a "good"-ish set of off road "terrain" for when I hit the trails??

And when I do get topo, it will still do all the 3D stuff like the 400t can do, even though topo US by itself is slightly different than the one loaded on the 400t, right?

And while I am asking.... I see a LOT of City Navigator 2008 "update" disks. these will NOT work for me right?

Edited by CacheARRRS

I don't get it, if you're going to run streets and topo anyway why not get the 400t to begin with?

It supports larger SD cards and has the topo already loaded to boot.

That's exactly what I did anyway... 400t plus City Navigator NT 2008 = bases covered.

Yes, that's what I did. The OP did mention that he wasn't planning much "much outdoors-y stuff", that's why I suggested he get the 300.

I think that he is too confused to buy a GPSr ... :ph34r: ... I'm dropping out of this thread, it's too painful.

I think that he is too confused to buy a GPSr ... ;) ... I'm dropping out of this thread, it's too painful.

Well, thanks for the wonderful attitude! I appreciate the support.

I don't have a big need for topo maps right NOW, but some time to the future I might have more use for them. I was looking for some information about base maps and road coverage, to make sure I WOULD HAVE THE FUNCTIONS I DID NEED NOW. It APPEARED that you understood that when I looked at your post. But then you come back with an insult when I follow up on your advice?

There are plenty of comparisons and FAQs that label all the differences of the units, but I was having trouble getting a clear picture of WHICH unit and software would work the best for my situation and wanted some opinions from fellow users.

I do not have the option of running to a store and checking them out in person. Most online stores (Garmin's site included) just use the same screen shots with no where showing a comparison. And before I spend $600+ dollars on an item, I wanted to make sure it would FIT MY NEEDS.

I wonder, if you are so troubled by people trying to figure something out and asking a follow up question or two, why even bother being here anyway?

XopherN71: I MIGHT be using topo in the future, but for right now, if the base maps+CN can get me what I need I can save the $100.00. That was the initial reasoning behind my post, if the base maps would cover what I needed or not. I would hate to have topo maps (with the added cost) if I won't have use for them. And THAT is why all the questions. In fact some people had mentioned that even IF I wanted topo, it was cheaper to get a 300 and buy the maps seperatly anyway (it even alludes to this in the FAQ) Thanks for all the help.

Edited by CacheARRRS

XopherN71: I MIGHT be using topo in the future, but for right now, if the base maps+CN can get me what I need I can save the $100.00.

Gotcha... I guess that point kind of got lost in the thread and I wasn't sure if you had changed your mind on that or not.

Tough call, but from experience what I've learned is that if you think you might use/need something in the future it's better off just to bite the bullet and pay for it from the start. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten what will get me by only to sell it for a loss and upgrade, sometimes 3x over.

Not trying to talk you into something you don't need, only you truly know that answer... just throwing out my experience and recommendation based off of it.

In the end, almost ANY GPS will do - it just depends on what features you want. The reality is, you don't need any maps at all, but it sure makes things easier.

One other thing to consider, not a big deal but I don't think the entire Topo 2008 can be loaded on to one memory card. This is a plus for the 400t. I don't think I would want to go with out the Topo maps when Geocaching, especially in strange places where I don't know the lay of the land. To me having both the Topo and the City Nav is the only option. It is different for every one.

With the Colorado 400t and The City Nav maps (NT) on SD Card I have the entire US all in one unit.

I already had the City Nav maps and I decided not to get the 300. Just my preference and my money I guess...

I recommend the 400t, I do not regret it at all.

You cannot load the entire Topo2008 DVD onto the SD card, you'll run into the 4-5k map segment limit. What you can do:

1) Load 4000 segments of Topo2008 DVD onto the SD card. It takes a while (>24hrs on my PC) to build this map set but it works and gets you almost all of the continental US.

2) Use the tool and procedure described in this thread to work around the segment limit.

I haven't actually tried 2) myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work on the Colorado.

GO$Rs

Tough call, but from experience what I've learned is that if you think you might use/need something in the future it's better off just to bite the bullet and pay for it from the start. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten what will get me by only to sell it for a loss and upgrade, sometimes 3x over.

I can understand that story, as it has happened to me before as well! I think you might be right and I'll just have to go in whole hog.

One other thing to consider, not a big deal but I don't think the entire Topo 2008 can be loaded on to one memory card. This is a plus for the 400t. I don't think I would want to go with out the Topo maps when Geocaching, especially in strange places where I don't know the lay of the land. To me having both the Topo and the City Nav is the only option. It is different for every one.

With the Colorado 400t and The City Nav maps (NT) on SD Card I have the entire US all in one unit.

I already had the City Nav maps and I decided not to get the 300. Just my preference and my money I guess...

I recommend the 400t, I do not regret it at all.

I guess at first I didn't see the need to have the entire US all at once, since my Etrex could only do a few areas, I just got used to reloading it with city select for the new area I was going to, that was before geocaching though. Now that you guys bring it up, it WOULD be kind of nice to have everywhere I might go without having to reload all the time.

You cannot load the entire Topo2008 DVD onto the SD card, you'll run into the 4-5k map segment limit. What you can do:

GO$Rs

One question that I haven't seen anywhere, is it possible to load only SOME of the map segments?? like remove a few from your 400t to free up some space or speed up load times? Has anyone tried this?

All in all, I think it looks like the 300 I was going to order this morning will be changed into a 400t. Maybe I can sell my old GPS fast enough that my wife won't notice the money difference... ;)

One question that I haven't seen anywhere, is it possible to load only SOME of the map segments?? like remove a few from your 400t to free up some space or speed up load times? Has anyone tried this?

This is one difference between the 400t preloaded Topo2008 maps versus the Topo2008 DVD. If you buy the DVD you can load as many map segments as you want up to the 4000-5000 limit using Mapsource. With the 400t the entire US is loaded in internal memory, all 2.7G, and there is no (official) way to pick and choose which segments of the map you want loaded.

GO$Rs

One other thing to consider when buying a 300 and then loading maps from the Topo 2008 CD and CNNA NT 2008 CD is that if you want to load a different area of one map, you have to also reload the other map. MetroGuide combines the maps into one file and transfers it to the unit memory or SD card.

If you went with the 400T, all you have to load is the entire CNNA NT 2008 maps and you are done.

I got the 400t and City Navigator. I don't miss having to load maps on anymore - now when I travel for business I am set - I download a PQ based on my hotel's zip code and I am ready to explore. I have navigator to get me around on the streets. I have found more and more uses for the topo than I thought I would. The extra is really worth it.

for a quick comparrison of all the colorado units you can go to gpsnow.com. they have a good proce too.

ok here is the low down for you

colorado 300 is the most basic model. it supports smaller sd cards and only has a vey basic base map. these things dont detract form the unit too badly. Also remember Topo 2008 is NOT the topo loaded on the colorado 400t. if you try to load all of us topo 2008 on the colorado 300 you will get errors. it wouldnt be a problem if you only loaded the states around where you live tho. also note that you will have to load topo and CN2008 ( if you want it) on the same SD card limiting how much of either you can put on the unit.

the colorado 400t supports a larger SD card and has a larger internal memory. the topo maps that come on it are pretty good but not as good as us topo 2008. You Can NOT transfer the maps from the 400t to a computer you can only do this if you buy the US topo 2008 software and maps and replace the existing topo maps on the unit with them. I have had 8gb SB card work on the 400t and have the entire us CN 2008 on it. this works fine. the maps load slower but having the CN and topo maps loaded together is a great feature just select your cache and hit go and you get turn by turn directions to it. I do not recommend scrolling out past 1 mile with both maps loaded as there is too much clutter between the topo and cn.

so there ya go

get the 300 and pay 400 bucks plus 100 for CN and 100 for topo 2008. grand total about 650 bucks ( with taxes and shipping )

get the 400t and pay 517 bucks. you get pretty good topo maps included. buy CN 2008 add 100 bucks. grand total about 630 bucks (tax included)

so i would buy the 400t ( I actually did) it has larger internal memory and supports larger SD cards

hope that helps

get the 300 and pay 400 bucks plus 100 for CN and 100 for topo 2008. grand total about 650 bucks ( with taxes and shipping )

get the 400t and pay 517 bucks. you get pretty good topo maps included. buy CN 2008 add 100 bucks. grand total about 630 bucks (tax included)

Topo 2008 is $85 max. and your math above stinks. You add $50 to the 300 for tax and shipping and only $23 to the 400t

The last firmware update must have changed the SD card support because the 400 used to support a higher size.

Key word, support... I had a nuvi that I ran an 8GB card in but it only 'supported' 4GB cards, meaning if I called Garmin with a problem related to my 8GB card all they'd have to do is tell me it wasn't supported.

Still looking for where it stated that, if I find it I'll post it.