Etrex H ?

I recently bought what I thought was an Etrex H. The new one with the better receiver. I am now beginning to wonder if it was the older version I have been sold. While out today I had the etrex and my old gps12 with me and the etrex kept losing the signal where the old 12 didn't.

So....Is there a way to tell the difference between the the old and the new version?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers....Tackety Bits

I'm going to sound facetious here, but won't the Etrex H have Etrex H on the front?

A more helpful idea might be do-able if you have Mapsource, Garmin's mapping product. When you send and receive waypoints using Mapsource it detects the device it is sending / receiving to. I don't know about the Etrex H as such, but when I send to my gpsmap60CS, the model (gpsmap60cs) appears in the send / receive dialogue box.

However, if you don't have Mapsource, maybe someone else will have an another idea..?

So....Is there a way to tell the difference between the the old and the new version?

What did the box say? Etrex or Etrex H; the Etrex H boxes clearly state that it is the H model on them.

I also think you'll find that the old one had the globe above the lcd, whereas the H didn't have the globe on it at all.

The Etrex H part number is: 010-00631-00 [you can see the picture and details here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=8705 ]

I could have told you for certain a few days ago, as I had one; however I've just sent my Etrex H back as it kept turning itself off, and the other day whenever you pressed the PAGE button the screen died.

Looking at upgrading to the Etrex Legend Hcx rather than buy another basic Etrex H.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

My e-trex is getting on now just the same as the one in the picture but it does have the globe icon above the screen and it says 12 channel gps on the screen. I would upload image but not sure how. If yours looks like mine I'd say you have got the basic e-trex although I say basic it serves me very well.

Thanks for all the replies lads (and lassies)

I should have said I bought it second hand so no box unfortunately. Looks like I have been had though :)

Cheers all.....Tackety Bits

roast them on ebay!

I just had to get another, I did notice the difference in the globe being on one and not the other, the old etrex's where going for about £45-50 including postage, I did query some of the H's listed as they where showing the image with the globe in the end I had a look around found a H for £66 inc. postage from amazon when I seen that I thought ebay wasn't worth the hassle

seems the price has gone up on amazon now