Geocaching mode?

tommytrauma

I've been doing light, local geocaching for around a year now, and am really enjoying it.

So far, I've been doing fine with my Etrex Legand. I enter the coordinates manually, and I'm off and running. I've noticed though that some of the newer GPSRs are billed as having a 'geocaching mode'. Haven't managed to find out what this is though. Can someone clue me in?

Tom

I'm new to this so I'm probably not much help, but my Garmin gpsmap 60csx has this and it allows you to select 'Find/Geocaches' and then mark them as found with a time/date stamp. You can also directly download them from Garmin and geocaching.com and they'll show up in the Geocache list.

Pretty slick.

I am not sure about the eTrex Legend, but my older eTrex Vista comes with a serial cable with which I can connect it to my PC. I don't have to put the co-ordinates into it manually, but with the unit connected to the PC, I select the cache I am interested in and click on "Send to GPS" on the cache page. It will send the co-ordinates to the GPS unit automatically. I say automatically, only if you have loaded a small program before doing this. If the program is already loaded, then it will not ask you to install it. If the program is not there, it will ask you if you want to install the small program. It is your choice if you want to install it, and consequentally, send the co-ordinates to your GPSr.

I'm new to this so I'm probably not much help, but my Garmin gpsmap 60csx has this and it allows you to select 'Find/Geocaches' and then mark them as found with a time/date stamp. You can also directly download them from Garmin and geocaching.com and they'll show up in the Geocache list.

Pretty slick.

I have the 76csx and can mark them as found. I didn't realize it marked the time/date. How do I see this?

They should appear in your Calendar on the appropriate date, assuming you havn't deleted the cache from the unit. This works at least as far back as the Legend C.

Thanks. I never looked at the calendar, but mine only shows the caches found and points marked on the date, but no time is listed.

Please note, however, that in order to use this feature, you cannot use alternate icons depending on the type of cache. The Garmin GPSMap 60 series and the Colorado series come with a "Geocaching Mode" but it ONLY has two icons to use. The first is a closed cache box, the second is the same thing, open. I know that you can add custom icons on the 60Cx, and so I have done so to use the Geocaching.com icons for the various cache types. The problem with this is that you cannot tell Geocaching Mode that all these icons are geocaches. You can only select one unfound icon, and there's one found icon. While this seems to be a nice idea, it's a little lacking in my opinion.

For those who might not understand why this is an issue, I usually keep my GPS loaded with ~900 caches around my home. As I am going about my daily business, I go through and pick up caches as they are convenient for me. The result is that I want to have different images so that, as I'm going by, I can see on the map that this cache is a traditional cache, so I have time to get it, whereas this other one nearby is a mystery cache, so it may actually be no-where near. On another trip, where I have a lot more time, I might be interested in going back after that mystery cache. Or the multi right down the road. Thus, I want different cache icons so that I can tell what's available.

Depending on how you cache, this may be a good thing, or it may be a nearly useless feature. That is for you to decide.

For those who might not understand why this is an issue, I usually keep my GPS loaded with ~900 caches around my home. As I am going about my daily business, I go through and pick up caches as they are convenient for me. The result is that I want to have different images so that, as I'm going by, I can see on the map that this cache is a traditional cache, so I have time to get it, whereas this other one nearby is a mystery cache, so it may actually be no-where near. On another trip, where I have a lot more time, I might be interested in going back after that mystery cache. Or the multi right down the road. Thus, I want different cache icons so that I can tell what's available.

You can accomplish the same thing by manipulating your waypoint names. I have GSAK set up so that it strips the GC off the waypoint name and replaces it with type and size. If GC12345 is a traditional small sized cache it becomes TS12345. If GC54321 is a micro, multi it becomes MM54321. GCABCD is a puzzle/mystery with a regular sized container it becomes URABECD. This method allows you keep the standard geocache icon, use the geocaching feature and still know what kind of cache you are looking for. An added advantage is that you can sort your caches by type.

You can accomplish the same thing by manipulating your waypoint names. I have GSAK set up so that it strips the GC off the waypoint name and replaces it with type and size. If GC12345 is a traditional small sized cache it becomes TS12345. If GC54321 is a micro, multi it becomes MM54321. GCABCD is a puzzle/mystery with a regular sized container it becomes URABECD. This method allows you keep the standard geocache icon, use the geocaching feature and still know what kind of cache you are looking for. An added advantage is that you can sort your caches by type.

I strip out puzzle (unknown) caches from my PQ's so that they don't take up unnecessary space in my 60CSx. They are of no use on there anyway as you have to work out the first waypoint on that type. This method leaves more space in its memory for traditional caches further afield.

I don't find the "Geocaching mode" any use whatsoever. When you get near the cache, it automatically sets it as "found" even if you haven't actually found it yet. Also, I wouldn't use any method of uploading "found" caches to my PC automatically, as part of the fun of this hobby is actually spending some time recalling the trips and writing something memorable in the logs.

I have just got a Garmin Venture Cx and it has Geocaching mode. I haven't even found a cache yet but on my dog walk I took it out in Geocache mode and you have to tell it you found the cache - it doesn't do it automatically.

I need to get a mini usb cable though to help as I am inputting by hand at the moment!

I will probably start calling my caches new names as suggested by briansnat.

I will be back out later with my fella and the dogs to catch my FIRST ever cache soon! I can't wait!

I have just got a Garmin Venture Cx and it has Geocaching mode. I haven't even found a cache yet but on my dog walk I took it out in Geocache mode and you have to tell it you found the cache - it doesn't do it automatically.

It only sets it to found automatically if you use the "Go to" feature. I am referring to the GPSMap60CSx but others probably work in a similar way.

It only sets it to found automatically if you use the "Go to" feature. I am referring to the GPSMap60CSx but others probably work in a similar way.

I use the 76csx and use goto, but it won't automatically switch it to found. I have to hit the page button and mark it as found, then it asks if I want to quit or find next. I like the way it is set up, except I'm still looking for the time stamp.

Briansnat, thanks for the waypoint name change idea.

Edit to delete dumb question.

Edited by SeventhSon
<snip>

Depending on how you cache, this may be a good thing, or it may be a nearly useless feature. That is for you to decide.

I find the Geocaching Mode to be very useful, and coupled with GSAK's "Smart Name" codes for the Waypoint, I can see at a glance what kind of cache I have on my map screen, or in the list or nearby caches. This is the code I use for the Waypoint name on my Vista HCx:

%smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

The information included is part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, etc.), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale). I put the name code first to help if I have to use the "Find by Name" function on the GPSr.

A cache called "Golden Hammer" which is a Regular-size Traditional cache with a Difficulty rating of '2.5' and a Terrain rating of '2' might have this waypoint name on my GPSr:

GoldenHam RT43 :unsure:

I don't find the "Geocaching mode" any use whatsoever. When you get near the cache, it automatically sets it as "found" even if you haven't actually found it yet.

I have the 60CSX and I need to manyually hit found for it to be set as found. Sometimes I accidentally hit the enter button and it is marked as found before I found it, but that's my fault.