BEAR!

Decided to go out with the whole family today, We were walking to a cache site that was about 1/2 a mile away from our car in a very seclided area and when we got about 1/2 way there right in front of me just off the trail was a small black bear. I said out loud "There is a bear right there" turned around and my 4yr old daughter was hightailing it right back to the car!! The bear was more scared of us than we were of him. Needless to say that we didn't get to find that one, Maybe next time.

Mike, were those taken in Newberry by chance? If so, I took the kids there this past fall and had the same experience with the cubs. What a great time and an impressive set up.

Been meaning to post here and tell you hi...recognize you from the jeep boards, I just operate under a different nick here. If you're up our way and want to do some team caching, we 're game!

Laurel

(Mudmomma on gl4x4)

Well, the ones that run away from you are the rural bear. Frightened of people. I came close to a heart attack when I almost stepped on one. Bear took off into the dead mountain laurel (that must have hurt!) Then there was the cub who was sunning himself on the rocks. Heard me coming, and ran across the trail, right in front of me.

Then there are the urban bear. The ones used to people. They sit and stare at you from a distance. In many ways, those are more frightening. Met one near a campgroound, on the AT, in Shenandoah. He sat in the middle of the trail and wathed me for twenty minutes before moving on. Or the three cubs on the AT in Maine. They weren't paying us no never mind. You knew that momma was nearby. My sister yelled at them: Go away bear! Finally they did. Did I mention the trhee that I saw on the trail? Cub 1 went bounding off into the woods to the northwest. Cub 2 bounded off to the northeast. I waited about ten minutes to allow them their getaway. (It was blueberry season!) Peaked around the tree I was hiding behind. There was momma staring at me. She took off after the cubs.

Look anything like this?

5a572bf5-0d2a-4a82-811e-a288952d4881.jpg

2c7bfad2-4360-4764-b19f-7c6fde045cbc.jpg

a114d3c8-cacc-4c37-86a4-7a708a226fb9.jpg

He sure liked the licking the sweat from around my ears.

What a lucky sighting. I've been hoping to see a bear in the wild while geocaching and have cached deep in bear territory many, many, times...but no luck yet.

the problem it's not the baby it's always the mommy.

very nice moment for you.

I was just having this conversation with someone via email. I don't scare easily but bears will do the trick. I worry about running into a grizzly on the trail.

Since I cache alone and don't have someone to run slower than me, I always carry a jar of honey in hopes of making a friend :unsure:

(p.s. for those that don't know me, the honey part was joke)

In order to be as loud as I can, I make my dogs wear bells and I sing every so often. If you hear someone coming down the trail singing 'You are my sunshine,' it's me :anibad:

When I lived in Alaska we'd explain to the tourists that the bears are usually only agressive if you suprise them because they didn't hear you coming in time to run, or they had cubs near. So we'd tell them to wear bells on their shoes and carry pepper spray.

If you see bear scat on a trail you you could tell if it was a black bear by seeing undigested berries in it. You could tell it was a griz, by the bells and smell of pepper. :unsure:

When I lived in Alaska we'd explain to the tourists that the bears are usually only agressive if you suprise them because they didn't hear you coming in time to run, or they had cubs near. So we'd tell them to wear bells on their shoes and carry pepper spray.

If you see bear scat on a trail you you could tell if it was a black bear by seeing undigested berries in it. You could tell it was a griz, by the bells and smell of pepper. :unsure:

What about bell peppers? :lol:

Had it happen to us at this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Mr. P said my exact words when I first saw it were "There's a bear! Get out your camera!" Unfortunately by the time he got it turned on, the bear (who was trying to raid food from the campground in peace and was not very happy that we rained on his parade) was retreating. Another thing we would not have expereinced if it wasn't for geocaching!