Would this be appropriate?

otis89

I just solved a puzzle cache, but I usually do most of my caching with my brother, who has his own, separate account. He has not worked on or solved the puzzle to my knowledge. If he came along with me, would it be appropriate for him to log it as a find even though he didn't help at all with solving the puzzle? Thanks.

I'd say it's between you and your brother how he "solves" the puzzle. If he's along and signs the log, I say he can claim a find.

As a puzzle hider, it peeves me when people readily share the solution to my puzzles, but in the end, they're just missing out on the experience as I intended it to be. If they go find the cache, in the end, it's really not that important to me HOW they go there.

I had a guy stumble across the final of one of my more involved puzzles. Didn't bother me in the least that he signed the log and could claim an online smiley. If someone can find a final without the 6 stages of the multi, I think their find counts just as much....you sign the log, you claim the find in my book.

I don't mind when people do this on my puzzle caches because a lot of people don't like puzzles, so it's only a really puzzle cache for those that enjoy that sort of thing. I wish they would let people log puzzles that they didn't solve as traditionals. This option could be added in the dropdown box for mystery caches.

Sign log, get smiley. Go for it.

This is a bit off topic, but I have a question. What is the smiley for? Where are these logged?

The smiley is the symbol for 'found' when a cache is logged. You see these on the cache page and in your personal account logs.

If I'm caching with a group, the group will log the puzzle cache even though one will have solved the puzzle

Edited by arthurat

I just solved a puzzle cache, but I usually do most of my caching with my brother, who has his own, separate account. He has not worked on or solved the puzzle to my knowledge. If he came along with me, would it be appropriate for him to log it as a find even though he didn't help at all with solving the puzzle? Thanks.

I'll go along with what others have said, basically it's between you and your brother. If it makes you feel any better, lots of people log "finds" where they didn't do any of the actual work required to find it. some stay in the car and have a friend sign the log. Some tag along with a large group but let the others do all bushwacking. Some have other people solve puzzles for them.

In the end, there is no "winner", unless you are by having fun solving puzzles and finding caches!

Sign log, get smiley. Go for it.

Those are my thoughts on my few remaining puzzle caches. I could care less how you arrived at ground zero. You got there, ergo, you get a smiley, in my book. The one exception I've experienced was a fairly complex puzzle involving several different dynamics tied into one. After I solved it, (took me 4 months), I PM'ed a buddy of mine who is local to the cache and told him to start working on it so we could "find" it together. It took him all of 3 or 4 hours to reach the solution. Obviously, I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box. :unsure:

I would leave it up to your brother to determine if he feels okay logging the find without the work. W/ my caching buddy I am the puzzle nerd of the group so i get a lot of the puzzles solved, and he takes the find as well, but there tables have been turned at times. Usually what happens is I solve it and he finds it, literally.

Do what you want - it is a game after all.

Some CO's are really picky about people "cheating" on their puzzle caches. You're probably better explaining your case to the CO asking what they see as acceptible.

As a owner of many puzzle caches, in general, I don't mind other other cachers who didn't solve the puzzle to tag along. If the person leading the trip (the one that actually solved the puzzle) doesn't mind, then why should I be bugged by it?

Since you've solved the puzzle, it's easy enough for you to give your brother guidence and lots of hints on how to come up with the correct answer before you go out to find the physical cache. Thus, resulting in your cache partner knowing how to solve the puzzle now too.

So, go out and have a good day caching with your brother, and then bust his chops the whole time that he was too much of a dim-wit to solve the puzzle on his own and that he couldn't do it without your help! :unsure: