Free Northern New Jersey topographical maps?

Phil&Phil2008

You may be able to find some maps on the NJDEP website, look for WMA or State Parks, and you may find them on line. You can also find some through the Rutger Map Collection. You can order topo maps through the state. You can also buy the entire state in Atlas form through De Lorme, it is a rather detailed book. For Northern New Jersey you can buy maps through Rod Johnson Cartography and the New York New Jersey Trail Conference, both of which are without peer. Simply they are the best. Johnson uses National Geographic Topo Series as his base, the trail conference publishes their own.

Remember topo maps are not the equivalent of trail maps.

Expertgps has seamless topo maps for the whole country that you can print out and download/upload .loc and .gpx geocache waypoints onto. You can download it and use it free for 30 days or something but then you have to pay for it. I love it and I paid to unlock it.

expert gps

Edited by trowel32

If you are interested in the trail system, as well as terrain, the NYNJ Trail Conference produces excellent maps

of northern NJ. Unfortunately they only cover the most popular hiking areas. You can check their website under publications o see what is covered and what isn't. Oh, and they aren't free.

Also the USGS sells topo maps for a nominal fee, but they tend to be on the large side and a bit clumsy to use in the field.

Edited by briansnat

All of New JoiZs topographic maps are available online for free at the following webpage

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/njgs/geodata/dgs99-1.htm

The maps are black and white, no color.

Those are VERY OLD Maps...

I'd say at least pre 1965...

at least the Bernardsville map #49...

It says 1983 on the webpage,

but still shows the old Somerset Hills Airport in Basking Ridge...

and that was buldosed about 1970-1...

and there are lots of roads missing that were there in 1965...

That's when I first moved there...

The map does not show my house, which was built in 1960...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

All of New JoiZs topographic maps are available online for free at the following webpage

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/njgs/geodata/dgs99-1.htm

The maps are black and white, no color.

Those are VERY OLD Maps...

I'd say at least pre 1965...

at least the Bernardsville map #49...

It says 1983 on the webpage,

but still shows the old Somerset Hills Airport in Basking Ridge...

and that was buldosed about 1970-1...

and there are lots of roads missing that were there in 1965...

That's when I first moved there...

The map does not show my house, which was built in 1960...

Yeah, the Kinnelon map shows it to be mostly all woods. I wish it was still that way.

Edited by briansnat

Hm.. Thanks for the warning!

You just have to be aware that a lot of the open land shown is now new roads, condos, corporate parks, shopping centers, developments, etc...

It does not render the topo contour lines inacurate,

so just for an idea of the terrain in a specific area, for caching, they still will work just fine...

actually, with few exceptions (i.e. the Millington Quarry near us, the whole hill is now gone), the contour lines in my home area look pretty accurate...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors