Hey what happened to?

ThePetersTrio

Ok first a disclaimer. I'm preparing for my daughter's b-day party so maybe I'm missing something here but....

Wasn't there a thread here about new coins (CSI and License to Cache) from geocoinshop.de here only a few minutes ago?

I had asked a question to the OP about obtaining copyright that I really wanted answered.

:D

Ah...that explains it. But I do want answers to my question about copyright.

I had asked if the coinmaker had gotten authorization to use the CSI trademark (if it indeed is a trademark - maybe it's not). I have been thinking about a coin based on the Survivor logo but I assume I'd have to have permission from the show's producers.

Am I correct in this assumption?

Ah...that explains it. But I do want answers to my question about copyright.

I had asked if the coinmaker had gotten authorization to use the CSI trademark (if it indeed is a trademark - maybe it's not). I have been thinking about a coin based on the Survivor logo but I assume I'd have to have permission from the show's producers.

Am I correct in this assumption?

You mean because you may want to have the oval shape and have it have a thick stripe across the middle? or actually use their symbols ? :D

I would suggest contacting the owner of the trademarked image to ask for permission. Selling a coin (or anything for that matter) with somebody else's trademark is a quick way to get in trouble.

I wouldn't base your decision based on what you hear in here because I'm sure somebody will come in and say "just do it". Do you want to risk a potentially large fine based on word of mouth?

Ok first a disclaimer. I'm preparing for my daughter's b-day party so maybe I'm missing something here but....

Wasn't there a thread here about new coins (CSI and License to Cache) from geocoinshop.de here only a few minutes ago?

I had asked a question to the OP about obtaining copyright that I really wanted answered.

:D

I saw that thread too.

Probably deleted for some bogus reason regarding a "non direct link". :-)

I would not worry about the copyright unless you plan to make a lot of money from the design.

CSI is a job description first and a TV show second.... hardly copyrightable IMO.

Yes but the show does indeed have a recognizable logo with fingerprint:

csilogo.jpg

Very similar to the coin available at geocoinshop.de:

http://www.geocoinshop.de/product_info.php...muu257cgj7d9qp2

No coin is worth getting sued over. My inclination would be to get permission. I'm wondering if coins that have been minted that utilize copyrighted images have had permission granted from the legal owners of that image or logo? If not, I'm wondering how the people who actually make the coin get around the legal issue?