Poll: Do you use a GPS for geocaching?

ssgeo83

There are three "Rules" quoted several times above. Micros already break two of them. Make sure you sign the log. :o

I have found and left really cute swag in many micros. There are even geocoins made to fit in 35mm film cans (which are micros) and pathtags will fit in them or even slightly smaller containers.

As far as I know letterboxers do not use coordinates to find a cache. We both do. We're both geocachers.

They do here occassionally....they just use a map and compass when they've got the co-ords (or a GPS nowadays)

My point is, finding a geocache doesn't make you a geocacher (ask a muggle).

Using a GPS to find a cache makes you a geocacher....

Perhaps Jeremy should be made aware of your rule.

Ooh - have I touched a nerve?

I don't remember making any rules - just expressing my opinion.

If you'd like to turn my opinion into a rule, you're very welcome to do so - but I suspect you might have to find another site to do it on....

Ooh - have I touched a nerve?

I don't remember making any rules - just expressing my opinion.

If you'd like to turn my opinion into a rule, you're very welcome to do so - but I suspect you might have to find another site to do it on....

No problem then... Your opinion is fine with me as long as you are not trying to dictate how I geocache.

Do you personally use a GPS device for geocaching?
Yes, but I have done it without a GPS a couple of times to get FTFs.

I found my first 150 or so without a GPS. Most of the time it's not necessary to use one for urban caches, plus I hadn't really figured out how to use my GPS all that well yet. Once I started going for multi caches, puzzle caches and looking for ones out in the woods (what? Los Angeles has woods??) it's GPS or nothing. Still, some of the urban ones don't really require it, but I'd still say its easier with a GPS than without one.

I primarily use mine for deer hunting purposes,I used to use a compass solely but my Uncle planted the GPS seed and I cant even begin to list the uses I have for this unit.I often go cross country in areas that I hunt looking for natural funnels or pinch points, if you will, that might afford me with a good treestand location for bowhunting.The problem is that most of the great areas are far from any trail or road,and getting to and from in the dark proves difficult at best.Theres a state park here in NH that is for bowhunting only and is about 3500 acres,I have that area mapped out very well and about 12 treestand locations setup and the GPS makes it a snap to get to and from them in the dark.The longest one is about 1/2 mile,and the real problem starts when I shoot one at dusk,makes for a long hard drag out to the trail in the dark,then another 1/2 mile to the truck.But the taste of Venison makes It all worth while.

Do you personally use a GPS device for geocaching? Just wanted to see how many people use GPS and how many do not
I use a GPSr all the time but I have used it along side Google Earth and other applications that show me satellite images so we can pinpoint questionable locations. I can see how people could get by without one because when it comes right down to it you use your geosenses to actually find the cache, the GPSr (or whatever you use) only gets you close.

And Google Earth won't have you following a little red arrow reading "150-feet this way..... 100-feet this way... 50-feet this way.... 10 feet this way.... WAIT!!! 95-feet over in this other direction??? HUH???"... hehehe

Do you personally use a GPS device for geocaching?

Just wanted to see how many people use GPS and how many do not

Of course I use a GPSr to Geocache.

Do you use a tennis racket to play tennis? :rolleyes:

That's actually a great analogy, because you COULD play tennis without a tennis racket, it would just make it a lot harder on you. The same is true for geocaching, if you want to play without a GPS, you're just doing it the hard way.