puzzles

fu3zy

so i'm pretty new to geo-cacheing and i have always like solving puzzles. well imagine my delight when i found out that there are puzzle caches... and my bafflement and horror when i tried to solve them. so now i'm over my dis-illusionment at my inability to solve them and am here with humility to ask for pointers on solving them.

an little things to look for or try? i'd really appreiciate the help.

I'm not a puzzler other than your basic crossword or something like that. I can not begin to solve the vast majority of puzzle caches out there so I don't even look at them. It's frustrating not to be able to do them but...I just have to move on to caches I can actually go hunt for.

Personally, if I were ever to place a puzzle cache, I'd offer a "non-puzzler option" so everyone would have the opportunity to go for the cache and not just those who are good solving puzzles.

You need to start with the idea that it is going to be near you (or near the fake coordinates).

For instance, the puzzles I have done are in the 26 3x.xxx/-80 1x.xxx area. Knowing that the first character has to be a 2 and the second character has to be a 6 can narrow it down considerably.

Of course, some just make my head hurt (see GCNQ7K).

As others have stated, you want to start of with the easier ones and work up. I have solved many of the caches in my area but have not yet visited them. I work for the fire department, and when I have down time I try and figure out the puzzle caches since I can't go out and actually cache. This is the one I am currently working on that is just killing me, GC17Z0V.