Updating coords using a log

CANINE QUEEN

I searched the forums but didn't see the answer. I recently put out a new series and got several comments about the coords. being off. So, diligent owner that I am, I went back out and researched. Yes, a couple do need to be changed. I tried to change them with a log entry but even with only a .001 degrees change but keep getting an error message saying it is too far from the original and I need to contact the reviewer. What am I doing wrong? :D

I searched the forums but didn't see the answer. I recently put out a new series and got several comments about the coords. being off. So, diligent owner that I am, I went back out and researched. Yes, a couple do need to be changed. I tried to change them with a log entry but even with only a .001 degrees change but keep getting an error message saying it is too far from the original and I need to contact the reviewer. What am I doing wrong? :D

I don't know what .001 deg. translates to in feet but I do know that there is a limit as to how far you are allowed to move a cache without reviewer review. So it looks as though you moved it too many feet.

Edited by Team Cotati

I don't know what .001 deg. translates to in feet but I do know that there is a limit as to how far you are allowed to move a cache without reviewer review. So it looks as though you moved it too many feet.

I'm pretty sure it's about 5 feet... bit to the OP, why even change the coords? It's only 5 feet.... most GPS systems are only accurate to 10 feet anyway...

.001 degree isn't a minor change. It is (assuming latitude) 364 feet. You wouldn't have to go much over .001 degrees to be over the allowed (1/10th of a mile) limit.

As has already been suggested, follow the instructions and email your reviewer.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I am guessing that you are using the WGS84 datum. If this is true, then .001= 9.554 feet. at least according to my GPS. Tath is, if you are changing the N (or S) coords. If you change the W (or E) then it's only 5.83 feet. So, like I suggested earlier... there is no need to update them in the first place.

The OP said .001 DEGREES. Five or six feet is .001 MINUTES. Big difference.

Read the original post again, then look at the post by Prime Suspect.

The scale factor from .001 minutes to .001 degrees is 60.

Example: 6 feet times 60 = 360 feet

It is possible the OP did post incorrect information, but that has not been confirmed.

And on what planet could .001 minutes ever = 9.554 feet? Not this one.

I am guessing that you are using the WGS84 datum. If this is true, then .001= 9.554 feet. at least according to my GPS. Tath is, if you are changing the N (or S) coords. If you change the W (or E) then it's only 5.83 feet. So, like I suggested earlier... there is no need to update them in the first place.

We use Earth Math in these forums. :ph34r:

It is possible the OP did post incorrect information, but that has not been confirmed.

Ah ,I see the degrees part now. But as for the .001 minutes = 9.55 feet, that is what my GPS said. I entered two sets of of coords, off by .001 minutes. and it said the distance between them was 9.55 feet. I did not mean to add the "4" to the end, my finger bumped it. Sorry about that.

Ah ,I see the degrees part now. But as for the .001 minutes = 9.55 feet, that is what my GPS said. I entered two sets of of coords, off by .001 minutes. and it said the distance between them was 9.55 feet. I did not mean to add the "4" to the end, my finger bumped it. Sorry about that.

The only way you could get 9.6 feet, is if you changed both the latitude and longitude by .001 minutes. That, of course, would be wrong, because you're basically measuring the diagonal (in plane geometry terms), instead of the length.

Prime "Still owns a slide rule and knows how to use it" Suspect

Edited by Prime Suspect

I am surprised no one has aks the OP what she is entering in the corrected coordinates log. If she is trying to enter the amount to correct the coordinates by - for example, entering E 0° 0.001 to move the coordinates .001 minutes east of the what they are, instead of the entering the corrected coordinates, for example W 094° 16.620 in place of the original W 094° 16.621, she would be getting the error message she is seeing. Seems that arguing over number of feet in a thousandth of a minute is not solving the problem. If it's the cache I think it is, the finder says the coords are .01 minutes north of the posted coordinates so about 60 feet.

Edited by tozainamboku

The only way you could get 9.6 feet, is if you changed both the latitude and longitude by .001 minutes. That, of course, would be wrong, because you're basically measuring the diagonal (in plane geometry terms), instead of the length.

Prime "Still owns a slide rule and knows how to use it" Suspect

All I did was change one by .001. It gave me 9.6 feet. Don't ask me how or why, I'm just telling you what my GPS said. I do not claim any knowledge on the matter, you are probably correct.