Our First Geocaching Experience

Doodah Cachers

I just wanted to post and say that my wife and I are new, barely out of the shrinkwrap, geocachers. We got our Garmin Legend Hcx on Friday, and Saturday we went out and found two local caches. We are excited and can't wait for the weather to get better so we can plan some caching outings. I enjoy the website, and all the great discussions. I hope to be a contributor for a long time to come.

Welcome to the hobby, I've only been a geocacher for slightly less than a month myself, and I'm having a blast. I geocache with my kids and they enjoy it too. We are up to 43 finds, and have hidden 3 ourselves. It can be addicting.

Too bad the weather this weekend was -30C with the windshill, so we stayed indoors.

Happy Caching!

I love telling the story of my first find. I had a Garmin 12 with absolutely no mapping capabilities and didn't have a way to load the waypoints into the GPSr either. What I did was look at the map and found a place to park and I had written down the coords on a piece of scrap paper. I then went and watched the numbers go up and down as I walked in order to get the numbers to match.

About a year ago, I got a girl I was seeing interested in geocaching and decided to take her out. We laid out a set of caches and headed out. Her first cache would be the cache that was my first cache as well. We got there that day and realized the day we were there was 1 day before the 5th anniversary of my 1st cache find.

Welcome to the "game"!

I love telling the story of my first find. I had a Garmin 12 with absolutely no mapping capabilities and didn't have a way to load the waypoints into the GPSr either. What I did was look at the map and found a place to park and I had written down the coords on a piece of scrap paper. I then went and watched the numbers go up and down as I walked in order to get the numbers to match.

About a year ago, I got a girl I was seeing interested in geocaching and decided to take her out. We laid out a set of caches and headed out. Her first cache would be the cache that was my first cache as well. We got there that day and realized the day we were there was 1 day before the 5th anniversary of my 1st cache find.

Welcome to the "game"!

I remember my first fondly as well. After a DNF on a cache (which, as it turned out, was missing at the time) I walked a little further down the trail the the next waypoint in my GPS. While my wife and son were playing in a playground I went and found my first cache. Then I walked back to the playground and gave the GPS to my wife and she navigated to the cache and found it easily as well.

A few months later the owner of the cache posted an adoption request to the local cachers group mailing list and I jumped at the cache. So now I own the first cache I found. I have since adopted 8 others when a popular cacher left the area and have placed another 10 myself. My first placement is just across the road from where I live and as had a half dozen or so finders log it as *their* first cache.