Hiding caches underwater

There are several ways.

1. Hide a totally watertight container and hope it stays that way

2. Hide a container that isn't watertight, but it doesn't matter because the log is waterproof

3. Hide a waterproof tag or something similar underwater, with coordinates on it pointing to a

cache on dry land.

How does underwater cache hiding work? Have you ever found an underwater cache?

I found one in Hawai'i (Flint's Silver that was in an Otter Box container that was covered with a cement like epoxy and gravel and small rocks. It was tethered to the hide location so the tide doesn't take it.

I have one in the works. I am using a soda bottle pre-form that I set into a block of cement. I plan on tethering it as well. The pre-form should state water tight, seeing a a soda bottle is water tight.

How does underwater cache hiding work? Have you ever found an underwater cache?

I found one in Hawai'i (Flint's Silver that was in an Otter Box container that was covered with a cement like epoxy and gravel and small rocks. It was tethered to the hide location so the tide doesn't take it.

I have one in the works. I am using a soda bottle pre-form that I set into a block of cement. I plan on tethering it as well. The pre-form should state water tight, seeing a a soda bottle is water tight.

Reminds me of an experiment I did as a kid. The cold water caused condensation inside, and the paper got wet, smearing the writing. I'd be curious to see how yours turns out. The idea of an underwater cache sounds like fun.

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous

I've found a couple of underwater caches and have owned a couple.

If the cache is in shallow water such that it can be waded to, swum to or a shallow free dive for it, the container can be water tight, tethered to the bottom, or tethered to shore, with the expectation that it will be pulled to shore. It will fail eventually as the seal will degrade or get dirty. I'd assume that the contents will be wet immediately, regardless of the integrity of the container, just from handling. Swag should be items that will handle immersion.

Here's a free dive or snorkle cache GCJB2C - note that the contents are plastic items that won't be harmed by water, and the log is diver's slate. The intent is that it will stay "dryish" but it if gets wet, no harm done.

The deeper the dive, the better idea it is to use an open container. Don't trap air, which can mess with a diver's buoyancy and create a bad dive profile; needing to surface to open the container, then dive again to replace it. A diver's slate makes an acceptable log for an underwater cache.

Gold coins are waterproof and will remain essentially undamaged by water, even salt water, over time. The perfect swag....

We found one that was a waterproof container inside of a wire box that was anchored to the bottom of a shallow pond. There was a bouy to mark the spot. The clues were really cute questions that made perfect sense once you finally admitted to yourself that the cache was in the pond. There was a paddle boat on shore if you didn't want to wade out. The cache itself worked great, but there were continuing problems with the paddle boat not being left where it was supposed to be. You could have easily waded out, but the water was pretty 'icky'.

We have found a couple of these throughout the Adirondacks in Upstate, NY.

Some used projections from a point on shore - others had descriptions to get you there. Some were hidden in Nalgene containers, others required a crayon on a waterproof piece of paper anchored to the bottom.

The tricky part can be holding the apparatus while you sign and then getting it rehooked correctly - but, that's also the fun part.