Cache needs archiving

HopsMaltYeast

What action, if any, should you take if you think a cache should be archived?

I have e-mailed the owner - no response - and then logged a "needs maintenance" on the cache log.

It appears that the cache is missing for a year and was located on private property without permission. We got invited to leave the property when we went after someone saw us in the CZ - landscaped space in an apartment complex. Checked the past logs and someone else had the same problem.

Looked up the owner's profile and saw that they have found 16 caches and hidden 36. All but 3 or 4 of those 36 hidden caches have been archived some time ago - usually with logged complaints about lack of maintenance, etc. Appears they have logged no activity for several years.

GCKWE4 - "Pointe of View" linked here: Pointe of View

Thanks in advance

Copy and paste your information into an email to the local volunteer cache reviewer for the area.

More preicsly:

There are several instances when the posting of a "Should Be Archived" note is appropriate. Upon posting this type of log an email will immediately be sent to the cache owner and the local reviewer. Here are some situations that warrant a SBA note.

The cache should be archived immediately when:

There is a safety, law enforcement, trespassing or similar issue. Occasionally a cache is placed in a location that is considered inappropriate for safety reasons - schools, court houses, or airports among the most common.

Good luck and please do let us know what the reviewer has to say. :D

Edited by Team Cotati

Thanks for the answers and input.

So if I logged the sba it would by-pass the owner and archive the cache immediately? I guess someone would then be alerted to investigate either leave it archived or decide to reverse it?

Uhmmm, showing my ignorance - how do I find out who a local reviewer is and find there e-mail?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the answers and input.

So if I logged the sba it would by-pass the owner and archive the cache immediately? I guess someone would then be alerted to investigate either leave it archived or decide to reverse it?

Uhmmm, showing my ignorance - how do I find out who a local reviewer is and find there e-mail?

Thanks again.

When you post the SBA log, it gets sent to the local reviewer who will take the appropriate actions.

If you ever need to find out who the local reviewer is you can usually look at the first log of a cache. Some of the older caches may not show it but the newer caches will. Just scroll down to the first log and you should see a published log. You can contact the reviewer by clicking on that name and send them an email. The cache you are talking about is an older one that does not show this. Here is an example for you to look at. Just scroll down to the first log:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Edited by smithdk

What action, if any, should you take if you think a cache should be archived?

I have e-mailed the owner - no response - and then logged a "needs maintenance" on the cache log.

It appears that the cache is missing for a year and was located on private property without permission. We got invited to leave the property when we went after someone saw us in the CZ - landscaped space in an apartment complex. Checked the past logs and someone else had the same problem.

Looked up the owner's profile and saw that they have found 16 caches and hidden 36. All but 3 or 4 of those 36 hidden caches have been archived some time ago - usually with logged complaints about lack of maintenance, etc. Appears they have logged no activity for several years.

GCKWE4 - "Pointe of View" linked here: Pointe of View

Thanks in advance

You tried to contact the owner. Kudos. That was the first step. If after a reasonable amount of time they have not responded. Given the landowner issue I'd log an SBA log.

When you post the SBA log, it gets sent to the local reviewer who will take the appropriate actions.

I'm fairly sure that the reviewer isn't notified, they have to do something like look through a queue. If the cache needs immediate attention contact the reviewer directly.

If it's not an critical situation, after posting the SBA the reviewer may wait quite some time to allow the owner to respond. It's always best to post notes asking for status rather than emailing the owner directly so that the reviewer can see that it's been a on-going issue rather than a recent one.

I'm fairly sure that the reviewer isn't notified, they have to do something like look through a queue. If the cache needs immediate attention contact the reviewer directly.

I'm fairly sure (and by fairly, I mean 100% sure) that you're wrong and that e-mails get sent to us when "Needs Archived" logs go through. :D:D

If it's not an critical situation, after posting the SBA the reviewer may wait quite some time to allow the owner to respond. It's always best to post notes asking for status rather than emailing the owner directly so that the reviewer can see that it's been a on-going issue rather than a recent one.

I do agree 100% with this though!

I'm fairly sure (and by fairly, I mean 100% sure) that you're wrong and that e-mails get sent to us when "Needs Archived" logs go through. :D:D

Okay. Does it go to one particular reviewer only?

For information and clarification...

I logged a "Needs Archive" log for this specific cache.

There was not an instant archive of the cache log.

Soon after a reviewer logged a message and archived the cache. (maybe a few hours?) That is pretty dang fast and thanks to them for a rapid response.