Colorado 300 sporadically crashing (shutting off)

yogazoo

Every now and again when I'm scrolling through menus my Colorado 300 just shuts off. No reason, no rhyme, no provocation. It simply dies. Starts back up, but is troubling none the less. Anyone else have this happen?

The initial excitement of this new unit has worn off, now its just getting plain frustrating.

This is not intended to be condescending in any way, but have you tried changing the batteries? With a GPS it's hard to know when it's really working verses patiently updating the display so gauging when battery draw is peaking is difficult. Does it crash sooner with the backlight on?

Edited by ObeliskAG

This is not intended to be condescending in any way, but have you tried changing the batteries? With a GPS it's hard to know when it's really working verses patiently updating the display so gauging when battery draw is peaking is difficult. Does it crash sooner with the backlight on?

Um, yeah. Fresh Batteries. Strange behavior. The backlight was on high and I was scrolling through menus. Regardless of circumstance, with fresh batteries, this unit shouldn't just shutdown. We desperately need a firmware update to address the power management issues with the Colorado.

Related: I went for a walk wih freshly charged NIMH's (2500mah) and after an hour the backlight shut off and 15 minutes later the whole unit shut down. This, I'm afraid is unacceptable. I can't go for a walk with the backlight on without the darn thing turning off. Worthless.

My 60C shut off spontaneously as I was pressing buttons (scrolling through menus). As QuigleyJones mentioned, battery contacts were the culprit. Apparently pressing the buttons caused the case to expand/contract enough for the battery contacts to lose contact. I removed the batteries and gently pried them toward the inner battery compartment so they would make better contact with the batteries, and that solved the problem for me.

Edited by Neo_Geo

From my point of view, this is a powermamagement issue and has nothing to do with battery contact.

I have the same behaviour with my Colorado 300, which shuts down withou reason and in various situations.

Sometimes it is by pressing a button, somtimes by calculating a route, whatever...

After rebbot it works fine again for a while and then again...

It does not happen in my car with external power attached, so it must have to do with powermanagement running on batteries or it is a general issue

Every now and again when I'm scrolling through menus my Colorado 300 just shuts off. No reason, no rhyme, no provocation. It simply dies. Starts back up, but is troubling none the less. Anyone else have this happen?

The initial excitement of this new unit has worn off, now its just getting plain frustrating.

Mine did it 15 times today alone, sometimes it was a button press, sometimes rotating the track wheel, sometimes nothing. Back to the box it goes............

Mine did it 15 times today alone, sometimes it was a button press, sometimes rotating the track wheel, sometimes nothing. Back to the box it goes............

snomchfun, did you have Full backlight turned on?

snomchfun, did you have Full backlight turned on?

I tried with it off, full and half. I had brand new batteries as well..........

From Garmin Wikispaces:

2/8/08: Reports from several users that on some units pressing the Right Soft Key causes a reset. If you have this problem you should contact Garmin and request a return as it appears to be hardware related.

Thanks. That's exactly what I was going to do tomorrow.

I was having the same problem.

I called Garmin and they had me do a soft reset. Hold both soft keys and power up. You lose any profile stuff but maps and geocaches are ok. Well the problem was that my problem was intermittent. BUT since I did the reset..... no problems with intermittent crashing??