Palm M500 vs a Zine?

Folks, I have looked for something that would shed some light on this question, but have found nothing that tells me what I need to know.

I've been looking on Ebay for a used M500 at or near what I have determined is a reasonable price.

I got a call last night from a person that I know that is connected with another person that buys and sells used electronic equipment and related items. He said this person had recently gotten a lot that included some Zine PDAs and since he knew I was looking for a PDA called me to see if I was interested.

Not being familiar with a Zine, I'm trying to compare it with an M500 to see what would be the best deal regarding the features, etc. of each one. He has offered me a Zine at pretty much the price I had thought I would give for an M500.

All thoughts appreciated folks!!

There are many reports in these forums indicating great satisfaction with the M500. I do not know the Zine, but I have a Palm Z22. The screen of the Z22 is difficult to read in the sunlight and if I were to choose again I would go with the M500 as it apparently has better readability in bright light (this was also mentioned in the forums).

I use a Palm Z72 I acquired factory refurbuished off eBay for $90 including software (Cachemate) and shipping to Alaska. I like its photo capability (the photos are horrid low-res, but it beats no photos!) for those times where I want a photo record to jog my memory about cache finds. It's done well with Cachemate and doubles as an MP3 player for me on long flights to/from Alaska. It does have a screen that's hard to see in bright light... but it has made me tremendously effective at paperless caching and benchmark hunting. I can't imagine doing a road trip / multi-target mission without it!

Folks, I have looked for something that would shed some light on this question, but have found nothing that tells me what I need to know.

I've been looking on Ebay for a used M500 at or near what I have determined is a reasonable price.

I got a call last night from a person that I know that is connected with another person that buys and sells used electronic equipment and related items. He said this person had recently gotten a lot that included some Zine PDAs and since he knew I was looking for a PDA called me to see if I was interested.

Not being familiar with a Zine, I'm trying to compare it with an M500 to see what would be the best deal regarding the features, etc. of each one. He has offered me a Zine at pretty much the price I had thought I would give for an M500.

Are you sure you don't mean Zire? See specifications here.

Did you mean Palm ZIRE?

I use both a Palm 515 with GPS companion and a Zire for caching.

The 515 is older and slower but works great as a screen for the GPS companion when driving.

The Zire is newer and as such much faster but they do not have the universal connector. I use the unit with cachemate for paperless caching.

If you want the Palm for paperless caching I would go with the Zire. The big advantage over the 510 is that it is backlit and color. The 500 will be harder to read at night.

Team Sand Dollar

Pardon me!!!

I did mean Zire!!

carolnbarney, my suggestion would be if at all possible find someone locally that has these units and see if you can play with them some out in direct sunlight...to me, this is the most annoying aspect of handhelds.

Personally, I still take my laptop with me in the truck when I cache because I haven't found one that I am really pleased with for paperless caching.

In the rare case I'll be doing caches and want the info. mobile I'll text the pertinent ones to my phone.

If you want the Palm for paperless caching I would go with the Zire. The big advantage over the 515 is that it is backlit and color. The 500 will be harder to read at night.

Team Sand Dollar

Uhh, my 500 has a backlight that I can read just find in the dark. easily readable in high light, low light, no light etc.

My bases for this was using a m500 and a m515 with Topo USA and finding the 515 much easier to read at night. Using it just for text the back light on the 500 may be ok. the Zire is still easier to read at night.

On the other hand the zire I hard to read in direct sunlight.

TSD

My bases for this was using a m500 and a m515 with Topo USA and finding the 515 much easier to read at night. Using it just for text the back light on the 500 may be ok. the Zire is still easier to read at night.

On the other hand the zire I hard to read in direct sunlight.

TSD

I hate the Zire's or Z** series in sunlight....I know that from firsthand experience.

My question would be is the m500 or m515 REALLY that much better?

Edited by egami

I am talking about all of them...we support most of the models, if not all of them, here. Especially the monochrome versions...21/22, wouldn't drop a dime on those.

Seemed like maybe some of the color worked a little better in sunlight, but I still hear user complaints about glare/brightness.

If you want the Palm for paperless caching I would go with the Zire. The big advantage over the 510 is that it is backlit and color. The 500 will be harder to read at night.

Team Sand Dollar

Uhh, my 500 has a backlight that I can read just find in the dark. easily readable in high light, low light, no light etc.

I just wish the buttons were lit! :) But it is a great unit for paperless caching, especially for less than $20 delivered! :rolleyes:

I bought a Zire 21 from someone on the board. Worked really good. I could read it in the sunlight really good. Then I had it in my caching bag on the floor and my dog stepped on it and broke the screen. Ran out and bought a Z22. Hated it. Couldn't read it in sunlight. Especially with my transition lenses. Found another Zire 21 on ebay that wouldn't boot up. Replaced the broken screen and now I'm happy again. I'm keeping the Z22 around for a back up and to use at night.

My $.02. Your mileage my vary

xshooter