They won't log my coin

Scrubsjm

My 5 year old sent out a geocoin with the goal of traveling all 50 states. A generous cacher picked it up and took it with him on a month long geocaching vacation where it visited over 30 states. When he returned home he dropped it to continue on it's travels. It was picked up right away and the user noted in their log they took the coin but didn't log it. After a few weeks I emailed them to encourage them to log the coin and move it along, which they did. The next cacher picked it up, again noted they took the coin but didn't log it. It's been 5 months! I have been in touch with them via email repeatedly, they confirmed they have the coin, and would drop it soon. Nothings happened, I offered to send a SASE for them to return the coin to us. No, no they said no need for that give us your address and we'll send it to you, it's been 6 weeks since that interaction. I updated the geocoin's page today so at least it wouldn't show up in the cache it's still logged into and I edited the description to this

My coin My question is, am I trying to hard to get my coin moving again? It's my 5 year olds coin and she really wants to see it moving again. These cachers aren't newbie's and they have moved several other TB's and coins, I don't know what the problem is with mine. I'm trying not to hassle them to much I've probably only sent the 4-5 emails during the time they've had it, but it's been 5 months! They frequently log on to the site, even if they aren't caching in to the cold, so it shouldn't be to hard just to log the coin. Any other suggestions to nicely encourage them to move it along?

Thanks

Edited by Scrubsjm

Unfortunately it sounds like you've done all you can. I released a bug last year for a TB race.... someone picked it up in August and STILL HAS IT. I've emailed them a couple of times asking if they still had it and would they please get it moving as it was in a race and the last email No response. I offered to pay them to send it back to me. No response. I'm guessing my coin now is just going to stay in their hands or eventually they will put it back out. (Now this coin has been destroyed b/c I drilled a hole in it and put a traveler tag on it, so why they wouldn't just pass it on or drop it in something close to their house) Because of them, my coin that had to log miles until 12/31 pretty much had no chance of logging any miles after they got it and the race miles I had just stopped going up.

Whatcha gonna do? I used to get really upset over these things, but people are going to do what they're going to do.

Good Luck w/your son's bug, I hope they put it back out for him!

I have and have had the same issues and I've pretty much given up on being able to do anything about it.

One of my travel bugs has been stuck with someone since April. After countless e-mails with zero response, I logged on to their regional geocaching site to see if I could get a response. There was one geocacher that said they would e-mail him for me, and still, nothing.

It's irresponsible of them, yes. You and I would never do something like that, but some geocachers aren't as wonderful as the rest of us. Unfortunately, there's not much else we can do except, as slowdownracer said, keep your toes and fingers crossed. And maybe say a prayer to the geocaching gods.

One way to get a reaction is to mention how their actions are hurting your 5 y.o.

We, too, had a race going. One of the coins was dropped in a cache whose cover had been blown. Apparently in searching for it these cachers had attracted the attention of the "special needs" muggles hanging out nearby and got them to promise they wouldn't tell anyone about it. Not only did they bring attention to the cache but in dropping the coin they insured its demise. Because it was the 11 y.o.'s coin we appealled to their conscience and they offered to pay to have it replaced which is small consolation for losing the race but a very nice gesture all the same.

By far the best gesture was done by 007BigD who on hearing about the coin's loss sent HarryMoe a replacement with a WONDERFUL letter explaining he was from the Lost Coin Detective Division. Thanks Dave, that was really something....