Must Do New York City Caches?

intolerable

Hopefully, next month my wife and I will be in NYC to visit the Neue Gallerie, Metropolitan Museum of Art and a few other museums if we can squeeze them in. Its going to be a pretty short trip, just the weekend, but there's no way I can pass up the opportunity to hit a cache or two while there.

Was hoping might get some pointers to 'must do' caches in the area. I took a look at the pinned bookmarks thread but did see anything.

Any help appreciated!

Chris/intolerable

I'm not sure what are the "must-do" ones, but if you will be at the Metropolitan museum of Art, the museum itself is a virtual cache. Then there are a bunch in central park, but none so close as to make a very quick stop. But I'd start with the ones in central park because your GPSr will receive a better signal there.

The others that are more on the streets and avenues, well, your GPSr will often get terrible signal,a nd huge muggle activity. The upside is that many of these can be found suing only google maps and the hint, no GPSr required.

I'm not sure what are the "must-do" ones, but if you will be at the Metropolitan museum of Art, the museum itself is a virtual cache. Then there are a bunch in central park, but none so close as to make a very quick stop. But I'd start with the ones in central park because your GPSr will receive a better signal there.

The others that are more on the streets and avenues, well, your GPSr will often get terrible signal,a nd huge muggle activity. The upside is that many of these can be found suing only google maps and the hint, no GPSr required.

Thanks for the reply!

We hope to hit all the virtual in the park, plus the waymarks and at least a few of the traditionals, especially ones with trackables as I am hoping to swap a bunch from here. Just didn't know if there happened to be any really stand out caches in the area.

Hmm... Must do caches on Manhattan? Five Star New York, of course. That only took us a year to solve. :unsure: So, you might not want to tackle that on a weekend trip. Just about anything by East Village Family. Some great mystery caches in Central Park. Or Frank Farrington's View. Ubercache is the largest cache in the city. You could spend a few days just wandering about Central Park. And of course, you shouldn't miss our cache: Bear on the Loose (shameless plug!) :unsure:

Hmm... Must do caches on Manhattan? Five Star New York, of course. That only took us a year to solve. :unsure: So, you might not want to tackle that on a weekend trip. Just about anything by East Village Family. Some great mystery caches in Central Park. Or Frank Farrington's View. Ubercache is the largest cache in the city. You could spend a few days just wandering about Central Park. And of course, you shouldn't miss our cache: Bear on the Loose (shameless plug!) :unsure:

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think that if you're limited on time that you can get at least a good days caching from the park alone since you'll be at the Met anyway. Moving around the city can be a real pain.

We're not too concerned about moving around some. We will be spending one evening with family in Brooklyn and intend on heading to Bleeker St. at some point. We were there a few years ago didn't have any problem getting around using public transportation and by foot while doing an insane amount of stuff with the same time constraints... hopefully that hasn't changed :-)

Whenever I see this topic in the forums I always recommend THIS cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...16-e8fb2ed8cc49

Unfortunately, it is disabled right now. However, there is a much easier cache just 600 ft. from it (so you are not going "in vain") and if you go to these coordinates you will be amazed at what you see (we have not found it either yet!). Off the beaten tourist path (and about a 20 minute subway ride from Midtown), but still technically on Manhattan Island!

It's about as close as you'll get too seeing what the Big Apple looked like in the days of Henry Hudson (and appropriately, a bridge and parkway named for him are nearby, LOL!).

And if you go on a Saturday between 8am and 3pm there's a nice farmer's market at the park entrance. Enjoy and welcome to NY!

Whenever I see this topic in the forums I always recommend THIS cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...16-e8fb2ed8cc49

Unfortunately, it is disabled right now. However, there is a much easier cache just 600 ft. from it (so you are not going "in vain") and if you go to these coordinates you will be amazed at what you see (we have not found it either yet!). Off the beaten tourist path (and about a 20 minute subway ride from Midtown), but still technically on Manhattan Island!

It's about as close as you'll get too seeing what the Big Apple looked like in the days of Henry Hudson (and appropriately, a bridge and parkway named for him are nearby, LOL!).

And if you go on a Saturday between 8am and 3pm there's a nice farmer's market at the park entrance. Enjoy and welcome to NY!

Great! This looks like it may be fun visiting regardless of caching and this is an area I've never been to. Thanks!

Hmm... Must do caches on Manhattan? Five Star New York, of course. That only took us a year to solve.

Was this really that hard? I noted that Avroair said going between the waypoints took about 5 hours. That's not bad, but no idea if its difficult otherwise.

Yeah, it's difficult... it has had 17 finders in 4 years. :rolleyes:

But my Bryant Park Micro is a fun one.

Good coffee too. :)

A note, be careful in Central Park, avoid looking too much like a tourist and keep your wits about you.

As for the East Village Family caches they are a lot of fun! Bryant Park is fun, and there is another on on the other side of the library!

there is a virtual at Port Authority a few blocks away

I have done a few in the midtown area and they are all very fun.

Enjoy!

Wanted to thank everyone for suggestions and tips. It doesn't sound like my wife is terribly enthusiastic about caching too far away from Central Park, so unfortunately doesn't seem like we'll be able to visit some of the suggested caches.

But if you see a couple of tourists with a gpsr bumping into things near cache sites in and around Central Park this weekend, say 'hi', it might be us :-)