Is this an appropriate Meet and Greet?

Nochipra

I was thinking of doing a Meet and Greet Belated Birthday present to myself? You see, a couple days a week I play poker in this local amateur poker league that plays in some local restaurants/bars and I was thinking of combining two things I love, poker and geocaching. There is one place in particular that I am thinking of which is quite large but it's not really a family oriented place. They play two games on Tues nights there, one at 7pm. and one at around 10:30 pm and they usually have a good turnout (around 60 people aready). There is a restaurant that serves your typical kind of sports bar food and appetizers and it has couches where you can lounge and watch big screen tv's. I wanted to do a meet and greet at this location where my fellow geocachers could come and hang out and get into the game if they wanted. It's free and open to everyone who wants to join and if you get 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the tournaments you get a gift card for Walmart, a gas card and such. I think it could be a lot of fun but I don't really know if Groundspeak would approve it? Has anyone else done anything like this?

Read this section of the guidelines regarding events:

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

I'm guessing it would be a non starter if you promoted it as a poker night because the games are not set up by geocachers for geocachers. Now if it's just a gathering in a restaurant, I don't think you'll have a problem getting it published. It all depends on how you word the event page.

I suspect that you would also be able to have a geocaching event that also included poker playing as an activity.

I've attended an event that was a poker run, whereby all the cachers went to various hides to get poker cards. The best hand at the end of the day won.

I am willing to bet (pardon the pun) that the prize for the poker run was either "bragging rights" or some donated item like a Garmin T-shirt or a free GSAK subscription. If the event required each participant to "ante" $5.00 into a prize pot, it would not have been published.

This is an event in which I'd have zero interest, but others might like it. I would advise the OP to write to their reviewer or directly to Groundspeak to see if it's permissible.

I suspect that you would also be able to have a geocaching event that also included poker playing as an activity.

Isn't there sometimes a "Geocoin" Poker Tournament held at some of the GeoWoodstock events? That sounds like a great way to incorporate these two pastimes!

(D'oh... posted before I saw Alabama Rambler's post... but you get the idea!)

DCC

Edited by Driver Carries Cache