Caching is groups?

GeorgenHeather

My wfe and i have been caching about a month and we have found 18 caches and have hidden 7 we really enjoy this hobby. I have noticed that some people that go caching in my area will go with people that have found most caches in our area. The newer people are claiming they found 65 caches in one day i am inclined to think that they maybe were helping them a little too much. You would have to be pretty good to get 65 in one day unless they were all in the same area and thats hard to believe. I was just wanting some opinions on this

it would take the fun out of caching if you gave me too many hints or pointed me in the direction of the cache.

Edited by GeorgenHeather

Welcome to the Forums! B)

I don't care if people get help finding my caches as long as they sign the logs and I doubt if any other cache owners care what sort of help someone gets while they are on a "numbers run," as long as the finders sign their logs.

If you told these people they couldn't do what they are doing with their caching buddies, it would take the "fun" out of caching for them. B)

I dont care its doesnt effect me i was just thinking its not really worth doing if someone who has already found the cache tells you were its at. Numbers run? i assume they are just trying to run the number of finds up by people showing them were the caches are at. To each his own but if someone shows me where a cache is at i dont consider that a find. I think the hunt is the best part of caching.

It is well established as fact that at least one group found 240+ caches in 24 hours that none of them had visited before. Seems unlikely but it did happen. I personally have met one of the group.

I have seen a group grab 85 in just over 14 hours. Eyewitness to that one. It can be done with good planning and the will to make it happen.

I think groups hunts would be fine if you into that as long as no one with you has found the cache before.

When you hunt in groups do they let everyone find it theirself or whoever finds it first shows everyone

and they all sign the log book. We (wife and me) search together and only log it as one find cause we are a team. I am in no way against group hunting or people helping others(giving hints) but i think some people

that show others exactly were the caches are is spoiling this hobby. I dont see any fun in just running around

and signing logs and not doing the actual hunt.

Edited by GeorgenHeather

Last week I found 5 caches in well under an hour. That included bypassing another 4. Had we stopped at all, I probably could have found 8 or 9 in that hour. Oh and I'm on crutches. If I had two good legs we could have done even more.

Project 8 caches an hour over a full day of caching and you reach 65 easily.

If you plan thoroughly and have a driver you can probably reach 10 or 11 caches an hour. People have found well over 200 caches in a 24 hour period using that method. Of course it has to be an cache rich area with a plethora of easy drive ups, but there are a number of places where you can do that.

I think groups hunts would be fine if you into that as long as no one with you has found the cache before.

I've been on a number of group hunts where either I, or other members of the group had previously found some of the caches. Having someone there who already found it is by no means beneficial, unless you think having someone making jokes at your expense while you are frustrated and coming up empty is beneficial.

When you hunt in groups do they let everyone find it theirself or whoever finds it first shows everyone

I've seen it done both ways. The way I look at it, if a group of us are searching, we are doing so as a team, so I see no problem logging a find if a team member is the one who actually uncovers the cache. No different than when I'm hunting with my wife or family.

Now for someone who is just tagging along and isn't involved in the hunt logging the find, that's not something I'd be comfortable with, but it's that person's business. If he is comfortable with logging the find, who am I to tell him not to?

...but i think some people

that show others exactly were the caches are is spoiling this hobby.

I'm not sure why you think this is happening. I've never seen it happen during any of the many group hunts I've been involved with. Has it ever happened? Probably, but I don't think it's common.

Edited by briansnat

If I was to go with a group, I would ask that those who have found the cache before stand back and let the rest of us look foolish without their help. There is no fun in having someone hand you a log you never looked for, nor any pride in the find. But then, I am not one of those "numbers anal" folks.

Just attended the Vancouver cache machine. The first 20 or so caches, when we pulled up, there were 20 people standing at the cache location signing the log book. Sort of eliminated the thrill of the hunt :rolleyes: Also, when it's a micro cache with a tiny log, should all 80-90 people sign the logbook, filling it up and requiring maintenance, or is it ok to just sign once for the group?

Attending the event sure opened my eyes to the world of number hounds ;) After we got away from the group, I had a lot of fun though.

Just attended the Vancouver cache machine. The first 20 or so caches, when we pulled up, there were 20 people standing at the cache location signing the log book. Sort of eliminated the thrill of the hunt :rolleyes: Also, when it's a micro cache with a tiny log, should all 80-90 people sign the logbook, filling it up and requiring maintenance, or is it ok to just sign once for the group?

Attending the event sure opened my eyes to the world of number hounds ;) After we got away from the group, I had a lot of fun though.

I really dont see why they want to rack up numbers so fast its not like you get paid or anything. I like the thrill of the hunt and the find. If you dont find it yourself all you are doing is writing on paper no real thrill in that . I

think we have some posers caching in the world. PLEASE PEOPLE FIND THE CACHE YOUSELF AND DONT TAKE CREDIT FOR SOMEONES ELSE'S FIND !

I really dont see why they want to rack up numbers so fast its not like you get paid or anything. I like the thrill of the hunt and the find. If you dont find it yourself all you are doing is writing on paper no real thrill in that . I

think we have some posers caching in the world. PLEASE PEOPLE FIND THE CACHE YOUSELF AND DONT TAKE CREDIT FOR SOMEONES ELSE'S FIND !

I personally don't get it either, but if someone else is comfortable doing it, I would waste a second worrying about it.

Just attended the Vancouver cache machine. The first 20 or so caches, when we pulled up, there were 20 people standing at the cache location signing the log book. Sort of eliminated the thrill of the hunt ;) Also, when it's a micro cache with a tiny log, should all 80-90 people sign the logbook, filling it up and requiring maintenance, or is it ok to just sign once for the group?

Attending the event sure opened my eyes to the world of number hounds :huh: After we got away from the group, I had a lot of fun though.

:P

Some of the most fun days I have had caching has been with a group of people. Sometimes it is just a few other friends, other times it is a large group. In some cases, if one of us finds the cache first, we will let the others find it themselves, other times, especially when I am with a large group, we sign the log after one person makes the find. Waiting for each person in a group of twelve to individually find the cache would take the fun out of that day's hunt . . . and one time that would have made us very late for the Event picnic. :rolleyes:

Last Monday, I revisited a group of incredibly-fun caches for the fourth time. I did not give away the hides. It was fun watching my companions figure out the caches so they could enjoy them the way I did when I found them the first time. :D

However, if they needed a little "hot/cold" hint, I would have given those hints. What's the harm in that . . . ? ;)

Getting 65 in a day does not necessarily mean they got help, but it helps.

If you really want to go on numbers runs there are methods of maximizing your return in only going for 1/1 caches and so on.

I've gone caching with groups. In many cases I was the one to make the find of a particularily devious hide.

No longer being a Premium Member I've even gone to Members Only caches along with a group and used the sanctioned logging method to log that find. Is handing oout a printout of a Premium Members Only cache to any old cacher against the TOU? Well actually someone read off the coords outloud...

I've also gone to some puzzle caches along with a group, but before logging I made the effort to solve the puzzle. In the few cases of that the puzzle was a no brainer anyway.

Different people get different things out of geocaching. Some want to see new places, some neat sights, some seem to enjoy watching the numbers meter grow (can't explain why, but it seems to be true), and so on. Its very difficult to control how other people do things, it's probably a lot easier to just realize people will do things in whatever way they want and watch with amusment.

I've never been a numbers hound and definitely enjoy trying for the challenging, nice location, and more thought out caches. But, i do love caching with other people and we have ended up averaging day caching trips about every other week for the past several months. Alot of times we'll each take our turns finding the cache but there have been times when that didn't work out either. We sure don't sweat it any as the main thing for us is that we did find the cache and sign the log.

Like i say, i don't usually go for numbers but we did just recently, for the fun of it, decide to see how many we could get in a day. Our day was only around 10 hours i think but we managed to grab 100 without any problem. This was in a cache rich area that none of us had been to before. We had a great time but i will say now that i don't think we will want to go on a numbers run like that again anytime soon! :(

If I was to go with a group, I would ask that those who have found the cache before stand back and let the rest of us look foolish without their help. There is no fun in having someone hand you a log you never looked for, nor any pride in the find. But then, I am not one of those "numbers anal" folks.

22 is the largest group I've cached with. We did the "let everybody find it before pulling it out and signing the log". Of course on a few it would take too long and people would offer hints. On one they would narrow the search field for us , but us last four just couldn't find it. Finally got down to a 2x2 area, still couldn't find it! Finally they are like, 'Pick up the log!'

Oh, there it is. :(

I have no problem searching with another person and letting them make the find, or vice-versa. Especially when I'm caching with my five year old.