Forum posters

trainlove

Click the link at the *bottom* of the main forum index page for the Top 10 and Today's Top 10 poster lists. The Today's Top 10 link takes you to this page. The fourth column lists how many posts the top users made today, and the fifth column shows that as a percentage of today's total forum posts.

Cool yes, but jusst how many a day did someone like:

briansnat, or Renegade Knight, or Miragee or Jeremy

post on their most prolific day.

How does that compare to the 38 that is today's highest number of posts by one person at this point in time?

How does that compare to the 38 that is today's highest number of posts by one person at this point in time?

And what value would this information serve? Very much like GC.com # of find stats, it would only reflect how much spare time they had to spend here on the forums.

And what value would this information serve? Very much like GC.com # of find stats, it would only reflect how much spare time they had to spend here on the forums.

If I saw someone with 10,000 forum posts as opposed to 5 forum posts, it would certainly mean a lot to me. It would mean that they probably understand how the forum works would probably mean they are a contributor to the geocaching community...

Just like how a high number of finds indicates your level of experience and the number of hides indicates that you are a contributor to the geocaching community.

If I saw someone with 10,000 forum posts as opposed to 5 forum posts, it would certainly mean a lot to me. It would mean that they probably understand how the forum works would probably mean they are a contributor to the geocaching community...

Just like how a high number of finds indicates your level of experience and the number of hides indicates that you are a contributor to the geocaching community.

Your looking at the overall numbers which is not necessarily a good indicator. I guess my total finds example wasn't the best. Maybe I could use the example of the most finds in a day during the Geowoodstock event in TX. :(

The original statement inquired about the most posts in a day. There is little value in knowing who was away from the forums for 2 weeks then made 200 posts the day they got back.

Your looking at the overall numbers which is not necessarily a good indicator. I guess my total finds example wasn't the best. Maybe I could use the example of the most finds in a day during the Geowoodstock event in TX. :(

The original statement inquired about the most posts in a day. There is little value in knowing who was away from the forums for 2 weeks then made 200 posts the day they got back.

It's kinda fun to know that somedays, out of 1000's of people, that I was the most annoying poster of the day. Did I say that out loud?

But like cache numbers they need to be 'taken with grain of salt'

That is to say is say quantity and quality need to be compared for the best picture.

Otherwise a huge number of posts just could be silly nonsense that doesn't really help anyone.

See what I'm saying?

Took nothing left nothing posted to forum

thanks for the posts ;):(:D

Some people could stare at the screen all day and never have a single thing to add. A lot of peole lurk. That would be a cool stat. I've met more than a few people who have never posted anything but knew what's what in the forums.

What value does the info serve? If nothing else it's something for the curious.

...Your looking at the overall numbers which is not necessarily a good indicator. I guess my total finds example wasn't the best. Maybe I could use the example of the most finds in a day during the Geowoodstock event in TX. :(

A post count is an indicator. An indicator is something to factor in. Is someone with 2000 posts willing to help a newbie in a forum? I'd say it's more likely than someone with 2 posts, or a lurker who never posts. It's a clue, useful within it's limits, but it's the bigger picture of each situation that sets the limits.

When you argue that it's not useful, that may just mean you are not good at thinking up uses, or that you don't even pay attention to how you use the count.

I watch it change over time. Big posters on the daily section come and go. Some don't. It doesn't include Off Topic (to the best of my knowledge) which would skew the whole dynamic.