Getting Permission to place a cache

AllieCat13

OK, I think I'm ready to place a couple caches. There are a few here where I live and I know of a couple great places that have a lot of history behind them. One is a road side rest area here in Ohio. Who do I seek permission from for this? I noticed some at the rest areas on Interstate 70 and that gave me the idea for this one. Also, along the roadway, there is a pull off and guardrail along with an Ohio Historical sign about the area. Who would you get permission to place something like a micro on the guardrail?

Thanks for any help!!

OK, I think I'm ready to place a couple caches. There are a few here where I live and I know of a couple great places that have a lot of history behind them. One is a road side rest area here in Ohio. Who do I seek permission from for this? I noticed some at the rest areas on Interstate 70 and that gave me the idea for this one. Also, along the roadway, there is a pull off and guardrail along with an Ohio Historical sign about the area. Who would you get permission to place something like a micro on the guardrail?

Thanks for any help!!

I don't know the specific answer to your question but I know state geocaching organizations can be a really big help in finding out who you need to contact to get permission from different areas. I know okic.org (Ohio, Kentucky,Indiana cachers) has information for parks in Ohio, they might be able to get you in touch with the people you need for your specific areas.

If there is a micro hidden on a guardrail anywhere in this country that has permission of whomever is responsible for that guardrail, I would be very surprised.

Also, I know you didn't ask my opinion, but guardrail hides are probably the most over used type of cache.

If you try to do something more original, I'm sure you'll get some appreciative logs.

Edited by briansnat

Thanks for any help!!

If I were trying to get usage permission for any structure or land relating to the public roadways of the state of Ohio, I'd likely start here:

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/info/districtdirectory.asp

Good luck. :unsure::D:lol:

Because the statement was "I personally think permission is only necessary when placing a cache on private property. In theory, public property is yours, so you could ask yourself for permission I suppose" without any qualification. When you pose a slippery slope, you can't decide that there are points on it.

If the statement is presumed to be true, and if it's also true that The White House is public property, then by that logic, you would also not think that permission would be needed to place one at The White House.

I only posed the question to show that sometimes people's perception of what they should be allowed to do and what they actually can do on that property may not be the same.

Just for the sake of argument, then, do you think that people should be able to place caches without permission at The White House?

If we can't place one under a bridge, why would we be able to at the White House? :)

Good point. Perhaps part of the reason is that the white house is not a bridge? Who knows. :D:):P

If there is a micro hidden on a guardrail anywhere in this country that has permission of whomever is responsible for that guardrail, I would be very surprised.

Also, I know you didn't ask my opinion, but guardrail hides are probably the most over used type of cache.

If you try to do something more original, I'm sure you'll get some appreciative logs.

The guardrail thing was just because I was curious. LOL. I'm pretty new to this and since I'm doing it with all 4 of my kids, I learned fast that micros were not as much fun. B) I don't mind them so much if I only 1 kid. But anyhow, I wasn't going to place a micro on a guard rail. I'm going to go check the 2 places I have in mind out and work on getting some of the history ready but first, I have a couple caches to find today. ;)

THANKS for the help everyone!

Just from judging from your finds, you appear to be in North East Ohio.

The local GeoCaching club is: www.neogeocachers.com - north east ohio geocachers.

A few postes there should get you started.

Yes, I'm from North East Ohio sort of... Jefferson Cty. Not sure how north we are. lol.

Thanks for that link. I will check it out.