To put it simply?

Lord Humble

Long winded....

Go to the cache page of the cache you found and on the right hand side there is an inventory of all the travellers in the cache. Click on the coin you picked up and it will take you to that traveller's page. On the page will be the information about the coin, who owns it and what its mission is. On the upper right on the coins page click "found it ? log it!". You will need to enter the tracking number (which is on the coin) and then write a message. Now the coin is in your inventory until you move it to another cache. You can also upload pictures to the log (if you're so inclined) but if you do, DO NOT show the coin's tracking number!

When you place the coin in a new cache and log that cache online, look at the bottom of the log screen. There will be a box that shows the coins in your inventory and you can select the coin and 'drop' it into the cache's inventory online.

It's also a good idea to note that you took the coin in the cache log from which you took it and to note it in the log for the cache you dropped it in.

Now that I've totally confused you go to this link Trackable Items for help!

Happy New Year!

OK. So the wife and I go out and do our first hunt. We find a coin and the directions on what to do with it are not that clear to this newbie. Can someone help me out?

They pretty much explained it.. however... Welcome to Caching and the Geocoin Obsession! <_<

~J

Yes, to add to CinemaBoxers answer ...

This is how it started for me. I found one innocent geocoin and it became an obsession :P

Now I browse eBay looking at geocoins till late in the night and checking geocoin websites twice a day.

The only thing equal to finding a really cool geocoin is setting one of your own free to see where it may go into the world.

Edited by Boogus
OK. So the wife and I go out and do our first hunt. We find a coin and the directions on what to do with it are not that clear to this newbie. Can someone help me out?

They pretty much explained it.. however... Welcome to Caching and the Geocoin Obsession! <_<

~J

Oh boy, are you in for it now!!! :P

I went back to the cache page from which it came and logged it taken. Only the coin had no numbers but only six letters.

The tracking "number" can consist of numbers and letters. You can check it out: just visit http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=xxxxxx (insert tracking number instead of x's). If the coin's page comes up, you've got the right number. Then log it there with the logtype "Retrieve from .....".

~J

Oh boy, are you in for it now!!! :P

Yeah, You might find that you want to buy a coin of your own. Then one leads to hundreds :P

I went back to the cache page from which it came and logged it taken. Only the coin had no numbers but only six letters.

The tracking "number" can consist of numbers and letters. You can check it out: just visit http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=xxxxxx (insert tracking number instead of x's). If the coin's page comes up, you've got the right number. Then log it there with the logtype "Retrieve from .....".

That was it. Six letters. No number. New coin. It's first location seems to be where I got it from.

Checked out your logs.

-A minor point : you don't need to encrypt your cache log unless you will "spoil" the cache's location.

-A major point : go back to the coin log and change from "discovered" to "retrieved"! If you only discover the coin it will not log it's miles traveled properly.

I know this all seems confusing at first but it gets much easier with time! BTW try not to hang on to that coin for more than a couple of weeks without placing it in another cache...

Welcome to geocaching! and have FUN :)