A little help please folks

sonatellas

Hi I have asked some peeps by email this question but hopefully someone else can help to. I have searched the forum on this and have found some other people have had the same problem but I can't find the outcome. Ok here goes: I have got a really lovely jubbly MIO550 and have managed to get the Tom tom working etc. But when I load on Memory Map I seem to lose my GPS working in Tom tom. I have checked my settings are as recomended by other cachers but just can't seem to get both programs working together which is really annoying me. I have had to put back to factory settings which is distressing as my games have to be reloaded and I have lost my very important high scores. (GOING TO TAKE MUCH GAME PLAY TO GET THAT BACK LOL) Anyway what I am asking for is a step by step that has worked for someone and how they did it. Not too much to ask in 2008!! lol. When I finally find out I promise to do a new step by step telling how I did it. I would like to add that this little machine is great. It is not only a GPS it is an MP3 player a great organiser, I pick up my emails and surf on it and play games. I use it in work to organise my day and I am in no way slating this baby just having a teething problem with it. I would not part with it for anything. Over to you..........

I think you may need something called a "port splitter". I don't need one because my Orbit effectively comes with one built in, but if no-one else can be more explicit about your machine then a google on port splitter might get you somewhere.

Edited to say I've just reread your post and may have misunderstood it. I thought you meant you couldn't get them both working at the same time, and for that you might need a port splitter. If you mean they won't co-exist on the machine at all, then I've no idea, sorry.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

In my experience (HP Ipaq 2210) you need to run something such as GPSGate to allow two programs access to the GPS port at the same time. This involves setting up a new virtual port which you tell Tomtom and Memory-Map to use. You have to configure GPSGate to look at whichever ports TomTom and MM use (they probably use different ports).

The latest version of GPSGate is easy to use and is pretty cheap. I'd wait for confirmation from someone else that this is necessary with your MIO, but it might do the trick - it did for me. (EDIT to add that this allows both programs to run simultaneously and you can assign also hot keys to launch each program and instantly flick between them)

Happy New year!

Edited by Stuey

:P:P<_< Thanks for all that advice. I am going to be busy today!!! I will let you all know how I get on. Still loving my Mio550.

Ignoring the other problem I have with my P550 at the moment...... When it was working properly I used GPS Gate (Franson) to create a virtual comm port which any application could then access. In Mem Map for example you set the GPS port as the one created in GPS Gate. Same for TT or anything else you use. It works fine.

I've just had mine back from repair (I broke the screen) and now seem to have an internal fault which causes the GPS to send an intermittent signal! Irritating!

Chris

I use Memory Map, Tom Tom and Cachmate on my P550. they all happily run at the same time using a virtual port controlled by GPSGate.

Settings:

GPSGate: Input COM2. Output virtual Port 9.

Tom Tom:

GPS RECIEVER: Other NMEA receiver.

GPS baud rate: 4800

Port: Virtual 9

Mem Map:

Manufacturer: NMEA

Port: virtual Com9

Baud: 4800

CacheMate:

Port: Virtual 9

Baud: 4800

It is possible to share the GPS connection using WM5 but I couldn't get it to work satisfactorily for me.

I must add that I love my P550 and would be lost without it (no pun intended!)

Edited to add.

Check that your P550 GPS settings are set to Com 2 Baud 4800 for hardware port and that the manage GPS automatically box is unticked.

Edited by BlazingOtters