What makes for a successful San Diego cache?

figtreesky

I'm pretty new to the sport. I started caching consistently this month, and I've been trying to get most of the caches in my area. But, for some caches, I wonder "what is the point of that?" or "Why is there a cache here?"

Is location an indicator of success or failure? Does a successful cache take you to a spot you may not have been before that is also interesting? And conversely, does a cache that does not take someone to an interesting spot not considered a success? This was my initial indication of what I thought a successful cache would be. I placed my first cache near my house in La Mesa. I'm actually kind of embarrassed by

my first cache. I placed it close to my house in La Mesa, thinking it would be easy to maintain that way, but it's not very creative or interesting. Other than being a little larger than others, there's nothing that distinguishes it from other caches in the area. I thought my second cache I placed (with permission) in Cuyamaca Ranch State Park would be more "successful"

I am proud of my second cache. It's like my baby. It has great swag, awesome location, interesting route to get to, takes some research to get to. But... no one has found it yet. I'm kind of dismayed. If success were indicated by the numbers of people visiting, then this cache would be a resounding failure, but my La Mesa cache would ironically be considered more successful by far.

Is a good cache meant to be challenging or easy? Are "good" and "successful" subjective upon the cacher? I had plans to place more caches in areas that I considered interesting and which are usually farther away from the city, but does that make them better or worse caches?

A cache is successful if it gives you joy.

Do you enjoy getting logs from the first cache? If so it is successful.

Will you enjoy getting logs from the second cache even if infrequent? If so it is successful.

Personally I would like the second cache because I like awesome locations and great hikes. But on some days I also enjoy driving up to a park and grab at a local historical location.

I'm pretty new to the sport. I started caching consistently this month, and I've been trying to get most of the caches in my area. But, for some caches, I wonder "what is the point of that?" or "Why is there a cache here?"

Is location an indicator of success or failure? Does a successful cache take you to a spot you may not have been before that is also interesting? And conversely, does a cache that does not take someone to an interesting spot not considered a success? This was my initial indication of what I thought a successful cache would be. I placed my first cache near my house in La Mesa. I'm actually kind of embarrassed by

my first cache. I placed it close to my house in La Mesa, thinking it would be easy to maintain that way, but it's not very creative or interesting. Other than being a little larger than others, there's nothing that distinguishes it from other caches in the area. I thought my second cache I placed (with permission) in Cuyamaca Ranch State Park would be more "successful"

I am proud of my second cache. It's like my baby. It has great swag, awesome location, interesting route to get to, takes some research to get to. But... no one has found it yet. I'm kind of dismayed. If success were indicated by the numbers of people visiting, then this cache would be a resounding failure, but my La Mesa cache would ironically be considered more successful by far.

Is a good cache meant to be challenging or easy? Are "good" and "successful" subjective upon the cacher? I had plans to place more caches in areas that I considered interesting and which are usually farther away from the city, but does that make them better or worse caches?

Asking questions that have no reply, all of us have struggled with this issue time and again. There are more opinions than there are Geocachers and every opinion is correct for somebody I'm quite sure.

Like most things in life Geocaches fit a Bell Curve, a few really bad hides and a few really terrific hides and a huge bunch of ordinary hides in the middle class. One thing for sure, old hands with the huge find counts count their blessingss when new hides appear no matter what nor where. Hiders are what keeps things rolling.

Just keep at it and you'll start seeing some really interesting and/or informative caches that impress you and motivate you to improve your hides. Take time to discover the local favorite-cache lists.

Back-country caches are naturally more active during favorable weather and also stay pretty quiet during family holidays. Early on in this activity there were far fewer hides but they were usually located in interesting places. Now with the number of hides in this area there's few places of interest that are not already featured by a related Geocache.

Make sure to show up at local Geocacher events to meet the local crowd. They are full of ideas that they haven't made use of. One thing for sure, just keep searching and keep hiding. Welcome to our community of San Diego Geocachers. Feel free to use the San Diego Forum threads by the way.

Harmon,

SD Rowdies and

Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies

First of all, allow me to say that I am impressed you are even thinking along these lines and I wish everyone that hides a cache had this level of concern.

I think if you are going to enjoy the game for a long time one of the keys is to be true yourself and the standards for hiding caches that you have set for yourself. I suggest hiding the types of caches that you like to find and each time you find one of those, ask yourself; "what is it about this cache that made it worth finding?" This will help you refine your standards and ensure your personal satisfaction with the game.

There is not any single answer to this question. There are so many personalities involved in this sport and every one of us likes different things. That's one the great things about this sport -- there is a little something for everyone. But since I cannot answer for everyone, here are a few things that make for a successful cache from my perspective.

1) A cache that takes me to an interesting place that I've never been. The key word is "interesting". From my perspective, this means a place that is pretty, a place that is historically significant or a place that is, in some way unique.

2) A cache that challenges me intellectually (without becoming needlessly frustrating). This can be a puzzle cache or cleverly cammo'd micro. I'm particularly fond of caches that are hidden out in the open.

3) A cache that is unique in some way. DAK Girls caches are good examples. Caches that make clever use of technology fall into this category as well.

4) A cache that makes me laugh.

Examples of all of the above kinds of caches can be found on my "LLOT's Favorite Flavors" Bookmark list.

OK, so now here are a few things that, IMHO, make a cache less than successful.

1) Same ol', same ol'. Just how many caches hidden under lamp post covers does the world need? Really?

2) Caches that are needlessly frustrating. Yes, it is a challenge to find a fake rock amongst forty thousand real rocks. But so what? Maybe it's just me but I don't care for needles in haystacks.

3) Caches whose main challenge is "muggle avoidance". I've got better things to do than to wait 3 hours or come back 46 times in order to get retrieve/replace a cache without tipping its presence to muggles. (This is, IMHO, a special category of needless frustrating.)

4) Caches in unappealing places. Is it really necessary to put a cache on a dumpster behind Walmart? Or where homeless people defecate? Believe it or not, people do place caches in these locations.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

<snip>

I'm really glad you are asking this question, but as LLOT says, there is no set answer to the question. :blink:

For me, a truly "successful" cache challenges me physically and takes me to an awsome view. Probably my two most favorite cache adventures have been getting to Bell Bluff and Long Valley Peak 4,906'. B)

Those caches will have very few visitors, but they are awesome adventures, and very "successful," in my eyes.

I tried to have a "purpose" for each of the caches I placed. Even the one LPC I own had a purpose when I placed it . . . I had injured my knee and was limited to finding caches with a '1' Terrain rating. When I was physically limited, a "successful" cache was one I could get to that didn't take me to a dumpster, dump, or homeless encampment. Oh . . . and since I have way too many DNFs, a "successful" cache is often simply one I can find . . . B)

<snip>

</snip>

There are 4 cachers that have placed your cache on their watchlist - somebody is bound to get out there for the FTF soon. :blink:

These 2 caches were out for 9 months before they were found and they were log-only micros - still great caches though! B)

little caves falls

Cool Slot

We would agree with much of the advice above, and would boil it down to "caches that make a memory". By that we mean will you remember going after this cache. Some of our foundest memories don't involve the locale, but do involve an unusual placement (upside down in a tree, under a drainage manhole) or inspiring camo (rusty tin can litter, red magnetic tube on fire aparatus). As you start to place a cache, ask yourself, what experience will cacher have finding this? If it is frustration, anger, despair, etc, you might want to mention that in the description (so some can avoid it).

I had plans to grab your cache on the way to the Squeeze event this past Saturday, but I decided to not be a stanger and instead participated in the breakfast pre-event in Ramona. I then had hopes of stopping by on the way home, but I gorged myself on hot dogs and hamburgers at the post-event barbeque that I was not looking forward to the turns up Banner grade, then more of the same down the 79.

I will admit that, in the back of my mind, I had some hesitation going after a new cache by a new hider. I was in the Lagunas a couple of weeks ago and DNF'ed The The Remote Rossiter Cache. It's the first hide for that cacher, and it appears his coords are off; another cacher DNF'ed.

BTW, I am not one of the watchers.

Generally, the urban caches rated under a 2-difficulty are caches 'for the numbers'. Some are challenging but most are just to pad your find total. Different cachers have different opinions about this practice. Bottom line is you can go after the caches you want. For example, if it's pouring outside and you have an itch to grab a few caches, the 1-star difficulty caches are there for you. Or, you may decided to start a crazy streak like finding a cache every day. Once you find all the good caches, you have the easy-peasy caches available to keep your streak going. Who would start such a crazy streak - don't know, it's just a hypothetical, right John? B):blink: .

So don't despair, we know about your cache!

I am primarily location cacher. So my rule of thumb is I like visiting caches that I would be happy to DNF. I know that sounds odd but if the spot is cool enough then the cache is just the cherry on the banana split.

I also love doing any cache that makes me use my brain. So clever cammo, a good puzzle and cool multis are really fun for me!

A bunch of us have helped me to compile a list of SD Consensus Favorites which I have a link to below. Try finding some of these caches, I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

I also love doing any cache that makes me use my brain. So clever cammo, a good puzzle and cool multis are really fun for me!

Hmmm... I haven't seen you log any of my latest puzzles... <_< They're not *good* enough for you?!?! :P

PolarBear has new puzzles out???

Why don't people tell me these things???

D!

Hmmm... I haven't seen you log any of my latest puzzles... <_< They're not *good* enough for you?!?! :P

Actually I can't hike right now because I had knee surgery and I'm waiting for my Doc to give me a thumbs up. No cache is worth going through this all over again. Anyhow, I am weffriddles fan so I was doing your riddles! They are fun! However, I am stuck on riddle 13. Are you sure that that link isn't broken? I know TVs pretty well....
I had plans to grab your cache on the way to the Squeeze event this past Saturday, but I decided to not be a stanger and instead participated in the breakfast pre-event in Ramona. I then had hopes of stopping by on the way home, but I gorged myself on hot dogs and hamburgers at the post-event barbeque that I was not looking forward to the turns up Banner grade, then more of the same down the 79.

I will admit that, in the back of my mind, I had some hesitation going after a new cache by a new hider. I was in the Lagunas a couple of weeks ago and DNF'ed The The Remote Rossiter Cache. It's the first hide for that cacher, and it appears his coords are off; another cacher DNF'ed.

Generally, the urban caches rated under a 2-difficulty are caches 'for the numbers'. Some are challenging but most are just to pad your find total. Different cachers have different opinions about this practice. Bottom line is you can go after the caches you want. For example, if it's pouring outside and you have an itch to grab a few caches, the 1-star difficulty caches are there for you. Or, you may decided to start a crazy streak like finding a cache every day. Once you find all the good caches, you have the easy-peasy caches available to keep your streak going. Who would start such a crazy streak - don't know, it's just a hypothetical, right John? <_<:D .

:P Or if it's 2 am and you never sleep anyways....you need easy ones that make the dogs bark and wake the neighbors and make the cops ask questions....just hypothetical right Jessie? :P Yesterday I rode my MTB 15 miles to get a zip fizz container in a pile of rocks and it was a BLAST! For somone else it might have been a waste of time. You'll never please everyone..or maybe not anyone ..so you might as well just please yourself...as long as the rules are followed and no one gets hurt. I actually like placing caches more that finding caches, but I'm married to a "numbers freak" and we're a team so I find them too. Just have fun!!!!

Edited by jahoadi and john
Yesterday I rode my MTB 15 miles to get a zip fizz container in a pile of rocks and it was a BLAST!
When I was a kid people used to "walk a mile for a Camel." Nowadays some people ride a bike 15 miles to find something that avoided someone's kitchen garbage can. Boy have times changed! :D:P<_< <I'm just teasing ya, Jodi!> :P Edited by TrailGators
Yesterday I rode my MTB 15 miles to get a zip fizz container in a pile of rocks and it was a BLAST!
When I was a kid people used to "walk a mile for a Camel." Nowadays some people ride a bike 15 miles to find something that avoided someone's kitchen garbage can. Boy have times changed! <_<:D:D <I'm just teasing ya, Jodi!> :P

:P If ya don't want me to be mad at you you better give me the answer to Riddle 11...or is that a different thread? :D

When I was a kid people used to "walk a mile for a Camel." Nowadays some people ride a bike 15 miles to find something that avoided someone's kitchen garbage can. Boy have times changed! :antenna::):antenna: <I'm just teasing ya, Jodi!> B)
:( If ya don't want me to be mad at you you better give me the answer to Riddle 11...or is that a different thread? :)

B) I'm glad you're not mad at me Jodi! :huh: I can be pretty sarcastic sometimes. :) I PMed you a tiny hint. B)

P.S. By the way, you have a birthday coming up this Friday! I'm not sure why I remembered that.... :antenna:

When I was a kid people used to "walk a mile for a Camel." Nowadays some people ride a bike 15 miles to find something that avoided someone's kitchen garbage can. Boy have times changed! :huh::):( <I'm just teasing ya, Jodi!> B)
:antenna: If ya don't want me to be mad at you you better give me the answer to Riddle 11...or is that a different thread? B)

B) I'm glad you're not mad at me Jodi! :) I can be pretty sarcastic sometimes. :D I PMed you a tiny hint. :antenna:

P.S. By the way, you have a birthday coming up this Friday! I'm not sure why I remembered that.... :antenna:

Wait just a danged minute, how come Jodi gets hints and the rest of us don't?

O yeah, I forgot, 'cause she can be so fiesty huh? When Splashette and Jodi

started compariing notes, that's when my troubles actually started, big-time.

Hi Jodi and Janie, luv y'!

Sweet ol' Harmon

p.s. Remind me, what was the topic on this thread?

O yeah, the best cache hides are when you cause somebody to head back out

on a long power-trail that they just cleared of finds. Make that happen twice or

three times is a Geocacher's dream. Hee-hee-hee! B):)

Edited by SD Rowdies
That reminds me that the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches are some of the funniest

caches in th' west. What makes 'em fun? Y'all gotta do 'em to find out! Yee ha! :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. The holidays brought several Geocachers out

to the Sandy Creek Cowboys caches, with some great cowboy-talk log entries.

Now if I could just locate about eighty feet of very isolated fence-line for Sandy

Creek Cowboy Cache No. 15 then I'd get 'er done. I finalized the design concept to

eliminate one operational issue that kept stopping me but I finally had an inspiration

about handling that issue. Now I just need to test a prototype but I'm still hung up

on finding a secure location for the setup so's it doesn't get destroyed by Muggles

like "Uncle Booger's Interactive Sculpture Garden" did on the same day that Janie

and I placed it. This one really needs to be done as it would drive six of you at a time

completely crazy. In my mind that would make up for some of the misery I've had to

suffer over them danged puzzle caches.

Hmm, I just thought of the proper answer to the question that opened this thread,

the answer is "Imagination."

Harmon

SD Rowdies and

Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies
That reminds me that the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches are some of the funnest caches in th' west. What makes 'em fun? Y'all gotta do 'em to find out! Yee ha! B)

Yup . . . that's true. :) I had the pleasure of doing all the SCC caches (except #1) again yesterday. That is about the fourth time I have done those caches, and they were just as fun this time around as they were the first time. :)

Unfortunately, you placed your second cache after I had already downloaded waypoints for the area. Otherwise, I could have gotten it when I was there. I see you have a third cache, now...I'll have to go back down there again soon.

BTW a successful cache is one that takes at least as much thought and time to hide as it does to find. Urban caches have their place as well as rural caches. I can't always be driving around the countryside, so I can't always persue caches in nice locations.

Generally, the urban caches rated under a 2-difficulty are caches 'for the numbers'. Some are challenging but most are just to pad your find total. Different cachers have different opinions about this practice. Bottom line is you can go after the caches you want. For example, if it's pouring outside and you have an itch to grab a few caches, the 1-star difficulty caches are there for you. Or, you may decided to start a crazy streak like finding a cache every day. Once you find all the good caches, you have the easy-peasy caches available to keep your streak going. Who would start such a crazy streak - don't know, it's just a hypothetical, right John? :)B) .

:) Or if it's 2 am and you never sleep anyways....you need easy ones that make the dogs bark and wake the neighbors and make the cops ask questions....just hypothetical right Jessie? :antenna: Yesterday I rode my MTB 15 miles to get a zip fizz container in a pile of rocks and it was a BLAST! For somone else it might have been a waste of time. You'll never please everyone..or maybe not anyone ..so you might as well just please yourself...as long as the rules are followed and no one gets hurt. I actually like placing caches more that finding caches, but I'm married to a "numbers freak" and we're a team so I find them too. Just have fun!!!!

The first hide must be good,cause RJBLOOM hasn't complained about it . B) I have found that location is the key to a good hide, if it comes up missing alot then its a bad area. Just take the time to locate a area and it will come to you if its good are bad. Good luck.

P.S. There is a going away pizza event Sat the 5 at Geovinnis I think thats the place,on Clairement Mesa so hope you can make it.

:(

I see the coords were updated yesterday; only 6058.3 feet off the original coords!

Yes 6058.3 feet but only one number was off so that ain't bad is it.

When I was a kid people used to "walk a mile for a Camel." Nowadays some people ride a bike 15 miles to find something that avoided someone's kitchen garbage can. Boy have times changed! ;):(:( <I'm just teasing ya, Jodi!> :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: If ya don't want me to be mad at you you better give me the answer to Riddle 11...or is that a different thread? :D

:laughing: I'm glad you're not mad at me Jodi! B) I can be pretty sarcastic sometimes. :( I PMed you a tiny hint. <_<

P.S. By the way, you have a birthday coming up this Friday! I'm not sure why I remembered that.... :D

:blink: Hey Pat, I didn't get my PM..where do I find it? I wonder why you remembered Friday :D What kind of cake are you getting?..I'm going to Vegas so maybe SWA will make me one ?? Duncan's is Saturday I believe.

When I was a kid people used to "walk a mile for a Camel." Nowadays some people ride a bike 15 miles to find something that avoided someone's kitchen garbage can. Boy have times changed! :blink::(B) <I'm just teasing ya, Jodi!> :rolleyes:
<_< If ya don't want me to be mad at you you better give me the answer to Riddle 11...or is that a different thread? :D

:( I'm glad you're not mad at me Jodi! ;) I can be pretty sarcastic sometimes. :rolleyes: I PMed you a tiny hint. :D

P.S. By the way, you have a birthday coming up this Friday! I'm not sure why I remembered that.... :(

:D Hey Pat, I didn't get my PM..where do I find it? I wonder why you remembered Friday :laughing: What kind of cake are you getting?..I'm going to Vegas so maybe SWA will make me one ?? Duncan's is Saturday I believe.

Click on "1 New Message" in the upper corner. Who is SWA? I'm going to Vegas too! I'll probably see you guys up there. Edited by TrailGators
When I was a kid people used to "walk a mile for a Camel." Nowadays some people ride a bike 15 miles to find something that avoided someone's kitchen garbage can. Boy have times changed! :blink::rolleyes:B) <I'm just teasing ya, Jodi!> <_<
:D If ya don't want me to be mad at you you better give me the answer to Riddle 11...or is that a different thread? :(

:( I'm glad you're not mad at me Jodi! ;) I can be pretty sarcastic sometimes. :rolleyes: I PMed you a tiny hint. B)

P.S. By the way, you have a birthday coming up this Friday! I'm not sure why I remembered that.... :D

:( Hey Pat, I didn't get my PM..where do I find it? I wonder why you remembered Friday :laughing: What kind of cake are you getting?..I'm going to Vegas so maybe SWA will make me one ?? Duncan's is Saturday I believe.

Click on "1 New Message" in the upper corner. Who is SWA? I'm going to Vegas too! I'll probably see you guys up there.

:D Oh yeah...I see it now. SWA=Southwest Airlines.. $49 one way. $10 a day rental car and a free hotel. John got off cheap!!

When I was a kid people used to "walk a mile for a Camel." Nowadays some people ride a bike 15 miles to find something that avoided someone's kitchen garbage can. Boy have times changed! :blink::rolleyes:B) <I'm just teasing ya, Jodi!> <_<
:D If ya don't want me to be mad at you you better give me the answer to Riddle 11...or is that a different thread? :(

:( I'm glad you're not mad at me Jodi! ;) I can be pretty sarcastic sometimes. :rolleyes: I PMed you a tiny hint. B)

:( Hey Pat, I didn't get my PM..where do I find it? I wonder why you remembered Friday :laughing: What kind of cake are you getting?..I'm going to Vegas so maybe SWA will make me one ?? Duncan's is Saturday I believe.

Click on "1 New Message" in the upper corner. Who is SWA? I'm going to Vegas too! I'll probably see you guys up there.

:D Oh yeah...I see it now. SWA=Southwest Airlines.. $49 one way. $10 a day rental car and a free hotel. John got off cheap!!

I'm flying up on SWA of Friday too! My company is paying because I'm staying for the CES show! B)

Maybe we can all share a DQ cake this weekend in LV!! My Bday is tomorrow, and I think D! told me his was on Sunday.

Splashette :D

:( I'm glad you're not mad at me Jodi! B) I can be pretty sarcastic sometimes. :rolleyes: I PMed you a tiny hint. B)

P.S. By the way, you have a birthday coming up this Friday! I'm not sure why I remembered that.... ;)

Maybe we can all share a DQ cake this weekend in LV!! My Bday is tomorrow, and I think D! told me his was on Sunday.

Happy Birthday Splashette! DQ sounds great to me! Because I'm flying up on my B-day, I'm missing my cake and the HUGE party at home. :D Edited by TrailGators

:( I'm glad you're not mad at me Jodi! B) I can be pretty sarcastic sometimes. :rolleyes: I PMed you a tiny hint. B)

P.S. By the way, you have a birthday coming up this Friday! I'm not sure why I remembered that.... ;)

Happy Birthday Splashette! DQ sounds great to me! Because I'm flying up on my B-day, I'm missing my cake and the HUGE party at home. :D

What was the topic of this thread agin? Oh yeah!!!!

Don't try to measure success with numbers of visits. Caches in urban areas will always receive more visits whether it is a "good" hide or a "bad" hide. "numbers freaks" will still get them, as will those who won't go out for the more remote, difficult caches. As has been said so many times measure success by how the hide makes you feel.

I think I have some good spots for hides that would take people to interesting points of interest, but I'm lacking ideas for the difficulty of the cache itself. For instance, all my caches so far have been ammo cans; not very original. I'm trying to think of some way to make that element of the hide more interesting while still accommodating a large(ish) cache.

One place I plan to hide a cache is near a pond. I thought about buying one of those wooden decoy ducks, hallowing it out, and putting the cache inside it and anchor it to the bottom of the pond. Or something along those lines. stuff like that. But since I live in a condo, I'm limited by my resources to manufacture caches.

Don't try to measure success with numbers of visits. Caches in urban areas will always receive more visits whether it is a "good" hide or a "bad" hide. "numbers freaks" will still get them, as will those who won't go out for the more remote, difficult caches. As has been said so many times measure success by how the hide makes you feel.
That is definitely true. One thing that kind of works is to look at the average log length for a cache. Successful caches will typically get longer logs. GSAK has a macro that lets you sort caches by average log length. It can only look at the last 5 logs so it isn't that accurate, but it's not that bad. Also later this year, V2 of the site is going to let people give awards to caches like best hike, best cammo, etc. I think this will also entice people to try to get awards, so this should make things more fun! Edited by TrailGators

Incidently, do you think that decoy duck idea would work?

Perfect idea, in fact it should make a nice companion piece to my "Mike the Headless Chicken" cache.

Place it where the finder has to spot a fishline in order to reel it in. Danger is that Muggles will take an interest in a duck decoy.

Edited by SD Rowdies
That is definitely true. One thing that kind of works is to look at the average log length for a cache. Successful caches will typically get longer logs . . .

<snip>

Very true! Check out this log for Indiana Ed's "Cave of Ghost Waters" cache: :D

Happy New Year! Beginning 2008 couldn’t have been any better! HOLY ‘MOKES! HOLY ‘MOKES!

I first want to say thank you Indiana Ed, for the hide & for giving us the opportunity to explore an underground cave/cache! I loved it! I have never done anything like that before–but next to having the opportunity to cache this Cave of Ghost Waters, it would NEVER have been the same without such great friends: Ambiguous, Goblin_Girl, Trixxster & Guma! There’s nothing better than real friends: supporters, encouragers, jokesters & cynicals!

So to begin our ascent Ambiguous knew their Space Mobile wouldn’t make it so as I looked at my GPS, looked at the hill, then back at my GPS it was at this time I hoped my new GPS was broken; it was showing more than ½ mile up that hill! This is where the second Holy Mokes is! The first Holy Mokes was from the burnt acreage. Ambiguous pointed out the ‘fire drops’!

Back to our ascent; we met a BP Agent ‘Supervisor Cash’ I will call him who noticed our headlamp & GPS & was sociable & friendly. He informed us that one cave was about 8” deep and managed to easily convince Ambiguous to continue. Thank you Sup. Cash! He let me have 2 bottles of H2O (that saved me) after he quietly declined Goblin_Girl’s request for a friendly ride up the hill to the entrance; guess she didn’t bat her wings enough. :unsure: Sup. Cash said he found an alien with contents from a cache, called to report it only to find out that he knew Indiana Ed years back. He had great stories! Then, what did we find in the cache?

Onward and Upward! I was moving at a VERY slow pace! Thanks again for the H2O Sup. Cash! I went from the hospital yesterday to the trail today! My friends were so supportive & patient with my climb! They refused my plea to continue & let me just meet them in the cave, fearful they would miss my super-powers to climb hills, & came down to walk with me up the hill while singing xmas songs, cracking jokes, taking pictures & making noise! I don’t have a clue what was said, as I was lightheaded & only concerned with making it up.

Finally at the top we saw a great bumper sticker! We noticed the cave entrance & made our way in! The feeling of my feet, sloshing around in the mud & water was just glorious. As we trekked on the stalactites were stunning & I was inside of a cave, or as everyone else calls it a floom! We found our destination and decided to continue on to ‘the other side’. A lil’ further down, Ambiguous started to feel that glorious feeling in his shoes & became a lil’ hesitant to continue on so I took the lead! Eagle eyes spotted the boys on the other end & they were greeted with a loud & cheery “Happy New Year!”

Shortly after we continued back to sign the log and make the return trek. On our way to the cache, I spotted a black thing moving above our heads in a tiny crack! He was startled by an excited gasp of how cute and took off. I know he heard the shout of the adage we saw on the bumper sticker earlier as he flew like A Bat Out of Hell! We made it to the cache, Trixxster made the grab & signed the log. I took the TB for Diabetes (It whispered that it has been lonely for the past 3 months.) The funny thing we did see in the cache was, a little green alien dude. We referenced BP Sup. Cash on this one cuz he apprehended his alien (we don’t think it was this alien) J The cache log was a little damp (Trixxster placed in a plastic bag); the entire container smelled awful – like mildew & mold. Yuck!

The rest of the way back showed me all the creepy crawlers we missed on the way in–snakes, rats, crocodiles, alligators, fish & a big shark too.I believe I truly scared Trixxster when pointing to a stick & loudly said, “Snake.” I wish I had a video on at that time! Maybe next time we’ll see some snakes, lizards & frogs, but for this time it was only a resident bat.

I’d like to once again say thanks for placing the cache! Happy New Year to all Happy Caching!icon_smile_approve.gif

Now, THAT's a successful cache! :lol: