Large single day logs

We have seen many people boasting of 60, 70, 80 or more cache finds in a single day. Those numbers are impressive to those of us who find 6-10 in a day and then take a nap :sad:

Aside from No-Doze what are the best tips and tools for planning and executing large multiple cache trips?

Thanks for sharing the info.

Find a high density cache rich area and plan on being out all day and into the night.

A cache rich area is a big help. Paperless caching is another one. My cache buddies use Microsoft Streets and Trips in tandem with GSAK on numbers runs. We use S&T to plan out our route, targeting caches that have been found within the previous week or two to reduce the chances we'll be looking for something that has been muggled. This also helps us save on gas since we know exactly what we will be searching for that day. We mark our finds and log on the road in GSAK, working from a database that only contains our targets for the day. And, as the previous poster said, we spend a good 5 to 8 hours (at least) caching that day. Usually these numbers runs take place while we're on vacation and have the time to devote to playing...

Happy caching! :sad:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=175553

This forum topic "Why do people lie about their numbers" got to be rather tedious with all the accusations flying around, but you can glean quite a bit of information about "power caching" from it if you're patient. Personally, I think it sounds like "work" (please don't tell my husband that I used that 4-letter word!) to do caching that way and I'm quite satisfied with the few caches I am able to find when I go out hunting. I may not be able to remember all the caches in the long term, but I can sure remember the few I do find long enough to log them! If you decide to do a cache run -- Good Luck!

get some rest. :sad:

I've never done more than perhaps 6 or 7 in a day, and I was exhausted. Of course, those were all at the top of large hill climbs.

I don't imagine I'll ever get many more than that, since I'm not a numbers junkie, and the thing that I enjoy most, the hike to and from the cache, would be harder to appreciate if I was in a big hurry.

One of the great things about this game, there are many ways to enjoy it, something that works great for some, not so much for others, and there's room for everyone. (except for micros! jk :sad: )

I think my personal best was ~86 caches in about 13 hours. It included one of the FIRST power trails created, at least I THINK so? (It created quite a STINK at HQ, and consisted of about 35 of the caches found) We didn't use GSAK or S&T maps, just pretty low-tech NON DIRECTING GPSrs. (Read that as we found our own way to all of them, no BEEPS or TALKING LADIES telling us where to turn)

BIG numbers runs in the hundreds usually happen at MEGA EVENTS, where everyone participating is prepared to cache-around-the-clock, are in a VERY cache rich area, AND have TOUR GUIDES!

I love power caching. But you have to build up to it. I think my first big day was 32, then 45, then 61(included 2 events-one only 7min long), soon 68 and 90 and then the big one 137 before Midnight. Thats the only honest way to do it. If it's after midnight its the next day unless you drive to a different time zone.

Find a cache dense area with a lot of PNGs. City worked out best for us. Area with many frontage roads, dead end roads and other assorted roadside right of ways. Most caches were only .15 or .25 apart which can be driven in like a minute.

Run a query several days before. Evaluate all possible routes minimizing backtracking. Start sorting through the caches. Remove anything with more than .10 walk from parking or has had 2 dnfs unless theres a recent maintenance. If you want #'s you dont want to waste your time on a cache that might be missing. Also get rid of ones that may be further away from the cluster than you like for that run. Also No cabooses, trains, tanks, planes, wagons.

It is imperitive to plan the route that will minimize your mileage. If you just punch up the next closest cache, you'll be driving in circles.

Cache with a partner, 1 works best. Hopefully one of you is a really good navigator. Split up and search twice as much in the same time. Too many cachers and it hinders the search. One person signs for both, faster than handing the log over.

Plan to hit the area at sunrise. If that is 6am and you have a 3hr dr. Leave at 3am. If you prefer daylight wait until June.

Laptop works best. Navigator tells driver where to go and reads next cache description and logs and hints if you are so inclined to use them.

Helps to be familiar with the hider's styles you're hunting.

Pack a cooler and have food with you. CAFFEINE. I like Barq's and Lipton Extra Sweet Tea. Muther likes Coca-cola. The only times you stop-Gas and Bathroom. Physically I find women can go longer without eating or bathroom breaks than the average guy.

Have all geotools readily accessible. Mini pliers, tweezers, Grabber, hiking pole, magnet on stick, extra batteries, giant screwdriver, flashlights(at least 3), pens(at least 3), extra logs for the wet ones, wet wipes, etc.

Own a Jeep. It can turn a few walks into PNGs.

Also might help to have a phone-a-friend for the area although we didn't.

Thats how we did it. Thats all I can think of right now. Good Luck.

Yeah, what Racer said :)

She covered the good stuff and is the designated navigator in our power runs. We spend a couple of days ahead of time whittling down the PQ, but she spends much more time looking over the route. It is much more fun with a partner, but if you can't do it that way, it can be done alone. I managed 120 in Nashville in about 20 hours alone, but man, if Racer would have been there, I'm betting we could another 30 at least.

We probably change gpsr batteries three times during a 24 hour run.

Don't plan on multis but work puzzles out ahead of time.

Bring a notebook to keep track of what you've done.

No no-doze. Just a good buddy, adrenaline, and laughter!

Great ideas. Our preference is towards long hikes but we have been doing some PNG when time is limited. Our natural handicap seems to be our team make up - 2 adults, a 10 yr old and a welsh terrier. Just getting in and out of the car is an event.

This summer we will have to plan and leave the dog behind and make a concerted effort at volume - just for the change of pace.

Regardless, we are all happier when caching as a family.

And no mistaken- IT IS WORK to get the #'s. A lot of time spent analyzing the PQ and route.

And you WILL Be sore and tired and have what we refer to as a caching hangover for a couple days.

When we set our record we would usually jog to or from the cache even if its only 100-200ft. Every second counts. Even if you dont just getting in and out of the Jeep 300 x's is exhausting.

Like Muther said, take quick notes so you remember the cache.

Here is some advice that I've posted in a couple of threads recently.

Ten Tips for 24 hour cache runs:

1. Choose your caches in advance, filtering out multi's, unsolved puzzles, high terrain, long hikes, etc. Load only your target caches into your mapping software and GPS, so you won't be tempted to deviate from the chosen route. Select a cache-dense area where no team members have found a lot of the caches.

2. Skip isolated caches that are miles off your main route. Look for clusters of caches, like six in the same park or a long line of caches in a commercial district.

3. Where possible, plan your route to hit all the caches on the right hand side of a busy road (the one with all the malls, shopping plazas and big box stores on it), and then turn left one time and hit all the caches on the opposite side of the road during the return leg. You'll be amazed at how much time is saved by not waiting to make left turns. Over the course of 24 hours, this alone can mean getting up to five more caches.

4. Use turn-by-turn mapping software like nRoute or Streets and Trips, preferably on a laptop computer in the car. Don't just choose "next nearest," choose the cache that makes the most sense in light of the available roads. The large laptop screen makes it easier for the navigator to see the big picture and avoid mistakes. Hook the laptop up to a spare GPS, and track the vehicle's position in real time on the map.

5. Set a time limit after which you all agree to abandon a hunt, take a DNF, and move on to the next cache.

6. Plan your route so that the night time hours are spent in areas where it's legal for you to be there at night. Use the daylight hours to find caches in cemeteries, town parks that close at "dusk," and caches in residential areas.

7. Carry copies of the Groundspeak Geocaching Brochure to show to landowners or law enforcement officers. Record runs, especially the night time portion, are more likely to attract attention. Be honest about what you're doing, and in the vast majority of cases you'll receive a friendly wave to go about your fun. If you're told you are somewhere you shouldn't be, apologize and leave immediately.

8. Practice the same caching ethics that you would on any other geocaching trip. Sign each logbook. Log courteously -- don't slap giant stickers saying "Team Record Run" onto tiny microcache scrolls. Take reasonable care not to be spotted by muggles. Replace the cache exactly as you found it.

9. Appoint different team members to different specialized jobs -- driver, navigator and record-keeper are the essential ones.

10. The record-keeper should capture a few details about each cache as it's found, to make it easier for everyone to keep the caches straight when logging. Even a few cryptic notes like "Guardrail MKH @ Target - John found - log wet" will allow team members to write meaningful logs instead of copy-paste logs saying "1 of 150 caches found during a 24 hour cache marathon, TNLN, TFTC."

My personal best is 240 caches in a 24 hour period, using these techniques as part of a team that included one other finder plus a local driver and a local navigator/record keeper who did not participate in finding the caches and who did not give clues to the finders. It's not something that I'm itching to do again any time soon, but it's a lot of fun to try it once. If I tried a 24 hour marathon again, I would try to see how many caches I could find totally solo. Finding 100+ caches solo would be a cool goal.

Echoing what others have said I'd like to add the importance of good maps, especially if the area you plan to visit is not your stomping grounds. Bring lots of hand sanitizer, and latex gloves, to hunt all the disgusting places that people hide P & G caches. :)

Another suggestion is flying to Porterville California, a Power Cacher's dream. :)

7b514916-6320-4334-820f-6cc40befd322.jpg

Echoing what others have said I'd like to add the importance of good maps, especially if the area you plan to visit is not your stomping grounds. Bring lots of hand sanitizer, and latex gloves, to hunt all the disgusting places that people hide P & G caches. :)

Another suggestion is flying to Porterville California, a Power Cacher's dream. :)

7b514916-6320-4334-820f-6cc40befd322.jpg

Geez, I'm on the way there now, to deliver a load. When I'm going to visis an area, and see a map like that I often just give up. I mean WHERE do you even start??

For me I've come to the point that I usually won't plan a day with more than about 10 Caches. If you want to run around like a madman and sign logs all day without even looking in the Cache, that's one way to play, but I like to get a unique experience from each Cache, and there's no way I can see to do that if you can only alot 6 minutes for each one(including travel time). For me, each Cache find takes about 20-30 minutes from the time I arrive in the area to the time I'm ready to leave.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT