bringing people to Geocaching

steve638

Was wondering what ways you all bring others to geocaching ?

I've tell people at work it's a fun family activity great for the family to get outdoors and do things with the kids other then stare at the idiot box aka tv, it doesn't cost much either!

I've taken people caching with me and that seems to work best.

Saw another thread about more people joining geocaching. I've only been doing this since July of this year and don't imagine stopping.

How do you get people involved ?

I usually don't promote geocacher, per se, but if it comes up for whatever reason I explain it, if they are interested I go into more depth...I've converted quite a few people from Mugglism and they all have more finds than me except for one. Then again, it's not hard to surpass me at the rate I am able to get out.

I've only taken one person with me, but that definitely did it for them.

Hide caches!

Host events!

We've been very successful in Alabama using those simple devices.

In cache-poor areas where someone discovers the game and begins hiding caches you soon see more caches appear. Pretty soon viral networking grows awareness and you have a geocaching community.

Ditto for hosting events - a mention in the local newspaper that cachers will be gathering at location X (park. restaurant, wherever) will almost always get interested locals together. At such events I have the fun but somewhat self-serving habit of giving away stocked caches as game or door prizes - the winners hide them, growing the geocaching community and giving me more caches to find!

As far as 'recruiting' by explaining the game, keep it up, but expect far more blank looks than new geocachers!

...How do you get people involved ?

Take them with me seems to work best. Normally I have a general idea if they would like caching. After that if I think they would be fun to cache with I'll invite them.

Beyond that I really don't worry about it.

What percentage have liked it and kept caching? My percentage is really low...

Sometimes you just have to hijack them, LOL. We've been telling friends of ours (a married couple) about geocaching for about 4 months. Showed them our gps & what it can do, even had them paw through about a dozen caches that we carry around ready-to-place. They seem to accept that we have found an activity that *we* like. Last week when we went out for our annual Christmas dinner- I offered to drive & they accepted. After dinner we turned our gps on & hit 4 or 5 caches that were within a mile of where we ate. They got to see an example of every kind of cache (ammo box, regular, small & micro- not to mention 1 DNF in a cactus patch, LOL). They had a great time, but I don't think they'll be creating an account here in this lifetime due to their personal time constraints. They DID have a good time though, & their eyes are a lot more sparkley when we talk about our recent finds now :rolleyes:

This is a bit of an unconventional approach but it was a blast! We found a back country lodge near Lake Tahoe, CA that had really good off season rates in late fall. So we gathered up a bunch of friends who have never heard of geocaching and rented the whole lodge for a weekend. The rates were so good that everyone pitched in, split the costs of food and lodging, and made it really affordable.

We got there a day early and hid a bunch of temporary caches (just for our private event). Some were micros at the lodge, some were ammo boxes that involved long hikes. One was a multi that had a Hitchcock theme. The group of 10 shared 3 GPS units and everyone had a great time. It was a treat to share our passion with our friends and now several of them have become involved in geocaching.

My experience has been people to which I speak about geocaching either get crazed about it almost immediately or start looking for a an exit door as I am scaring them talking this terrible, subversive talk about hiding stuff in the woods like some demented cloak-and-dagger method actor that has gone over the edge. Much like B Boys post, if they start looking confused (or scared) I stop and they eventually resume normal brain activity again soon.

By far, the BEST results I have had is explaining it to them just enough for them to ask a question or two and, if they seem excited, get them to take a run out to the nearest caches or two with me for fun. At that point, they either love it or hate it.

By far, the BEST results I have had is explaining it to them just enough for them to ask a question or two and, if they seem excited, get them to take a run out to the nearest caches or two with me for fun. At that point, they either love it or hate it.

Just as Tabulator32 explained, either they are going to love it or hate it. I have talked about geocaching at work and everybody thinks it is the most stupid thing they have ever heard of. Even my wife has talked about it with her coworkers and they say, why would you waste your time and effort on finding junk in containers. Geocaching does not seem to be very well received hobby, at least around here. However, I have managed to get one coworker and his family started on geocaching and they love it. When my nieces and nephews are in town visiting, they enjoy to go out caching with me, so it seems like the younger crowd are more enthuseastic about it. My son is involved in scouts and I have even talked about organizing a geocaching event for his pack, but none of the leaders seem interested.

We have at least 500 geocaches hidden in my area (Black Hills National Forest) and the number is growing, despite the small number of geocachers.

Was wondering what ways you all bring others to geocaching ?

I've tell people at work it's a fun family activity great for the family to get outdoors and do things with the kids other then stare at the idiot box aka tv, it doesn't cost much either!

I've taken people caching with me and that seems to work best.

Saw another thread about more people joining geocaching. I've only been doing this since July of this year and don't imagine stopping.

How do you get people involved ?

Eewww! I cringe when I hear of people promoting or proselytizing anything, and I would never think of trying to preach about geocaching (or about anything else, for that matter) to anyone whom I know! Strangely enuf, as a result of that non-proselytizing philosophy, a number of my friends have volunteered to go geocaching with me when I am visiting other states, or when they are visiting us from out of state, and several now have their own geo accounts.

And, since there has been no mention of goats yet in this thread, I must say that goats tend to love to go geocaching. :sad: