Looking up Archived Caches

thesickness

Welcome to the Forums! :D

There used to be a way to find the Archived caches from the geocaching.com maps, but that was changed recently. Now, the only way I know to find Archived caches is to look in the Profiles of people who have been caching in your area for a long time, who might have found those caches. Or, look at the caches placed by cachers who have been placing caches for several years.

I brought this up in another topic and its useless to point out the Good reasons that it would be nice to see the Archived caches. Too bad we lost this great ability...

My most joyous finds have been archives that have been out there for a few years. The only reason for them not to provide this info, is to "hide" how much geo-litter there might be. I think it should be freely available, and give those of us who care to remove them a chance to do so.

The King makes a good point. Allowing them to be searchable would make it easier for us to clean up abandoned geolitter. Besides, sometimes caches that are perfectly functional get archived because the owner loses interest, or the ability to maintain them. This would give somebody the chance to adopt or relist it.

But like some other things many wish would happen, I fear such things shall fall on deaf ears. :rolleyes:

Edited by wandererrob

I know I have joined in on this topic in the past and the results never change, but I'll throw my voice in the wind again.

I think the ability to easily search for Archived caches would be very useful. I think being able to see what caches used to exist in an area is useful information to have when hiding a new cache. If previous caches in the area have a history of going missing it might be a good indication that the area might not be a good spot. \

We have at least one local park like that for sure. New cachers join the game, find a beautiful park that has no hides in it and doesn't understand why. It's because we "oldtimers" know that caches there just don't last.

I've never heard a good reason for keeping Archived cache data hidden away so I too suspect it is to hide the amount of geo-litter left out there. I guess we should be happy that at least Archived caches remain a part of the user's profile so you can find them that way.

I've never heard a good reason for keeping Archived cache data hidden away so I too suspect it is to hide the amount of geo-litter left out there.

That is a rather rash conclusion - don't you think?

As sBell points out - just because it isn't listed on this site anymore - that does not automatically make it Geo-litter.

TPTB have stated several good and valid reasions not to give out information easily on archived caches. Mostly, it is for the caches that are archived due to trespass issues. You do not want any further visitors to the area after a tresspass complaint is aired.

Thats is one good reason - there are more if you look.

As the King knows, some cachers archive their caches on one site and leave tehm available for finding from another site. If we assumed that these caches were litter, we would, in affect, be stealing a active cache.

It's easy enough to check the other sites. It's not like there are a lot of them.

As the King knows, some cachers archive their caches on one site and leave them available for finding from another site. If we assumed that these caches were litter, we would, in affect, be stealing a active cache.

This almost happened to us one day. One guy had "stale" waypoints in his GPSr. I had the waypoints for the "other" caches, but this cache was not in my GPSr. We thought about retrieving the container for the cache owner . . . and then I realized, after looking at who had signed the logbook, it must have been part of a Multi . . . That was why the coordinates for that particular container were not in my GPSr.

You don't want to try to Retrieve an Archived Geocache container unless you know for certain it isn't part of a cache on one of the other sites.

As the King knows, some cachers archive their caches on one site and leave tehm available for finding from another site. If we assumed that these caches were litter, we would, in affect, be stealing a active cache.
It's easy enough to check the other sites. It's not like there are a lot of them.
You only have to miss one. Also, If I get permission to leave a box in the woods, you don't automatically have the right to remove it, simply because it isn't listed on GC.com or any other public geocaching website. Edited by sbell111

Or that they have any significant number of caches listed :D

I'm just mad because I can't make Bookmark lists of obscure short-lived caches anymore, especially in the case of two that were never found. :rolleyes: