Thoughts on buying a refurbished unit?

tabulator32

I'm looking at a refurbished GARMIN GPSMAP 60 for $120.00

Would it be worth it?

Its an online auction and the seller is a powerseller with a great rating.

I'm not familiar with a GARMIN GPSMAP 60 but it seems to have all the neat features required for downloading data via USB from the geocaching website.

What scares me is the word "refurbished".

Anyone ever bought a refurbished GPS unit? Did it last?

Thanks for your input.

I wouldn't get that model . . . refurbished or not. For a unit around that price, check for a discontinued Garmin Legend C or Vista C. After I upgraded to the Vista HCx, I sold my nearly-new "spare" Legend C for $125.00. The Legend C connects with USB and is capable of auto-routing, should you later have the money for the City Navigator maps.

If you trust the seller, you shouldn't hesitate to buy a refurbished Garmin. It's a used GPS unit, but it's been completely repaired by the manufacturer. Normally they will sell for less than a new unit, of course. If it hasn't been used since it left Garmin, it will be in perfect working order, with no cosmetic flaws, and should have a one-year manufacturer's warranty. So it can be a good deal on a unit that's like new. I bought a refurbished unit and have used it for a year and a half.

This particular model might not be the best in your price range; I have no opinion on that.

Thank you, everyone, for your input and feedback.

I just jumped in on the last minute or so of an auction and managed to land a Gamrin Etrex Legend (the regular monochrome one, not the "c") and it should be here in a few days.

I understand it comes with a serial connector cable and I will need an adapter to hook it up to my USB port on my Mac, but I believe it will suit my purpose.

It has to be better than using the thumbstick on my Magellan explorer 200 to manually enter each coordinate.

Now, if I understand correctly, when I get my Garmin Legend, I can simply hook it up to the computer with the USB adapter and, when logged into my geocaching account, I can click the "send to Garmin" button and it will simply load the coords and the cache name into the GPS unit. Is it really that simple or am I missing something?

Thanks again for all your help.

:laughing:

Thank you, everyone, for your input and feedback.

I just jumped in on the last minute or so of an auction and managed to land a Gamrin Etrex Legend (the regular monochrome one, not the "c") and it should be here in a few days.

I understand it comes with a serial connector cable and I will need an adapter to hook it up to my USB port on my Mac, but I believe it will suit my purpose.

It has to be better than using the thumbstick on my Magellan explorer 200 to manually enter each coordinate.

Now, if I understand correctly, when I get my Garmin Legend, I can simply hook it up to the computer with the USB adapter and, when logged into my geocaching account, I can click the "send to Garmin" button and it will simply load the coords and the cache name into the GPS unit. Is it really that simple or am I missing something?

Thanks again for all your help.

:laughing:

About this simple:

You will need the OSX driver for the USB/RS232 adapter and the Garmin Communicator Plugin. The problem with it is that it only sends the posted waypoint, and not any child waypoints, if present. For those, it's better to D/L the GPX eXchange File and use a program like MacCaching to send all the waypoints to you GPSr. And don't forget to set the GPSr unit to "Garmin" under the interface setting.

I think refurb units are fine. In fact I've received a couple in place of a unit I sent in for repair. They all worked just fine.

That said, a refurb GPS 60 for $120? That should be about what you pay for one brand new. The GPS 60 is a very basic unit. If I were getting a basic unit I'd go for the eTrex H which is around 90 bucks and had better reception than the GPS 60.

What I'd really do is spend a bit more and look for Venture CX.

Hope you didn't spend to much for it. Anything over $110 and you were ripped off. You should be able to get it new for under $100 if you shop around.

I actually got it for $89.00 and about $8 shipping. It came with a cable and a USB adapter and (not necessarily a factor in the purchase) the seller through in a free Swiss army knife. (Woot!)

I'm not certain the adaptor will work as most things I've referenced say a more expensive adapter will be needed for some reason or other but I am willing to try it and see. I will look into a different adapter if it does not work.

:D