red alert-nuvi 650 $300-red alert

namiboy

Garmin model numbers don't make sense sometimes. I bought the 250w from costco but i'm thinking of giving it to my sister and buying the 650 but I see lower numbered units with more features or ability to load U.S. Topo 24K National Parks (according to gamin's website the 250w and 650 are not compatible)

Garmin model numbers don't make sense sometimes. I bought the 250w from costco but i'm thinking of giving it to my sister and buying the 650 but I see lower numbered units with more features or ability to load U.S. Topo 24K National Parks (according to gamin's website the 250w and 650 are not compatible)

I'd call Garmin to verify. Topo (100K) works with my nuvi 660. Garmin's compatibility list is out of date.

Costco sold out the 650

will they get anymore?

The 650 is in stock again for $299. just ordered one for myself. Deal goes until 12/10

Are you able to open gpx files using the nuvi 650? How are the caches displayed? Treasure chest? I've been wanting to buy an auto gps to get me close to ground zero then use my handheld the rest of the way. I just don't want to buy a gps that won't open and display gpx files. Thanks!

Costco sold out the 650

will they get anymore?

The 650 is in stock again for $299. just ordered one for myself. Deal goes until 12/10

Are you able to open gpx files using the nuvi 650? How are the caches displayed? Treasure chest? I've been wanting to buy an auto gps to get me close to ground zero then use my handheld the rest of the way. I just don't want to buy a gps that won't open and display gpx files. Thanks!

I received my nuvi 650 yesterday! Costco extended the $299 sale until December 15th for those of you still interested.

Costco sold out the 650

will they get anymore?

I received my nuvi 650 yesterday! Costco extended the $299 sale until December 15th for those of you still interested.

I guess that answers your question: "I just don't want to buy a gps that won't open and display gpx files"

Nice price. Does anyone know how maps will get updated with this unit? Will it only be via SD cards or can you load from the Mapsource DVD?

I loaded TOPO 2008 and 24k west via Mapsource into the Nuvi memory. The pre-loaded map updates via WebUpdater.

Edited by Lknot

Nice price. Does anyone know how maps will get updated with this unit? Will it only be via SD cards or can you load from the Mapsource DVD?

The nuvi maps are updated via the MapSource update DVD and are loaded directly on the unit. SD cards can be used for supplemental maps. Supplemental maps can also be loaded onto the unit as long as you have enough space left.

The firmware can be updated via WebUpdater.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

The nuvi maps are updated via the MapSource update DVD and are loaded directly on the unit. SD cards can be used for supplemental maps. Supplemental maps can also be loaded onto the unit as long as you have enough space left.

The firmware can be updated via WebUpdater.

So we have to buy the updates? I won't be doing that for a while since most of the streets I travel are already there. I have City Nav North NT 2008, is there a CNNNT2008v2.0?

Edited by Lknot

The map updates must be purchased if you want to update them.

You have the most current maps for North America (v 2008). There's no map update beyond that right now.

Many people find that updating the maps every other year instead of every year is more than sufficient for them. But it will depend somewhat on the areas in which you travel.

I will never need the entire north America. They should update by region such as west coast or by time zone.

I really don't have a lot of use for my Nuvi - except when I go off road. It's too bad there isn't a multimedia player as well.

Edited by Lknot