puzzle coordinates

Sirrus123

is it okay to put the coordinates N 00*00.000 W 000*00.000 And then include a picture that tells you the coordinates but you need to decipher it.

From the guidelines:

Unless a good reason otherwise can be provided, the posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles (2-3 kilometres) away from the true cache location. This allows the cache to show up on the proper vicinity searches and to keep the mileage of Trackables that find their way into the cache reasonably correct.

Even if it was allowed, nobody in your area would know to look at your cache page because it would be so far away, the cache wouldn't show up on anyones nearest lists or in their PQs.

If your fake coords were near someone, they'd have a cache on their lists that they couldn't actually find.

Double bummer.

As pointed out above, you should use coordinates that aren't far away. But that doesn't mean that you still can't use a bit of creativity when choosing the phony coordinates for the cache page. In my area, people like to use coordinates that will show that cache in the middle of a lake, or a river, or in the center of a 6 lane highway. Or in the driveway of their friends house.

You are better off just putting zeros in the last 3 digits of each....

Your other response was much funnier! ;)

We get to see so few Santa Claus references in posts these days.

edit: your/your're

I changed it because I realized that Santa is at N90! :o;)

Maybe during the fall, Santa lives in the ocean somewhere off the coast of Africa! ;);)

:rolleyes:

As pointed out above, you should use coordinates that aren't far away. But that doesn't mean that you still can't use a bit of creativity when choosing the phony coordinates for the cache page. In my area, people like to use coordinates that will show that cache in the middle of a lake, or a river, or in the center of a 6 lane highway. Or in the driveway of their friends house.

Someone in the Chicago area once put a puzzle cache's coords around N 41 59.490, W 87 54.183. Authorities were not amuse and requested that the coords be removed from the site. :rolleyes:

Someone in the Chicago area once put a puzzle cache's coords around N 41 59.490, W 87 54.183. Authorities were not amuse and requested that the coords be removed from the site. :rolleyes:

I guess I don't see the problem. It's not like people don't know where O'Hare is. But I fully understand that sometimes authorities, and others, are not amused by certain stuff. Do you happen to know if the coordinates were removed from the site as requested?

ohare_google.jpg

Or in the driveway of their friends house.
It was not in his driveway, it was his front lawn.

He was amused that his cleared radius was 24 feet however...

Paul

Oh, shoot! Mind if I use that idea?

I have just the cacher it'd be fun to do to. He's got a 60 mile radius cleared around his house...

Next time I'm there, I'm taking coordinates.

:anicute:-_-

Now that I have the coordinates, I need the puzzle. :lol:

Edited by Too Tall John

Remember, that the false coordinates, must be within 2 miles of the real coordinates.

I usually pick one on the lake. Recently, I used my mapping program and when I converted the coordinates, I screwed up and my false coordinates were about 8 miles from the real ones. After the page was published and a few people advised me of what they thought was an error, I had to have the Prime Reviewer change to new coordinates that were within the 2 mile limit...

Remember, that the false coordinates, must be within 2 miles of the real coordinates.

I usually pick one on the lake. Recently, I used my mapping program and when I converted the coordinates, I screwed up and my false coordinates were about 8 miles from the real ones. After the page was published and a few people advised me of what they thought was an error, I had to have the Prime Reviewer change to new coordinates that were within the 2 mile limit...

Not a hard and fast rule - can you say "guideline"? I have one that is over 14 miles from the final, but there was a valid reason so it was allowed.

Not a hard and fast rule - can you say "guideline"? I have one that is over 14 miles from the final, but there was a valid reason so it was allowed.

I'm at 36 miles. I explained why I needed to be that far away and the reviewers agreed. Obvously, it isn't found too much but I came across a situation that just cried out for a cool puzzle, might be the only place in the USA, at least one of the few places, where this worked out.

Curiously, the final has the possibility of messing with the reviewers secret database. I was told that it is possible that someone might place a cache within 1/10 mile and they wouldn't know.

Paul