PDAs

The CacheBandits

I spent more, about $100, and got a Palm Zire 72.

There were many reasons why this was the best choice for ME.

First of all, it has a built in camera which I can use for posting images to my logs. I don't own a digital camera, and it's better to take this along than an expensive camera anyway.

It has a fast processor. I can sort a thousand caches in a second or two.

It has a high resolution color screen. I can copy images of maps from the website, and they are as sharp as what I see on my computer screen.

It can use memory cards, so I can do just about anything with it. I play Sudoku a lot!

It has a voice recorder. I've found lots of uses for this, especially for longer logs about the caches. I can record a LOT of info, then decide what to log when I get home.

It has a metal case. I've dropped it several time without a problem.

It has a built in rechargeable battery. Very convenient and it kept it's charge throughg a 9 day caching trip.

It's blue tooth capable, if you're into that.

The biggest drawback? Reading the screen in bright sunlight.

BTW. I think this unit is a better deal than the new Zire 22 that a lot of people are buying for the same price. That unit is B&W with a low resolution screen.

All in all, I am extremely satisfied with my Palm Zire 72.

I agree with michigansnorkeler. The Palm Zire 72 is a very nice PDA . . . if you want to spend that much money.

That said, I have been using a Palm M500 for a few years now and it is more than sufficient for caching, with Cachemate installed, and with a hard case to protect it. The monochrome screen is easy to see in bright sunlight.

However, I have on my "wishlist" a PDA with a faster processor. <_<

Palm M505 with base, and 2 cases on ebay for 14.50 (what a fluke).

Workds awesome, we can't believe we were able to find anything before we got the PDA a few weeks ago!! A great investment!!

Im interested in getting a PDA for my cache info instead of writing all that info down. if anyone is familiar with doing i this way, let me know how its working for you and good PDAs people are using...

I'm very happy with my HP Pocket PC and GpxSonar software. I also have MS Pocket Streets loaded on the Pocket PC so I can see the placement of caches on a map. I bought the PPC on eBay for $75; they are a bit more expensive than some of the Palm devices--but most PPCs come with a color display. The MS Pocket Streets was purchased on eBay for less than $10, and the GpxSonar is available for free--though a donation is suggested if you like it and continue to use it.

Pocket PCs also have the problem of viewing the screen in bright sunlight, same as the Palm devices with color displays.

You'll want to learn to generate GPX-formated Pocket Queries at geocaching.com, which requires a premium (paid) membership. And you'll also want to run GSAK on your PC to keep track of everything; you'll need a data cable to download from GSAK on your PC to the Pocket PC. GSAK can also download all your cache coordinates to your GPS receiver if it has a data cable--a huge timesaver.

Once you get it all set up and get familiar with its use for geocaching, you'll be amazed how "paperless" simplifies your geocaching. I carry my PPC and GPS receiver with me all the time so I can do spontaneous cache hunting wherever I might find myself in my home county.

Good luck.

--WR